PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
"We're the coaches," Spencer said. "We're the ones that decide how her training goes, where she goes and how she presents the name of the gym and the coaches. She didn't show up."

I agree, this quote was really off putting but it doesn't explain everything. It doesn't explain why no gym in the state will take her. It doesn't explain why they dropped her as a student because of this one issue. I still think there has to be more but as usual, I am sure BOTH sides have a part in this and the coaches may have been too controlling. On the other hand, maybe being a world champion went straight to her head? She went from being a level 10 to World champion in a few months. That is over night success in the gymnastics World!

oleada
05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah I thought it would be closer considering the big hop and windmill arms to control her first tumble run. But she nailed her double pike arabian and has been an absolute rock all week. 6 for 6, not bad for a gymnast who's just turned 25!!! :respec: :cheer:

I can appreciate Beth and think it's fair that she won, but her floor routines don't really excite me. However, I love the Myzdrikova's musicality and originality. It's just a beautiful routine. But it's just the style of gymnastics I prefer. ;)

Actually, I think the Russian team as a whole has far and away the best floor routines.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Actually, I think the Russian team as a whole has far and away the best floor routines.

That's because Russia actually gives a damn about dance and artistry. Even China doesn't try anymore.

oleada
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
That's because Russia actually gives a damn about dance and artistry. Even China doesn't try anymore.

Agreed.

millyskate
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I thought Beth was overscored on floor, but I'm a massive fan and she totally rocks :respec: She's had to ear the judges respect the long and hard way, and it's paying off now. Her bars were amazing!

I think GB actually benefited from having Jocelyn hunt on the team. She's really nice and clean although she has little difficulty, and Jenni Pinches or Danusia Frances would have been more likely to make mistakes IMO.

elka_sk8
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
So sad to hear that Ana Porgras is injured again- honestly, after watching her BB routine in the TF, I'm :eek: her coaches let her compete at all. The routine was great, but she could barely walk and was in tears after the dismount. I hope competing at Euros didn't cause further damage. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyNgsyIfaU

Karpenko
05-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Russia's new crop coming up makes you pay attention to the way they do their gymnastics as opposed to what is being done. There is a completeness and precision about all of the routines they do, and they are bringing the sport back to where it needs to go. I love the style they all have on top of it all.

I really hope they win a World or Olympic team title soon, there are too many great ones coming up for them not to have some huge success.

I love Mustafina's UB dismount!

oleada
05-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Russia's new crop coming up makes you pay attention to the way they do their gymnastics as opposed to what is being done. There is a completeness and precision about all of the routines they do, and they are bringing the sport back to where it needs to go. I love the style they all have on top of it all.

I really hope they win a World or Olympic team title soon, there are too many great ones coming up for them not to have some huge success.

I love Mustafina's UB dismount!

Agreed. They have the skills and they are done so well. They're got tremendous style. I hope they can stay this good. It's almost Soviet-esque. I'm excited about this quad.

Mustafina's UB dismount - has anyone done it before? I love it too.

Maria Pazeka was 3rd in the AA qualification for the juniors, and she's eligible next year. She won the silver in vault and also good on the FX. She could help Russia out in vault which isn't their strongest rotation.

Karpenko
05-03-2010, 02:11 AM
I don't believe so, most people are calling it the Mustafina dismount, but she still has to submit it at Worlds this year first.

I agree there is a soviet-esque feel to them now. Before they always had the style, but the focus for them as a whole was getting routines down that could score well and stay consistent on them. The entire group as a whole now has the skills and consistency (so far), so its the little things like finesse, style, and precision that you look for to seperate them. That's a problem they haven't had for a pretty long time!

Vault is getting there, both Nabieva and Komova have 2 1/2 yurchenko's now (still need a lot of work, esp Nabieva). You can see Russia building its difficulty on every event aimed towards 2012.

