PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Gymnastics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Fridge_Break
04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I just got my tickets for the Lexington regional! The MSU section [somehow] filled up, so they have a little overflow section going into Nebraska's (since they are farther away and have less tickets sold), which is where I will be. HeatherC, are you planning on going? We're leaving in a few hours and going to spend the night in Louisville! So excited!!

ETA:

Regionals tomorrow!! Yay! I think almost everyone is on Saturday but there might be a regional taking place today or Sunday, not sure, but it has happened occasionally in the past.
Yup, all of them are tomorrow!

HeatherC
04-10-2010, 01:55 AM
We are actually not going after all. I forgot about some plans I had with the other counselors for my church youth group so my mom and I decided not to go tomorrow. It sucks but I'll be anxious to read your reports when I get home from my meeting. Have a GREAT time!! :cheer:

BigB08822
04-11-2010, 03:21 AM
LSU and Oklahoma advanced to Nationals from the Penn State Regional! I don't have scores for everyone but I know Oklahoma won with 197.250 and LSU was 2nd with 196.400 Not sure what Penn State got but I think they were 3rd. LSU and Penn State were practically tied after 3 rotations so it might have been close. Susan Jackson again fell on floor! Not sure what is going on there but that it 2 meets in a row. I guess she knows what to go home and work on.

BigB08822
04-11-2010, 03:36 AM
HUGE NEWS!!!

UGA has failed to qualify! That's right, the 5 time and defending champs wont even be at Nationals. This is shocking! Georgia hasn't been on this year but they should still have managed to not only qualify to Nationals but to also make Super 6, they certainly have the talent. This could be a huge break for a team to make Super 6 who may have otherwise been just outside.

HeatherC
04-11-2010, 03:48 AM
YAY Oklahoma!!!! I was a little worried about them after watching the Big 12 championship last weekend but I'm glad they did all right. I actually might get to see Hollie compete on TV this year! :cheer:

Here's a link if anyone wants to watch some of the regional competitions: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-gym/spec-rel/040910aaa.html

WOW! Georgia didn't make it!?! That's stunning news! Where are you finding the results? I keep searching but haven't found anything concrete yet.

BigB08822
04-11-2010, 03:58 AM
I follow the college gymnastics board:

http://collegegymnasticsboard.yuku.com/forums/1/t/College-Gymnastics-Board.html

I think a few of the Regionals are still going on, I know Utah and UCLA are in the earlier time zones. The qualifiers I know of so far are:

Missouri
Oregon State
LSU
Oklahoma
Alabama
Nebraska

HeatherC
04-11-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm watching the UCLA regional right now and I think they still have two rotations left if you want to watch it. Its great that they have some of them available to watch online! :)

Thanks for the link to that board! I was going a little crazy, LOL :lol:

HeatherC
04-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Stanford and Michigan are in according to the announcers for the UCLA regional and it sounds like Utah made it too. Another school was mentioned with Utah but I can't remember which school they said a few moments ago. EDIT: It was Florida so here's the updated list with the other four schools...

Stanford
Michigan
Utah
Florida
Missouri
Oregon State
LSU
Oklahoma
Alabama
Nebraska

It looks like it will be UCLA and Arkansas to advance from the UCLA regional but they still have one rotation left.

BigB08822
04-11-2010, 04:48 AM
I gotta give props to Susan Jackson. After falling on her very first pass on her first event she rebounded to score 9.95 on vault and bars and 9.900 on beam. Quite the fighter! If she repeats this but hits her floor then she will be fighting for the AA title at NCAA's.

HeatherC
04-11-2010, 05:10 AM
UCLA and Arkansas are officially the last two qualifiers from the LA regional. UCLA apparently had a great meet overall (no major issues at all) but I am BEYOND impressed that they went 6-6 on the beam and not just with good routines, solid routines with little to no bobbles and totally stuck landings! Pretty awesome. Nationals are going to be awesome! :cheer:

CEPool
04-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Stanford
Michigan
Utah
Florida
Missouri
Oregon State
LSU
Oklahoma
Alabama
Nebraska
UCLA
Arkansas

Holy toss up batman. I wish FL was a little closer to New Orleans.

her grace
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
In a million depressions for Georgia :fragile:

So without my favorite team at nationals . . . Roll, Tide, Roll!

