PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Gymnastics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Fridge_Break
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
How does the team tie breaker rule for Regionals work?

They use the 6th (dropped) score for each event. Courtney McCool fell off bars and got a 9.3 which they dropped, but when they ended up tied with Oregon State, that score had to take into effect and it ended up leaving them on the outside looking in, and missing a spot to Nationals.

HeatherC
04-13-2010, 02:48 AM
They use the 6th (dropped) score for each event. Courtney McCool fell off bars and got a 9.3 which they dropped, but when they ended up tied with Oregon State, that score had to take into effect and it ended up leaving them on the outside looking in, and missing a spot to Nationals.

Wow, that's what happened?! That makes it even more heartbreaking for them. She's pretty great on bars too so it's a shock that she fell off at such a big meet. They must not have had that great of a meet overall though if they were battling only for third. I thought they'd win that regional easily. :yikes:

BigB08822
04-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Did you know that Georgia did not win ANY away meets this year? Not a single one!! That tells the story. Their ranking was no doubt thanks to some home scoring on a few occasions. I am not saying they had a horrible season, some of their away scores were probably nice but we all know a team like Georgia gets the benefit of the doubt so their away record shows they have been beatable all season by a number of teams.

Fridge_Break
04-13-2010, 04:52 AM
I didn't notice that, Brian. That's very interesting. Quite honestly, I'm ready to see someone else win the National title, since Georgia has owned it for 5 years in a row. I'm thinking that it's UCLA's title to lose at this point, and I hope they get it. If not them, then I'm hoping for a team that has never won to take it all (Georgia, UCLA, Bama, and Utah are the only schools to do so).

millyskate
04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I looked up Marissa King's routines for Florida, and it seems she's really made for college gymnastics. Very nice to see here doing so well. I hope she can take that experience and bring her improved lines back to the GB squad for the commonwealth games, and possibly stick around for London 2012? because Tweddle aside the team is a complete mess at the moment.

BigB08822
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I looked up Marissa King's routines for Florida, and it seems she's really made for college gymnastics. Very nice to see here doing so well. I hope she can take that experience and bring her improved lines back to the GB squad for the commonwealth games, and possibly stick around for London 2012? because Tweddle aside the team is a complete mess at the moment.

That is shocking. I thought GB was going to make sure to have a talented pool of young girls ready for 2012. It would be horrible to do poorly in front of your own crowd. Is Tweddle still possibly staying in on bars and floor until 2012? I wonder how much of that is pressure from the federation over there.

millyskate
04-17-2010, 11:20 PM
That is shocking. I thought GB was going to make sure to have a talented pool of young girls ready for 2012. It would be horrible to do poorly in front of your own crowd. Is Tweddle still possibly staying in on bars and floor until 2012? I wonder how much of that is pressure from the federation over there.

Tweddle looks like she's staying, as far as I can tell from recent quotes. The GB junior girls had been quite promising, but it's all been falling apart. Nicole Hibbert and Danusia Francis were big hopes, but they've failed to develop high start values (Danusia has been plagued by injuries). Nicole's been hit with puberty and although they are both still around they are putting really messy routines out there. Nothing shabby in terms of being a GB gymnast, but not exactly going to cut it in international competitions.
I think GB has been beaten in all the friendly meets this year by teams they often rival with/beat.
You can watch a sample from the British champs here http://www.british-gymnastics.org/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1240&Itemid=419
It really seriously depressed me! (beam :scream:)

BigB08822
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Nationals begin tomorrow! I was bummed because I had a test schedule right as the meet would be going on for the afternoon session. This is the one LSU is in so I want to see it in case they don't make Super 6! My test got moved to Tuesday, though, so now I can watch!! GEAUX Tigers!

BigB08822
04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Anyone want to watch Session 1 LIVE!? It begins at 1:00 Eastern time. Session 2 starts tonight at 7 ET.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=178159

BigB08822
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
UCLA, Utah and Oklahoma advance to the Super Six from the first session. No big surprise there. Nebraska, Oregon and LSU rounded out the rest. It was an incredibly close meet. Going into the final rotation LSU, Oklahoma and UCLA all had a shot to pass Utah who was ending on a bye. UCLA soared. Oklahoma had one problem on floor but didn't need to count it. LSU had to count a fall on beam and went from fighting for a spot to last. If they got those .500 back from the fall then they would have been .025 behind 3rd place and could have snuck in. So close.

Susan Jackson leads the AA with a 39.625! She had a bad landing on floor so she could have been even higher. She rocked bars, vault and beam. It will be tough for someone to beat it but there are a few who can in the evening session. I hope judging remains consistent. I would love for LSU to have their first ever AA champion!!

Session 2 begins at 7 ET. Same link will let you watch.

karen
04-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I've never watched NCAA gymnastics before, being more of an every-four-year fan. It's pretty interesting!

BigB08822
04-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Susan Jackson won the AA!!! It is the first ever AA win for an LSU gymnast! Congrats!

HeatherC
04-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Congrats to Susan! :)

I am SO HAPPY that I get to see Hollie on TV when they air the Super Six finals!! :cheer2:

HeatherC
04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Session one results (http://www.gatorzone.com/gymnastics/live/?id=8872)

Session two results (http://www.gatorzone.com/gymnastics/live/?id=8873)

Stanford, Alabama, and Florida round out the Super Six which should be a pretty great competition tomorrow night! :)

Random Notes: Oklahoma didn't have a single AAer in the whole competition (interesting strategy that seemed to work for them). That first session was a doozy! The scores were all pretty great. The second one had more of a break between the top teams and the other ones. :eek:

CEPool
04-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Over the MOON for Jackson. Thats awesome!!! Woot!