PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

princesssnake
06-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah, it sucks to think she was only .025 out of a spot in beam finals and almost a sure medal if she hit a good set. Since Johnson would have been out, she would have gone in as the 3rd highest qualifier. She would have been fighting for gold, in reality but woulda coulda shoulda, I guess...

'woulda coulda shoulda' is right, I used to be a competitive national gymnast and many times a 'bobble' or step out made the difference between placing, especially with me I found it hard to stick the landings and maintain control.

BigB08822
06-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Ohhh, a competitive national gymnast? DISH!!! I know you got some good stuff to tell us. :watch: :)

chipso1
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
With Sacramone coming back, it's going to be interesting how Marta and company piece together the World team this year.

You have to imagine that Rebecca Bross, Bridget Sloan and Aly Raisman are near locks, but there's a lot of other girls competing for just three spots:

Sacramone and Kayla Williams: I can't imagine both of them going to Worlds because I think the U.S. team desperately needs another bar worker and a back-up bar worker should any injuries occur. Right now I would give the edge to Alicia, because 1) she's not really needed on FX anyway, and 2) she would be a great addition to BB (as well as VT). Also, her experience would really help the team, IMO.

Mackenzie Caquatto and Cassie Whitcomb: I think Caquatto has greater scoring potential, especially on UB, but she can seriously implode, too (like this year during her FX at Jesolo). If Marta was smart, she would take both girls in the event of an injury that takes out a strong bar worker. Caquatto also has a great DTY vault and a nice beam set. Caquatto's D-score on bars at Jesolo was 6.2, and Whitcomb's was a 5.9, which are some of the highest of all the U.S. girls.

The rest: Kytra Hunter has a nice DTY vault and some of the most difficult tumbling on FX (including a double layout and a piked double arabian). She's weak on bars, but I think she has a shot at making the FX final at Worlds if she goes completely clean during prelims. Amanda Jetter doesn't really contribute a whole lot to the team, and for some reason I thought her UB start value was higher than 5.3, but that's what she was credited with at Jesolo. Morgan Smith was 4th AA at Jesolo, but her scores weren't that impressive and I can't see her on the team.

My (early, pre-Classic, pre-Nationals) pick for the World team: Bross, Caquatto, Raisman, Sacramone, Sloan, Whitcomb. Alts: Hunter, Williams.

Fridge_Break
06-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Aren't we down to a 5-member team this quad? I believe the prelims are 5-5-4 and the team finals are 5-3-3, or at least that's what I remember hearing.

chipso1
06-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Aren't we down to a 5-member team this quad? I believe the prelims are 5-5-4 and the team finals are 5-3-3, or at least that's what I remember hearing.

I thought I read that the 5-member squad isn't until London? I believe it's still 6 gymnasts per team for this year's Worlds.

ETA: Yep. Also, prelims in London will be 5-4-3 according to this:

I find it odd that the team size for the 2010 and 2011 World Championships will remain at six, when the 2012 Olympics will feature five-member teams. I suppose the upside is that one more gymnast gets to experience a world championships, even if he or she never makes it to the Olympics.

and

So the 2012 Olympics will feature a 5-4-3 format in prelims, and 5-3-3 in team finals.

http://www.intlgymnast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1309:stretching-out-chinese-ages-new-olympic-format&catid=8:stretching-out&Itemid=130

BigB08822
06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Sacramone has a good chance if she is serious about training. She has a little help because Williams was apparently out of the gym entirely for quite a while during her fiasco. That put her back some, I am sure. Is Raisman really that much of a lock? I loved what I saw from her at the one event but I haven't heard much else about her. I liked her a lot so I hope it is true!

What is going on with Liukin? She decided to take this year off and then come back next season? I can't remember what she decided to do. I suppose the same is true for Johnson, any actual comeback will manifest itself next season?

mkats
06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Personally I don't think Liukin will be back until 2012, if ever. She's formally off the national team now and serving as athlete representative for USAG/FIG, so I would imagine being on the team herself would be a bit of a conflict of interest. We could really use her on bars, but rumor has it that she wants to just do BB and FX if she comes back.

Never would have thought that Sacramone would be the first one to make a comeback! I can't wait to see her at Classics.

chipso1
06-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Is Raisman really that much of a lock? I loved what I saw from her at the one event but I haven't heard much else about her. I liked her a lot so I hope it is true!

IMO, she is. She's scored very well at the Pac Rim Championships (VT: 15.35, UB: 13.75, BB: 14.8, FX: 14.35, total: 58.250). Her bars are weak, but they're not Sacramone-bad, and I think she could potentially challenge for an AA spot at Worlds, especially with Bross' inconsistency and if Sloan's injury continues to hamper her. Heck, she could even challenge for an AA medal this year!

What is going on with Liukin? She decided to take this year off and then come back next season? I can't remember what she decided to do. I suppose the same is true for Johnson, any actual comeback will manifest itself next season?

If Nastia was smart, she would focus solely on UB and BB, and forget about trying to get floor back. We only really need her on bars anyway, but it would be nice to have another strong beam worker, too. She has said that she'll resume training in 2011, but we'll see...

oleada
06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Raisman is a lock, but I doubt she'd be an AA threat. Her bars are too weak, and I don't think the US will like to count her score.

ITA re: Nastia. The US is really lacking in the UB department, and it's an event were the score tend to be high and benefit toward team competition (see China), and beam isn't their strongest event either, and Bross is pretty inconsistent on it.

