PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

Cloudy_Gumdrops
08-28-2010, 05:08 AM
I think the FIG needs to start mandating Low Bar usage. I'm not sure how...maybe have a rule that says that at least 1/3 of a UB routine must have low bar work.

I think that would be a great idea.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I know it'd be nearly impossible but I'd love to see a high scoring UB routine with mostly low bar work. It's been so long that I forget what the low bar looks like.

BigB08822
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I think I read that Sui Lu ended up winning the Chinese National title. I don't remember details but I think her score was 56.9 which is not very high. I guess Jiang had issues.

AlexDSSF
08-30-2010, 12:27 AM
You know what I have never liked about gymnastics? There does not seem to be a lot of visible growth on the international scene. At the Olympics, it's usually the same countries who win the medals. It's almost rare to see someone NOT from a country with a great tradition in the sport come up the ranks and win an Olympic medal. It's more common on the men's side of things, but it's almost unheard of on the women's side. In figure skating, at least, we're seeing competitors win medals at the Olympics, at Worlds, and on the junior and senior Grand Prix circuits. I mean, South Korea had virtually no history in the sport until Yu-na Kim came along. The pairs' program in China was the laughingstock of the skating world 30 years ago, and now look at where it's at. And figure skating is a very expensive sport and doesn't have nearly the same reach as gymnastics does, which is relative of course. And many figure skaters from developing countries train and live in North America, and as a result the sport has benefited immensely. In fact, many Olympic sports have benefited from their respective athletes training outside their countries and in more accommodating environments. Gymnastics is one of the few sports that doesn't have anything like that. You may see gymnastic coaches from Russia or China or Romania or the US training budding athletes in developing countries, but you almost never see gymnasts going overseas to train, not even to the US. I suspect that there is something in gymnastics that doesn't allow for national federations to, as it were, give their secrets of success to the opposition.

Fridge_Break
08-30-2010, 03:52 AM
AlexDSSF, I am not 100% positive on the reasoning as to why, but my guesses would revolve around the fact that gymnastics has a team competition, and the aspect of national team training centers/camps seem to be popular among the most successful countries. I think that might be part of the reason why we don't see gymnasts move abroad to train, since it would be difficult to be in the "in-crowd" with their respective national team. Additionally, the gymnasts from countries that have team success have the advantage of additional competition experience during the team competition finals. That's just my guess.

chipso1
08-30-2010, 04:00 AM
We've also seen some teams doing well in recent years that haven't been historical powerhouses. Brazil and Australia come to mind, and it seems like the Japanese ladies are making a "comeback" of sorts.

bek
08-30-2010, 04:08 AM
We've also seen some teams doing well in recent years that haven't been historical powerhouses. Brazil and Australia come to mind, and it seems like the Japanese ladies are making a "comeback" of sorts.

Britian has been doing well lately to in the women's and men's field. And the Japanese women are getting pretty good as well. (The men I don't think could ever be called bad nor on the comeback when they were the Olympic Champs in 2004.

chipso1
08-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Britian has been doing well lately to in the women's and men's field. And the Japanese women are getting pretty good as well. (The men I don't think could ever be called bad nor on the comeback when they were the Olympic Champs in 2004.

Yep, I said Japanese ladies. I forgot it's "women" in gymnastics. ;)

I forgot about the British ladies...they are the current Euro silver medalists, and the men do have a number of strong gymnasts, too. London 2012 should be exciting for them on home soil!

BigB08822
08-30-2010, 05:41 AM
I think Shannon Miller went to do some training in the Soviet Union. This was more of a "field trip" than anything, though. This was also before the US had such a centralized way of choosing teams. I don't think it was such a big deal when making the World or Olympic team was almost solely based on performances at Nationals and Trials.

Mayra
08-30-2010, 06:10 AM
This user has videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Komova2012

What happened to the Chinese!? :eek: Maybe it was an off competition, but they usually have flair and style to their routines. It all just seemed kinda blah. Mad skills, but definitely underwhelming.

:(

Allen
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
What happened to the Chinese!? :eek: Maybe it was an off competition, but they usually have flair and style to their routines. It all just seemed kinda blah. Mad skills, but definitely underwhelming.

I agree. I went to those videos thinking I was going to be blown away and I really wasn't at all. There were some cool skills, but everything seemed really workmanlike to me.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-30-2010, 07:03 PM

They finally realized those things like flair and style are not needed to win competitions under this Code and joined the rest of the big countries in only caring about completing skills. Plus they think having Adi Pop doing their FX would be enough to make it look like they put effort in their FX choreography like the U.S. and Romania.

That's why the new Russians and the Japanese are a breath of fresh air.

BigB08822
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
It is really a shame if China turns themselves into a bunch of bots. If we had China and Russia 1-2 with their huge skills AND style then maybe other countries would take notice and work on that themselves! Instead China will probably dominate and Russia will end up ditching their style for substance as well and things will go on as normal. I just think there is a real chance to change things around but not if China isn't with the idea.

Rob
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Danafan. They absolutely need to address that. There needs to be a flat penalty for not doing enough on the low bar, not just losing any points from the D score depending on what you had planned.

Yes, I think you should lose at least a point for doing the high bar. Total shame if China is going to code whore now too.

senorita
09-01-2010, 01:28 AM
aaaarg i entered to buy tickets for individul finals at worlds and are all sold out
any other site rather than official?