PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

chipso1
05-23-2010, 03:26 AM
I really liked Kyla Ross! If she can get her difficulty up a bit, she will definitely find herself on some U.S. teams the next few years.

Jordyn Wieber also looked much improved, both in form and artistry. I'm amazed at how solid her skills were after being off for 8 months! :eek:

bek
05-23-2010, 04:20 AM
I love how they are all "huge margin of victory! blahblah" but it's not like China sent their A team.

Anyway, Marta needs to invest in dance classes for all these girls.

Is it just me or did the scores seem a bit inflated compared to Europeans?

:LOL: Honestly I'm not sure about the Chinese. A lot of their younger gymnasts are headcases, and they are reliant on their 2008 team heavily. Yilin is the wildcard, because I think they rushed her too soon last year. If she can get healthy and in good shape, that will be huge for China. But who knows. Chinese nationals will tell that story.

I think the US will win this year. But I think next year Russia will give them a run for their money. While both teams have excellent juniors coming up, I think that Russia's juniors are going to provide them a bigger boast for their score next year. Only because I think the Russian team is heavily reliant on Mustafina this year, and Komova and the girl who placed 3rd in the prelims at European Juniors is going to be a huge addition. Wieber will be huge for the US with her Amanar and beam too. But on floor the US is already fairly strong, and on bars, she won't be that big of an addition.

The Russian girls are going to continue to upgrade their bars as well, the writing is on that wall. Komova's signature skill will reportedly be an F instead of an E if she competes it as a Senior.

millyskate
05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I doubt Great Britain is at risk, as the top 24 teams from Rotterdam advance to next year's World Championships.

But isn't it this year's competition that counts for olympic qualification?
I know all the Brit athletes are abstaining from the Commenwealth Games that clash with worlds because of the olympic qualification problem.

oleada
05-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I think the US will win this year. But I think next year Russia will give them a run for their money. While both teams have excellent juniors coming up, I think that Russia's juniors are going to provide them a bigger boast for their score next year. Only because I think the Russian team is heavily reliant on Mustafina this year, and Komova and the girl who placed 3rd in the prelims at European Juniors is going to be a huge addition. Wieber will be huge for the US with her Amanar and beam too. But on floor the US is already fairly strong, and on bars, she won't be that big of an addition.

I agree with this. I hope Russia can be very competitive with the US in the next few years, particularly once Grishina & Komova age up. Their gymnasts are awesome and have the style I love. I hope Grishina & Komova can stay as consistent as they are and keep adding to their skills. Grishina absolutely destroyed the competition at Jesolo a while back, posting 59+, which was 3 pts higher than Kayla Ross and all the seniors, including Bross & Semenova. I hope they can keep it that way and go 1-2 a the Olympics :swoon:

I also agree with you that Pazeka could be a nice addition on vault.

Weiber :scream: She has improved, though.

LKR
05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
But isn't it this year's competition that counts for olympic qualification?
I know all the Brit athletes are abstaining from the Commenwealth Games that clash with worlds because of the olympic qualification problem.

The top 24 teams from 2010 worlds advance on to 2011 worlds, and the top 8 teams from 2011 qualify full teams for the Games. The teams that are ranked 9-16 at 2011 worlds compete at the Olympic Test Event in January 2012, and the top four teams from that competition will also qualify a full team to the Games.

bek
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with this. I hope Russia can be very competitive with the US in the next few years, particularly once Grishina & Komova age up. Their gymnasts are awesome and have the style I love. I hope Grishina & Komova can stay as consistent as they are and keep adding to their skills. Grishina absolutely destroyed the competition at Jesolo a while back, posting 59+, which was 3 pts higher than Kayla Ross and all the seniors, including Bross & Semenova. I hope they can keep it that way and go 1-2 a the Olympics :swoon:

I also agree with you that Pazeka could be a nice addition on vault.

You never know the Russians could pull a China 2006 and win worlds. I actually think they should consider putting Pavalova on the team for vault and maybe even beam. (although she's kind of a headcase.)

chipso1
05-23-2010, 06:15 PM

What's so cringeworthy about Wieber? Her dance and maturity on FX is hugely improved over when she won the American Cup in '09, and her flexibility looks much better, too (particularly noticeable on bars and beam).

For being 14-years old, I think she's right on track.

vesperholly
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Picture
Zamo looks :glamor:; Slater, not so much.

That's not a link :(

oleada
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
That's not a link :(

Whoops: http://i45.tinypic.com/20rkxn4.jpg

BigB08822
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Russia could certainly pull off 2012. They have so much potential and in a 3 up 3 count format, they don't need a lot of depth to win. I hope they are in the mix, it would be nice to have a 3 way race for the team gold.

FSfan107
05-23-2010, 09:11 PM
What's so cringeworthy about Wieber? Her dance and maturity on FX is hugely improved over when she won the American Cup in '09, and her flexibility looks much better, too (particularly noticeable on bars and beam).

For being 14-years old, I think she's right on track.

I agree about Wieber. At the American Cup in 2009, I really didn't enjoy her that much except for her Amanar vault. She wowed me yesterday with her routines and with the improvements to her form, dance, and flexibility. She still needs to improve her flexibility some more for her leaps and improve her toe point, but she is on the right track as you said. She was definitely the most impressive gymnast to me at this competition. Wieber has the "it" factor that Bross lacks, IMO.

vesperholly
05-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Whoops: http://i45.tinypic.com/20rkxn4.jpg

Zamo does look :smokin:. Slater looks fine for a "normal" person. :)

Rob
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Bross' bowed legs really really irritate me on bars, although I know she can't help it.

I know, I hate her sickled feet on bars. Re Jordan, I am generally not a fan of the compact gymnast who lacks line, but it looks like she is on track to be right behind Bross by 2012. I am not a huge fan of Bridget's either.

I liked Kyla Ross a lot and Sabrina Vega too.

Very hopeful for a Russian comeback with style and line in 2012.

oleada
05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I know, I hate her sickled feet on bars. Re Jordan, I am generally not a fan of the compact gymnast who lacks line, but it looks like she is on track to be right behind Bross by 2012. I am not a huge fan of Bridget's either.

I liked Kyla Ross a lot and Sabrina Vega too.

We have the exact same taste. I prefer Bridget out of the current Americans, but she doesn't inspire any strong feelings, really.

OlieRow
05-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I wasn't really a fan of Weiber before and she's still not my favorite gymnast, but I can't help but be impressed with her improvements. She (and her coaches) could easily sit back and rely on her high D-scores and try to improve them even more vs. work on form/flexibility/dance which are much harder to correct and will likely impact her total score less.