I also love Bridgets new UB routine from Pacific Rim. It could go 15 if she hits, so combined with Bross's potential 15+ score and maybe a last-year Memmel routine, the US could have a decent UB lineup at Worlds this year.

bek
05-03-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm excited for the Russians. I don't think they are Soviet yet like in terms of cleanliness in technique, because I think that there's only much Alexandrov and company can do about ingrained habits with his Seniors. But having the Juniors work with people like Ostanpenko when they are young is just so great for the Russian program.

As much as we are talking about how great they are now I have a feeling we will be saying more things four or five years from now.

I just love that this program cares about things like artistry and dance. And they are the only ones who do. For that a long I hope they come back to the top, because soon it will force others to do go back to these things to beat them.

BigB08822
05-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Can I just repeat that I hate HATE hate that athletes are allowed to do leaps out of their tumbling passes in order to avoid deductions on the landing. It is such a cop out, try to stick the landing the old fashioned way!

The Russians are quickly becoming my favorites. It is amazing to think that Russia has never won a Olympic team title. The last one was their Unified Team title and since then it has been the U.S., Romania and China (although they cheated but Russia wasn't next in line anyway).

Lucy25
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Has there been any response from the Chinese about their bronze medal being taken away? I have not seen anything, but maybe I've missed it? Are they still denying they lied about the age issue? Or did they admit to it.

bek
05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Can I just repeat that I hate HATE hate that athletes are allowed to do leaps out of their tumbling passes in order to avoid deductions on the landing. It is such a cop out, try to stick the landing the old fashioned way!

The Russians are quickly becoming my favorites. It is amazing to think that Russia has never won a Olympic team title. The last one was their Unified Team title and since then it has been the U.S., Romania and China (although they cheated but Russia wasn't next in line anyway).

I don't think its that amazing to think. When the Soviet Union broke up a lot of their coaches like Alexandrov left. Plus a lot of people struggled for food/survive and so putting your kid in skating/gymnastics wasn't likely. All of these things hurt gymnastics in Russia. When they were still good Arakaev mismanaged things, which is why he's so disliked amongst the Russian gymnastics community.

For example politics were always played in the Soviet system. But back then everything was debatable anyways because they were so much deeper than everyone else. But Arkaaev actually went in someways farther than the Soviets did. For example, the whole Soviet system, when gymnasts moved to the national coach, they moved with their personal coach. The personal coach would smother the girl with attention/take care of them etc.

During the Soviet Union's hey day, girls were never taken from their personal coaches. But Arakaev did a lot of seperating and choosing to coach girls himself, so that he could make more $$$. Girls began breaking etc, not getting the personal attention they'd get with their personal coach.

It wasn't just that but things like Arkaev being a dictator. He was in many ways ran out of Russia.

A part of me wonders too, if the Soviet system was sooo deep that maybe the coaches didn't know how to handle as well a situation where they were less deep. I.e a gymnast gets injured in the USSR, you have 10 others to replace her with. A gymnast shows trouble with consistency 10 possible replacements. Its a different game I think when you have less talent to draw upon.

mkats
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree, this quote was really off putting but it doesn't explain everything. It doesn't explain why no gym in the state will take her. It doesn't explain why they dropped her as a student because of this one issue. I still think there has to be more but as usual, I am sure BOTH sides have a part in this and the coaches may have been too controlling. On the other hand, maybe being a world champion went straight to her head? She went from being a level 10 to World champion in a few months. That is over night success in the gymnastics World!

Just quoting you because you're the last one to post on this subject and the only one on this page :lol: The rumor is that her father is quite a handful to deal with, and Kelli Hill's + Sharps (and somewhere else - I forget) have both turned her down for that reason.

I would definitely agree with this if they were still allowed to do lunges out of their tumbling passes, though I prefer to see sticks too. Now that it's stick-it or deduction for a lunge, I don't blame them for trying to do a leap out of it.

Rob
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
ITA with everyone re the Russians. Here is hoping that other programs will eventually have to follow suit in artistry and dance.