PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

LKR
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
On Beam, your argument makes more sense as there are several D rated dance elements to chose from, but iirc she's never competed anything past a C, save for her switch-ring (E). If she can get the switch ring back, she'll still have 2 "C" elements, so her total from dance elements will be 1.1, which isn't too shabby. I think the highest 3 dance elements possible is 1.5, in theory. And if she can upgrade her switch 1/4 to a switch 1/2, there's another .1.

ETA2 - I've lost my mind, she never did a switch ring on beam - or did she?

She never did a switch ring on beam. I don't think adding a switch 1/2 would help Shawn at all, as her regular split position never hit 180 degrees in the air, while her side split position was actually pretty good.

BigB08822
08-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Predicting Shawn will win the 2012 Olympic AA title is hilarious. It isn't impossible but to predict something when we have NO idea how her comeback will go is just outlandish. In a way, it is a very safe prediction because you will look like a genius if you are right but if you are wrong you can find 10,000 excuses why it didn't work out.

AlexDSSF
08-07-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm sorry, but I never liked Shawn Johnson. I hated how the media shoved her down our throats in 2008. I was relieved when Nastia won the AA. And I am still stunned at how she won Dancing with the Stars in Spring 2009. I thought she was incredibly annoying.

museksk8r
08-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm sorry, but I never liked Shawn Johnson. I hated how the media shoved her down our throats in 2008. I was relieved when Nastia won the AA. And I am still stunned at how she won Dancing with the Stars in Spring 2009. I thought she was incredibly annoying.

Totally agree. She's like gymnastics answer to Tara Lipinski . . . compact and athletic, but very little in the way of sophistication, artistry, and pleasing body line. I've always preferred to watch and cheer on women instead of little girls. :shuffle:

oleada
08-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I agree. I was never a Shawn fan, and I was incredibly happy when Nastia won, as her gymnastics is much more to my taste.

Loves_Shizuka
08-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Well...I appreciate what Shawn does and think she's a very talented young woman. But I also remember when I first saw her gymnastics; I'd heard alot about her and heard all this hype about how amazing she was; then I watched the 07 worlds and was so disappointed, because her style is exactly what I don't particularly like and what I worry alot of gym is becoming these days. To be honest I was kinda horrified.

judgejudy27
08-07-2010, 01:45 PM
And you want to call Miller's 1993 field weak. Shawn wasn't exactly competiting against a strong field. Nastia her biggest competition was coming back from a major injury and wasn't nearly as strong as she was pre injury in 2006 and in 2008. Barbosa is a headcase, Ferrari never goes 4/4 and Nistor is messy. The fact is Shawn improved in 2008 but nearly lost the silver medal. Amazed that you could call 1993 weak but say that the field Shawn and frankly Nastia in 2008 was facing was strong. To be quite frank I think the all around field has been very weak lately and it seems to be finally getting stronger now.

1993 was by far the worst field in history, it was way worse than 2007 or 2008. Miller in her best ever form was the only high point and she should have won all 5 golds in a cakewalk but had to settle for 3 due to an illness on the day of event finals and mistakes on beam throughout Worlds. Gina Gogean had a 9.8 start value on vault, 9.9 on bars, 9.8 on beam, and 9.9 on floor, and still was 0.07 from winning the AA which Miller managed to win inspite of a botched beam set. Lysenko was past her prime and a shadow of her 90-92 self yet still would have won without her out of bounds on floor, or without her wobbles on beam, or if she had been credited with her Yaeger to shoot to handstand which would have given her a 10 start value instead of 9.9, or if she had been scored fairly on her double yurchenko vaults, basically just any 1 of those 4 things. And Dawes with embarassing form at that point would have won the AA if she didnt fall on vault. Dawes was much closer to the gymnast who had the 26th highest AA total in the team event in Barcelona than her 94-96 self at that point, but with the ghastly field somehow became a contender at those Worlds. Milosovici was in her worst shape ever and probably still would have won the AA with how the others performed if she didnt fall on beam. However I am not just talking about the AA, but event finals as well. Cacovean winning a medal on bars, Annia Hatch in bar finals (ROTFL), an out of shape Milo winning beam by 0.125 with a tenative and wobbly routine, Gogean winning a medal on beam with a 9.8 start value, Bobrova winning a medal on floor, I could go on forever here. The AA fields of late arent the best because the system encourages gymnasts to focus on 1, 2, or 3 events as opposed to 4, but the event final fields are the toughest ever.

And many felt Shawn was scored unfairly at the Games. Not that she would have won the AA even if she had, but she probably would have been alot closer and not "nearly lost the silver".

mkats
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I like Shawn Johnson's gymnastics :shuffle: and was cheering for her to win the 2008 AA, but I don't think she was unfairly scored there. Nastia just couldn't have had a better night.

I wrote to her in 2007 and within a couple of weeks received a lovely signed photo and a handwritten letter. About a month after she won worlds, I got another one :lol: I never figured out if she just got confused and thought she'd forgotten to respond, but I thought it was sweet in any case.

bek
08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
And many felt Shawn was scored unfairly at the Games. Not that she would have won the AA even if she had, but she probably would have been alot closer and not "nearly lost the silver".

Unfairly? Shawn was lucky to have that Amanar credited. And she wasn't hitting her leaps on beam which fairly hurt her.

judgejudy27
08-07-2010, 03:37 PM
She was scored kindly on vault but many felt she was underscored throughout the Games on bars, beam, and floor.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry to derail a pretty interesting conversation about Shawn Johnson, but Amy Chow got married and there's a small video of the ceremony.

http://vimeo.com/13448902

I have to say that's a very classy ceremony and she looks the best I've ever seen her.

bek
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
She was scored kindly on vault but many felt she was underscored throughout the Games on bars, beam, and floor.

But we are talking about 8 tenths for that vault alone. An well Shawn's issues on floor were quite predictable as were her issues on beam, and she wasn't that screwed on bars either.

To be quite frank I'll say this. I still don't understand how you can deny Miller as the best USA girl ever when Miller was competitive against the Soviets by arguing that she won one weak world championships. But then talk about Shawn being unbeatable in 2007. The field in 2007 was so weak that two girls Ferrari and Barbosa medaled in the All Around with freakin falls.

Kiss My 1040
08-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I just love broken records.

bek
08-08-2010, 04:57 AM
I just love broken records.

I realize that I may sound like a broken record and for the record I don't hate Shawn. I much prefer her to lets say Sloan or Ferrari as world champions. But to call Shawn the best US gymnast ever is ridiculous. I wouldn't even say Nastia is that either.

Loves_Shizuka
08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry to derail a pretty interesting conversation about Shawn Johnson, but Amy Chow got married and there's a small video of the ceremony.

http://vimeo.com/13448902

I have to say that's a very classy ceremony and she looks the best I've ever seen her.

Aww, thanks for the vid, it looks like a wonderful occasion! :D