I doubt she'll come back, though.

chipso1
06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Raisman won't be doing UB during team finals, and they can drop her score in prelims if need be. However, her AA numbers have been really strong this season -- higher than all of the other seniors except for Bross. Mitchell and Tsurumi haven't really competed internationally this season, but they have their weak events too. I imagine the AAers from the U.S. will be Bross and Sloan, but I think Raisman will be right there should either of them falter.

Can't wait for Classics and Nationals! I think they'll both be very telling.

oleada
06-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Raisman won't be doing UB during team finals, and they can drop her score in prelims if need be. However, her AA numbers have been really strong this season -- higher than all of the other seniors except for Bross. Mitchell and Tsurumi haven't really competed internationally this season, but they have their weak events too. I imagine the AAers from the U.S. will be Bross and Sloan, but I think Raisman will be right there should either of them falter.

Can't wait for Classics and Nationals! I think they'll both be very telling.

I keep thinking about all the scores counting. All these changes...and we just talked about it upthread. :duh:

Theatregirl1122
06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so forgive me if it is in the wrong place.

I'm not a huge gymnastics fan. I usually watch Nationals and Worlds/Olympics when I remember (just artistic gymnastics). But I live in the Hartford area so I was thinking about going to the Championships this year. Since I've never seen a live gymnastics competition I was wondering if anyone had any advice as far as what would be most interesting to see, where I should sit, if there is a point at which I'd be too far away to really see anything, etc. I'm basically just looking for any advice. I'm familiar with the XL center itself but I've never seen it set up for gymnastics. And I don't know anything about what watching a live Gymnastics competition is like. Will I only be able to see the apparatuses that I'm sitting closest to? etc.

BreakfastClub
06-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I went to Gymnastics Nationals in 2001 when it was in Philly - like you I'm not a huge fan, but I am a fan and thought it would be fun. That year, despite being Nationals it was held at a smaller basketball arena on Temple U's campus, not at Philly's big NBA/NHL arena. There are definitely lessons learned!

Biggest heads up is that I found it impossible to focus when all 4 (or 6 for men) events are going on simultaneously and scores are popping up constantly. Total chaos. Make sure you're aware of which rotation the top contenders are in and keep your eye out for them on each apparatus. It's so easy to miss someone with so much going on and just accept the fact that two top contenders might be performing at the same time and you will miss something.

Which brings me to...

In comparison to skating which is so much more interesting live, I think gymnastics is much better on TV and not just for the editing of simultaneous performances so you don't miss anything. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it's probably due the fact that the movement across the ice - the speed, the flight in jumps, ice coverage, the breeze when they go by, the sound of the blades etc. - is hard or harder to perceive on TV. So live skating has added dimensions. OTOH, gymnastics is much more static. Amplitude and power are easy to compare, and the small breaks that affect gymn scores are actually harder to see from a distance, so seeing it live didn't add any real new dimensions - at least for me.

I think the apparatus have the same layout for all podium events (a more savvy gymn person please correct me if that's wrong.) If that's true, be careful where you sit. I'd strongly recommend trying to sit up a bit higher (at least 10 rows back) and sit as close to the middle as possible, otherwise you'll miss a decent view of at least one women's apparatus and probably a couple of men's apparatus.

We bought tix on the same side of the arena as the bars but in the opposite corner in a low row and therefore never comfortably saw a bar routine without leaning far forward and straining or standing. (Sort of like sitting on the same side but far end from the lutz corner and having to constantly lean forward.) Also, bars is much better straight-on from the side - you can really see the swing - than from any other angle. I ended up moving for one rotation and squatting in an empty seat just so I could take in some bar work. Of course, if you sit down near the bars for the good view of that apparatus, the tradeoff is losing a stellar beam view. ;) I spent the entire weekend with a first class beam seat at the expense of bars. Note that the vaulting table is also down the same end with the bars just on the other side. We could still see it, it was just far away. But I'd guess if you're sitting on that side of the arena you can see bars and beam but you run the risk of missing out on vault if you're not at the same end as the table. ;)

I never felt any great desire to go back but it was definitely worth the one experience. 2001 was a crappy year for the senior ladies with all the Olympians gone except Schweikert, who mailed it in. The smartest thing we did was buy tix to the junior ladies - Kupets, Vise, Uzelac, and Patterson battled it out and outdid all the seniors. And then Shannon Miller came back for exhibition performances and she put them all to shame with her form and lightness while still throwing some tough tricks, and it was abundantly clear to me what made her such a great champion. :)

Karpenko
06-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I think Nastia coming back will depend a lot on how the US looks at Worlds this year, there is such a huge hole on bars that if she came back for just UB/BB, she'd be on the team no matter what.

Looking ahead to 2012, If we have Bross, Weiber, Nastia, Sloan, and Raisman/other good vaulter (Zamarripa!) we'd have a pretty darn competitive team with no glaring weakness anywhere. I would say bars but based on her PAC routine, Bridget can break 15 now on this event if she hits it. If she can stay healthy and build on that, we're going to need her there really badly and she can sub on any of the other events as well.

I'm really interested to see what Russia and Japan look like next year.

Karpenko
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh BTW, I say Vanessa Zamarripa because she just tested at an international elite qualifier (she was level 10 before college) and qualified for for the US Nationals this year. :D Wouldn't that be awesome if she made it to Worlds? She's training a Cheng vault according to an interview she gave.