PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Garden Kitty
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
China stripped of the bronze from 2000 (http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=470807.html#china+stripped+bronze+medal+fro m+2000+games?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Fridge_Break
04-28-2010, 05:11 PM
China stripped of the bronze from 2000 (http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=470807.html#china+stripped+bronze+medal+fro m+2000+games?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

I think it's only a matter of time before the 2008 team loses their gold as well.

judgejudy27
04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
I think it's only a matter of time before the 2008 team loses their gold as well.

I doubt that very much. They have done a good job keeping the 2008 team under wraps.

BigB08822
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
So happy for team USA to get their deserved bronze. China was a better team but was not playing by the rules.

2008 should be stripped of its gold but they have gotten better at cheating. I don't think anyone will be able to prove it this time around unless one of them comes forward or makes a big mistake, like the way this case was broken open. There is a chance that can happen because it was obvious that more than one of them was underage. Interestingly enough, it is pretty well agreed upon that another gymnast on the 2000 squad was under age but I don't think it ever was proven, right?

judgejudy27
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
The funny thing is I dont think the 2000 team even needed their 1 or 2 underaged gymnasts to medal. And it is not like they were ever going to do better than the bronze in Sydney even with them either. Although on paper Dong and Yang Yung (the others in question) were their best medal hopes in the AA for sure, and along with Ling Jie in event finals, so maybe that is what they were focusing more on. Liu Xuan was the surprise of the Chinese team by far in Sydney it turned out.

The 2008 team benefits from its underaged gymansts or another level altogether, but as I said I would be amazed if anything ever happens to them.

I am actually glad the 2000 team gets a medal. I know that teams gets alot of heat as the worst U.S team in the years since Seoul but I actually liked them quite a bit. I just wish they had that moment there in the gymnasium that night.

Chris_E
04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Very surprised by this news but glad to see it. Sad for the Chinese team to lose the bronze since I'm sure they didn't have much say in the matter but great for the US girls. I'm sure the medal will never really mean the same as it would have had they received it in Sydney but all least they will know that they played by the rules and got what they deserved in the end.

BigB08822
04-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Well hopefully the 2000 team can get together and have some kind of ceremony/party when their medals all arrive. I wish they could get new ones made instead of receiving the old ones. What if they haven't been taken care of, or what if someone lost or sold theirs?

Rob
04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
The US team did not compete well in Sydney, but when I think of all the flack they took at the time, this is a nice little bit of redemption for them. They'll never have those photos on the podium, but they should have some sort of celebration.

Loves_Shizuka
04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, it's a fair conclusion really, but I feel for the gymnasts themselves, because this was almost not their fault/decision etc. Sigh. Why cheat?!

On the flipside, I'm really happy for Dominique Dawes in particular. ;)

LuckyCharm
04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
The US team did not compete well in Sydney, but when I think of all the flack they took at the time, this is a nice little bit of redemption for them. They'll never have those photos on the podium, but they should have some sort of celebration.

I was very impressed with their 4th place performance in the team final after their less than stellar prelims. Hadn't they finished 6th at the previous 2 world championships? In my eyes, it was a very respectable performance.

Hooray for Dominique Dawes, who is now even more awesome than she was yesterday! Congrats to all the US ladies on their Olympic medal. I can't help but feel bad for the Chinese gymnasts who were of age. Thank goodness Liu Xuan still has her beam gold:cheer2:. Oh yeah, and her all-around bronze.:rolleyes: I can imagine how much that team medal meant to her though.

Beefcake
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I doubt that very much. They have done a good job keeping the 2008 team under wraps.
Most likely, yes, that it will come out years from now, past the point where anything would be done about it.

But, as I am 95% sure that China 2008 cheated despite their "paperwork being in order," I have this :saint: wish that a pissed off neighbor -- sick of a barking dog or disputing property boundaries -- will pop up with a birth announcement or kindergarten class photo of one of the 2008 Olympic team embryos.

You just KNOW there are hundreds of possible watershed documents out there ... neighbors whose kid was born the same month as the subject athletes, 1st birthday party flyers, school records, etc. ... that are under wraps for now. With just a bit of resentment, or :lol: some classmate seeking his/her 15 minutes of fame via YouTube, the truth could leak eventually.

As for 2000, this is definitely the fair thing to do. Getting a "used" medal, 10 years later, seems odd, though. Kind of a Goodwill Store medal? Since this is the latest in 13+ medal returns/rewardings for the Sydney Games, I'm wondering if they'll be minting a few dozen extras each Games now so that future "true winners" will have a fresh medal? :P

So, this is just ONE medal for the US ladies 2000? Wow, I remember the USA girls underperforming, but I hadn't realized that they didn't "take home" even one medal.

Rob
04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I was very impressed with their 4th place performance in the team final after their less than stellar prelims. Hadn't they finished 6th at the previous 2 world championships? In my eyes, it was a very respectable performance.

The prelims were not good and only Elise Ray qualified for an event final. Then she finished last in beam. The team final was respectable, but then their best AA finish was 13th. I recall at least a couple of scores in the 8s. Overall, they did not perform well.

Loves_Shizuka
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I can imagine how much that team medal meant to her though.

And poor Kui Yuanyuan; I remember her saying this was the proudest moment of her life. It's sad for innocent one's like her. :(

judgejudy27
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I remember the U.S womens team rocked bars in the Sydney final. Their biggest problems were Chow underperforming on vault and beam, and Ray underperforming on beam and floor. Chow and Ray both messing up their beam routines killed them as both were capable of scoring in the 9.7 range and only scored in the 9.1s. The U.S womens team wasnt that strong a beam team to begin with so they needed both of them to really nail their routines like they had done in prelims, and when they didnt they gave up alot of ground. Even with everyone doing their best I am not sure if they would have reached China's point total or not though. As well the Chinese botched floor in team finals basically so also could have done better (thank goodness now they didnt), and of course the Russians really blew beam and each of their 4 big guns had a fall on one event each. The only team that did their best was the Romanians and maybe the Spanish.

I dont know if the U.S had anyone that was capable of medalling in the AA in Sydney even with the mess it became. Ray, Chow, and Maloney were all capable of making top 10 probably, and Ray maybe top 5 given all the other things that happened. Event finals I definitely dont see anyone who could have medaled on any event.

Rob
04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Bars was their best event, but I recall some of them did well on floor too - Dantzcher and Maloney anyway. Bars in prelims was really disappointing - Chow was reining silver medalist and Ray made bars final at Worlds in 1999 I think it was. Not sure if they could have pulled off a medal in bars, but they should have made the EF anyway. Of course, bars was after vaultgate, wasn't it.