PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sk9tingfan
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Is anyone here attending Nationals in Hartford?

I've never been to a gymnastics event, but with Nationals so close to me, I'm seriously thinking of going. I'm sure like skating, it's very different to see it live.

I'll be there since it's only about 20 minutes away from my home; less for the sessions at the University of Hartford. How could I not go?

OlieRow
07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Is anyone here attending Nationals in Hartford?

I've never been to a gymnastics event, but with Nationals so close to me, I'm seriously thinking of going. I'm sure like skating, it's very different to see it live.

Olympic Trials in Philly was my first meet (not counting podium training when I was 10 in Atlanta) and my parents and I had a blast. I had never paid much attention to the men before but seeing how big and high their skills were was amazing. I ended up cheering just as hard for them and their bronze as I did the ladies. One bit of advice, the US Gymnastics website will have the start lists for each rotation on their website ahead of time but we didn't see them anywhere in the arena at Trials. You might want to print out the sheet and take it with you to help ID gymnasts.

CEPool
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I will most likely be there ... but I have attended Congress for several years in a row now. (Im from CT - so this is exciting for me!)

LKR
07-15-2010, 02:01 AM
I've heard from a reliable source that Paul Hamm is definitely coming back.

judgejudy27
07-15-2010, 02:13 AM
I've heard from a reliable source that Paul Hamm is definitely coming back.

Why? Some athletes dont realize when their time is up.

BigB08822
07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Well, I know very little about mens gymnastics right now but with the crazy 3 up 3 count format, there can be a place for a gymnast who is super strong on a few events. So, maybe he wont be worth crap but if he can post big numbers on 2-3 events then he might be worth taking, even if he is useless on the other events. I think comebacks are more likely now because a gymnast can focus on their strengths and not have to be fighting for a top 3 AA spot all the time like in the past.

museksk8r
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I seriously hope Danell Leyva has a strong meet at the Visa Championships. He's my dream National AA Champ! :swoon:

Allen
07-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I seriously hope Danell Leyva has a strong meet at the Visa Championships. He's my dream National AA Champ! :swoon:

ME TOO! I love his high bar set. The rest of the events are a little:confused: to me for me, but I like him more than any other current male American gymnast.

chipso1
07-17-2010, 02:08 AM
:sekret:This is unofficial until confirmed by USA Gymnastics, but apparently Kayla Williams broke her foot and is out of both the CoverGirl Classic and U.S. Nationals.

WOGA junior Grace McLaughlin is out for the season as well, issuing this statement:

Grace has been working hard all year upgrading and was preparing for the US Covergirl Classic in Chicago, IL. However, Grace is going to change focus to healing her injury, so she will not be competing at the US Covergirl Classic or VISA Championships. She will be preparing for the 2011 season, where she will put in other upgrades in for her senior debut.

An article about Classics: (http://www.insidegymnastics.com/content/show/newsarticle.aspx?articleid=855&zoneid=1)

Sloan, who has spent much of her post-Worlds-winning year gearing up after going non-stop after Beijing, is recovered from the minor ankle injury that held her back at the Pacific Rim and is planning on doing a “couple of events” in Chicago as a tune-up for USA’s next month in Connecticut, according to coach Marvin Sharp.

“It just took a little time,” Sharp says of Sloan’s brief recovery period. “It wasn’t a huge issue; didn’t require any major work. Just rest a little bit; ease her back into training.”

-------

Sloan has used her downtime so far this season to work on new skills and sequences on all four events, though she likely won’t be making major additions until after Worlds. “I don’t know [what else we’ll add this year,] we’ll have to see how things go,” explains Sharp. “We can only do so much. Too many changes make it hard to compete. So we’ve made a few small changes, but bars are the most dramatic. … It’s all part of our plan for 2011, 2012.”

Sharp’s other Olympian, Samantha Peszek, still doesn’t have a plan in place for this year. Peszek, who will start UCLA in the fall and is still on the mend after 2009 shoulder surgery, remains undecided about competing at USAs. “We’re waiting until the last minute,” says Sharp, “[to] see where she’s going.”

Also on track for Classic, World runner-up Rebecca Bross, who will likely compete on two events in Chicago. Bross plans to debut some new skills on beam, and, like Sloan, is working on upgrades on all four of her events in preparation for the London push.