BigB08822
04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I predicted early on in the season and will stick to my prediction that UCLA will win this year. They have had the team to do it and now they showed they can put together an entire competition when it counts. If they repeat at Nats then they should win, IMO. I would love for a new team to win, preferably Florida. I am not a fan of OK and their over scoring all season but I shouldn't punish them for that! Of course I would love LSU to win but with their talent and season I think it would be just remarkable if they could beat one of Utah, Oklahoma or UCLA to even make it to the Super 6. That will be tough for them.

Fridge_Break
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I got home from Lexington at about 4am last night :lol: Fun trip, here's the quick rundown...

Final results:
1. Alabama
2. Nebraska
3. Illinois
4. Central Michigan
5. Kentucky
6. Michigan State

Alabama totally was the best team here, but to absolutely do not look like the #1 team in the country right now. Lots of big steps on dismounts (particularly on bars), and a lot of tumbling passes that were landed bent at the hips. The judges really didn't seem to deduct them for all of these, although they obviously did for other teams. Door's open for them now that UGA didn't qualify.

Nebraska looked solid, but their fans were a bit obnoxious. I was sitting behind them in their section because Kentucky fans bought all of the tickets in the MSU section (grr, that just annoys me), and they'd all stand up after every routine, tumbling pass, etc, even if it wasn't done well. Definitely deserved #2 here, though.

Illinois gave it away once again on bars like they did at Big Tens. All of their all-arounders (4) except for one had a miss on an event. And they just didn't seem to be pulling the scores that they did earlier in the season. I think they peaked a bit too early this year. They had good routines on all the events, but few that were great.

Central Michigan went into the last rotation as the only team that mathematically could have knocked off Nebraska for the 2nd spot, but they had quite a few mistakes on bars. They were actually sitting well to finish in 3rd but they counted two scores in the 9.5's and it dropped them behind Illinois. Everything else looked pretty solid, their program has really rocketed upwards in the last few years.

Kentucky's a team that is about 4 or 5 (of 24 competition routines per meet) away from having a really, really dominant program. Their bars were quite weak, but the other events had some great moments. I think the judges were influenced by the crowd reaction on a few of the floor routines, but other than that, they were scored fairly. Counted a fall on beam, that took them out of things.

Michigan State started off with 2 falls in their first 3 routines on bars... so they knew right away that they were out of it. After that, though, they really came out and attacked. Unfortunately, they were completely hosed on their beam scores. They had 6 solid routines, only 2 had noticeable wobbles, yet their highest score was a 9.750. Freshman Shanthi Teike had the best beam routine she'd done all season and scored a 9.625... Kelsey Morley had pretty much a carbon-copy routine of the one that scored her a 9.975 last season, yet got a 9.725. The team's lowest score (9.550) had only a small wobble and a step on the landing... one judge gave her a 9.3 (wtf?), and a girl from Bama did pretty much the same routine with the same deductions and scored a 9.8 average. :confused: Beam was tough all night, but it seemed that the judges knew MSU was the 6th seed going into the event, and held their scores down as a result. Nebraska fans in front of me, and Kentucky fans that were all around where I was sitting were all confused about MSU's beam scores as well.

That was pretty much the only scoring issues I saw. Floor scored high, but was accurately in line among all of the teams. Vault was rewarding stuck landings. Bars' scores were very consistent.

The feel-good story of the whole meet had to be seniors Sarah Schmidt (Illinois) and Nicole Curler (Michigan State), who came into this meet knowing that it could be the last time that they ever step foot on a competition floor, both advanced to nationals as individuals for the All Around. I was sitting by Nicole's mom and she completely broke down in tears when she found out. Both of these gymnasts have done SO much for their respective programs over the last 4 years, they both really deserve it. :)

Rob
04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
How does the team tie breaker rule for Regionals work?