PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

lukeanthony
06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm not convinced Bross will be the next best thing. Her form is sloppy and apart from her beam dismount, her difficulty really isn't top of the world. I thought she was better as a junior.

judgejudy27
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I hope Bross doesnt win the World AA title. Her gymnastics does nothing for me. A gymnast like her makes me wish we were back under the 10 system. I dont think she would have done as well under that.

oleada
06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm not convinced Bross will be the next best thing. Her form is sloppy and apart from her beam dismount, her difficulty really isn't top of the world. I thought she was better as a junior.

I really hope Mustafina can beat Bross for the AA title. "Soulless automaton" describes Bross's gymnastics perfectly.

lukeanthony
06-06-2010, 11:04 PM
That would be glorious if Mustafina won the AA. Then to see the battle in 2011 between Mustafina and Komova leading to London 2012!

oleada
06-06-2010, 11:05 PM
If Mustafina can keep it up, it would be an interesting battle between her, Komova & Grishina for the two Russian AA spots. IIRC, Komova already beat Mustafina at nationals.

chipso1
06-07-2010, 01:55 AM
While Bross may well be in London in 2012, I think she will be outclassed by a healthy Jordyn Wieber, by far. Kyla Ross needs to add some difficulty, but with her terrific execution she could challenge Bross in a few years, too.

BigB08822
06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
I don't see Bross contending for gold in 2012 if the younger girls don't become injured or succumb to the puberty monster. They all can match or exceed her difficulty and can outclass her in execution, not to mention artistic integrity. In all honesty, I think Bross will be fighting just to be a top 2 AA from team USA. She will certainly be a medal contender if she keeps everything as is but I think an outside shot at bronze is her best hope and that is really only because 2 Russians and 1 other American will be the only other big time contenders as of now. There will of course be a Chinese in contention but it seems up in the air right now as to who that will be.

I know this is very superficial, and perhaps sexist, of me but I think Bross would make a much better impression with some makeup and a haircut.

chipso1
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Brian, ITA about Bross' hair. It looks so limp and...dirty?...in a way. It's hard to explain. :shuffle: And although it shouldn't, I wonder if her "lack of tiff" might hurt her scores in the future...:glamor:

oleada
06-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I was talking about Worlds this year. :o
But yeah, ITA re: Bross & 2010 and her lack of tiffedness.

Rob
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
It is partially untiff and partially that she just looks miserable when she's competing. Then she's done and we see a big smile and she looks much better. Maybe it is just her focused face, but she looks unhappy. Gina Gogean had that look too. And Kerri Strug - miserable and scared too.

Anyway Bross is not my preferred style of gymnast. I can't wait to see the Russians develop.

oleada
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Isn't Bross's dad supposed to be, uh, rather intense and scary? :shuffle: At least, I thought I had read that.

LKR
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Isn't Bross's dad supposed to be, uh, rather intense and scary? :shuffle: At least, I thought I had read that.

That's what I have read as well.

Fridge_Break
06-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Well, I just (finally) watched the American Cup and the Pacific Rim championships and was fully expecting to interrupt some sophisticated gymnastics discussion by rambling about Rebecca Bross, but I'm seemingly going to fit in here..

I have to agree with what has been said above. I really don't like the fact that (or even understand as to why) she is being groomed by USA gymnastics as the 'next' Mary Lou (or Carly/Nastia). Her gymnastics is quite dull, she has one speed only, and her form, especially in the twisting department, is nowhere near where it should be. The ONLY reason she scores so well is because she can do hard stuff and do it consistently. Her B-scores are below what a lot of others have put up in these 2 competitions. Which also brings me to the point of how much I absolutely HATE the 'new' code of points (it's still new to me..), no matter how many people say that it's soooo much better than the traditional 10... no it's not. Form barely matters anymore if you can throw enough hard tricks and not fall off the apparatus. Look at these beam routines -- some of the girls are flipping themselves around upwards of 8-9-10 times in a single routine. There's tons of small balance checks, yet they still will out-score someone who does 3 or 4 acro skills perfectly, just because they do more of them. And don't even get me started on difficulty and execution being added together, which is a whole other issue that just steams my broccoli.

Okay, wasn't expecting the CoP tangent, oops. Anyways, I much, much prefer the likes of Jordyn Wieber (Lansing native! :cheer2: ) and Alexandra Raisman. They both have fabulous qualities that I hope can carry both to London.

And regarding to the international gymnasts at the American Cup: Jessica Lopez is awesome. Enough said.

LKR
06-09-2010, 05:26 AM
I doubt NBC/USAG/et al is going to revere Bross after this year though. Barring injuries or anything unforeseen, Weiber should overtake Bross in 2011, as should Kyla Ross in 2012 (though I would expect Weiber to remain as the top U.S. gymnast if healthy). Bross's inconsistency denied her two major titles she was destined to win (2009 Nationals and 2009 Worlds). While Sloan needed mistakes from Bross in order to make either of those titles a reality, if Sloan's Amanar surfaces she may be able to beat Bross on her own terms.

vesperholly
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Just looked up some Jordyn Wieber videos ... boy, does she remind me of a young Carly Patterson. They look identical on beam.

I don't know that we've seen enough of Kyla Ross to make a definite prediction. She's certainly talented, but very young. I quite like the looks of Alexandra Raisman as well.

On a completely superficial note, I think that Bross's hairstyle just doesn't work with her face. She's got a large forehead, and plastering her hair to her head like that makes her look harsh. She needs either a side part and a low ponytail, or those puffed, pinned-up bangs that all the girls had in Beijing. Bross does accent her look with a rather accomplished bitchface, though.