“We have a few new skills on beam; we’ve upgraded there,” coach Valeri Liukin tells Inside. “The other three events, following the USA we’ll be upgrading. We’re working on skills for next year, and the year after. Just taking it step by step.”

Liukin also reports that Bross is healthy aside from a minor ankle issue—the coach called it “a little loose, but not bad”—and hopes for big things.

Sacramone plans to perform on beam and vault, the same events she hopes to tackle at USAs.

“Hopefully everything goes well and I’ll take it from there,” says Sacramone. “I am having a good time. I’m definitely taking a balance of work and play. For instance, [last week] I had a hard morning practice and then spent the rest of the day just hanging at the beach. Life is good. My body is holding up. I can’t complain.”

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-17-2010, 05:13 AM
:sekret:This is unofficial until confirmed by USA Gymnastics, but apparently Kayla Williams broke her foot and is out of both the CoverGirl Classic and U.S. Nationals.

What a surprise, or you know, not. MLT strikes again. Parents really gotta stop sending their kids to that injury factory.

Allen
07-17-2010, 05:26 AM
What a surprise, or you know, not. MLT strikes again. Parents really gotta stop sending their kids to that injury factory.

When it was first announced that Kayla was going to MLT, someone said that she (MLT) has a habit of breaking gymnasts, kind of spooky foreshadowing, huh?

Let's hope 1) that Kayla recovers soon and 2) that Alicia can do the rudi again because we need a big vault.

BigB08822
07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
When it was first announced that Kayla was going to MLT, someone said that she (MLT) has a habit of breaking gymnasts, kind of spooky foreshadowing, huh?

Let's hope 1) that Kayla recovers soon and 2) that Alicia can do the rudi again because we need a big vault.

Don't worry! Every single girl from level 10 up is training an Amanar, didn't you know! :lol:

chipso1
07-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Don't worry! Every single girl from level 10 up is training an Amanar, didn't you know! :lol:

So true! Wieber has an amanar, and I've heard both Sloan and Raisman are very close with theirs.

Domshabfan
07-18-2010, 10:10 AM
So true! Wieber has an amanar, and I've heard both Sloan and Raisman are very close with theirs.

I don't know how you are able to say Sloan and Raisman are close to having an amanar, we are yet to see them do it in competition or even see a practice video of them trying it. Only person who is doing an amanar seems to be Komova, who has landed it 3 or 4 times this year.

as for Weiber, she did her amanar more than one and half year ago, since then she has grown a lot. If you claim Weiber still has an amanar i guess we can include Nabieva too has an amanar. If you like believing in rumours(like with sloan and Raisman) we should give nabieva credit for triple twisting Yushenko (her coach did suggest she was practicing some time ago). Further more, i will add to your rumour list, by adding Musina with Chuso vault and Myzrdrikova with Khorkina-2 vault.

So lets just believe what we have seen consistently being done...That is Komova has an amanar, Un Jong with Cheng fei, chuso with her vault etc...

chipso1
07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know how you are able to say Sloan and Raisman are close to having an amanar, we are yet to see them do it in competition or even see a practice video of them trying it. Only person who is doing an amanar seems to be Komova, who has landed it 3 or 4 times this year.

as for Weiber, she did her amanar more than one and half year ago, since then she has grown a lot. If you claim Weiber still has an amanar i guess we can include Nabieva too has an amanar. If you like believing in rumours(like with sloan and Raisman) we should give nabieva credit for triple twisting Yushenko (her coach did suggest she was practicing some time ago). Further more, i will add to your rumour list, by adding Musina with Chuso vault and Myzrdrikova with Khorkina-2 vault.

So lets just believe what we have seen consistently being done...That is Komova has an amanar, Un Jong with Cheng fei, chuso with her vault etc...

Wieber still has an Amanar. Her only competition so far this season was the Junior Pac Rim Championships, where she was not allowed to perform it (per the rules of that competition). That's why she did her DTY instead. Per camp reports, her growth (has she really grown that much anyway?) has not seemed to affect her vault in a negative way.

Sloan and Raisman have been seen (from reliable sources) at National Training Camps this year doing Amanar's also.

You don't have to be so rude, either. I don't post lies and unsubstantiated rumors here. :rolleyes: