PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

lukeanthony
04-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Gina could perfom much more difficult elements. She was just composing her routines in tune with the COP at the time. For example, in the past she had done a back pike with full twist and also dismounted beam with a full in. She would never have turned up with a low SV.

altai_rose
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Could someone please explain to me why China's 2000 medals were stripped due to underage cheating while the numerous, well-documented Romanian and Soviet underage gymnasts who competed in the 1980s and 1990s are not being investigated?

Loves_Shizuka
04-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Sigh. The 1997 beam final makes me cry almost as much as the whole Sydney Games. I agree with whoever said the 2000 Games were a real low-point for gymnastics. The only bright thing to come out of it was Liu Xuan's beam gold. I NEVER watch anything else from those games, apart from Yang Yun's routines (btw, didn't she admit she was underage too - there was no mention of her in the article) I just have a vivid memory of watching the Chinese on vault in the final rotation of the 2000 team competition, and Kui Yuanyuan praying they'd get a medal, and looking SO HAPPY when they did. She had injured herself, on vault, in prelims, and couldn't compete. It must be heartbreaking for them to hand the medal back (I presume that's how it works?)
It's really a sad situation all round.

DBZ
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I dont know if the U.S had anyone that was capable of medalling in the AA in Sydney even with the mess it became. Ray, Chow, and Maloney were all capable of making top 10 probably, and Ray maybe top 5 given all the other things that happened.

Really? I thought Amy had the most potential to medal at least on bars, and maybe (if she hit her routines well), beam or AA.

She had insane difficulty. Form wasn't the best, but not the worst either. With the new code and compulsories gone, you could see the initial stages of form decline start to creep into everyone's routines. Straight legs and pointed toes were so 1996. :lol:

I just remember being really disappointed for Amy, because I thought Sydney was her chance to finally shine as the all-around gymnast she truly was. She had no real weakness other than consistency.

When she hit, she was capable of medalling on any event. I was gutted when she didn't make bar finals.

Well, she now has a complete Olympic medal set: Gold (96 team), Silver (96 bars), and Bronze (00 team). :)

It must be weird getting a used medal out of the blue 10 years after a competition. Must feel like a lifetime ago for someone who's now a licensed pediatrician.

bek
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
The Russians had a disaster from one of their girls on bars, and a fall from Semy on beam. However, Mustafina was just a rock for them. They didn't have her do vault, even though people in training were saying her DTY was the best of the Russians, partly I'm sure to protect her somewhat. She got their highest scores on the other three events, and I believe so far of the competition (although Beth has yet to go up on bars/floor, and the Romanians too). Mustafina has a real shot at winning the World All Around title this year, admist all of the talk about Grishina and Komova.

judgejudy27
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Really? I thought Amy had the most potential to medal at least on bars, and maybe (if she hit her routines well), beam or AA.

She had insane difficulty. Form wasn't the best, but not the worst either. With the new code and compulsories gone, you could see the initial stages of form decline start to creep into everyone's routines. Straight legs and pointed toes were so 1996. :lol:

I just remember being really disappointed for Amy, because I thought Sydney was her chance to finally shine as the all-around gymnast she truly was. She had no real weakness other than consistency.

When she hit, she was capable of medalling on any event. I was gutted when she didn't make bar finals.

Well, she now has a complete Olympic medal set: Gold (96 team), Silver (96 bars), and Bronze (00 team). :)

It must be weird getting a used medal out of the blue 10 years after a competition. Must feel like a lifetime ago for someone who's now a licensed pediatrician.

Well I actually also sort of felt Amy was the best U.S chance for medals in Sydney too, along with Ray or maybe even over Ray. It is hard to say how she would have done if she hit though since she never did in Sydney it seemed. Even her prelims beam routine which was pretty good a bit hop on her triple full barely left her out of beam finals. It would have been nice to see her shine as an individual after coming into her own and regularly beating the likes of Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Dominique Moceanu, and Kim Zmeskal in the pro gymnastics events, but it never happened for her in Sydney.

VIETgrlTerifa
04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
One thing I loved about Amy Chow's gymnastics was that she was definitely a trickster. Even if her FX choreography could be laborious to watch at times, the skills she attempted were pretty exciting to watch. Generic she wasn't.

millyskate
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
I just can't see this as "happy" news. It's not like the FIG wasn't aware of this age issue when it happened, they just chose to ignore it for years. And now, in order to avoid scandal and demote the Bejing team, they attack the Sydney one. I feel bad for all the gymnasts involved, who had no say in the matter, and can't see this as a display of "honesty" from the FIG. More like a cop-out...
Hopefully, the only positive thing that will come out of this is that teams will be scared out of cheating more in the future.

In my ideal world, they'd just scrap age limits altogether, in all sports apart from violent ones.

Rob
04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I am really excited to see this new generation of Russians as the quad progresses.

millyskate
04-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I must have been a little pessimistic about Women's British Gymnastics.... because they're lying in 3rd at euros, behind Russia and Romania. I'm really surprised especially considering they have several injuries, but....
I'm not sure if it means all the other teams bombed or if they did really well. Sounds like Beth rocked, as usual :respec:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/gymnastics/8652848.stm

Buzz
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Romania is only about 1.5 points behind the Russians, so it is quite possible to have quite a fight for the gold. Shades of gymnastics glorious past. :lol:

vesperholly
04-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Could someone please explain to me why China's 2000 medals were stripped due to underage cheating while the numerous, well-documented Romanian and Soviet underage gymnasts who competed in the 1980s and 1990s are not being investigated?

Good point. It's been proven and freely admitted that Daniela Silivas was underage in 1983 when she won beam gold at Worlds, yet no one's taking away her medal.

Yes, it's wrong to break the rules, but I hate punishing a team of athletes like this. I'm sad most of all for Kui Yuanyuan and all the legitimate athletes. :(

VIETgrlTerifa
04-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Speaking of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team, check out this video somebody from another site linked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmsAv-DJtBY

It's a Today Show interview done by Ann Curry and look at the way she's talking Karyoli. When asked about their medal chances, she seems shocked that he said they could medal and Karyoli had to explain himself further and reiterate that gold was most likely out of reach. Must be nice to be on that team and hear that.

Oh, and the best part? She calls Kelli Hill a gentleman. LMAO.

oleada
04-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Mustafina has a real shot at winning the World All Around title this year, admist all of the talk about Grishina and Komova.

Aren't Grishina and Komova too young for Worlds anyway? Which is a shame, as they are both fantastic. The Russian team totally dominated the juniors.

But yes, Mustafina was an absolute rock. Loved her bars. Really impressive competition from her so far. I also like Nabieva.

BigB08822
04-30-2010, 02:27 AM
It just hit me that Tasha and Jamie get Olympic medals. I love them and that is awesome. I know, I am late, but I never stopped to think about who all was there besides Chow, Dawes, Maloney and Ray. Too bad for White. Beckerman was on the team, right? I know she was initially but can't remember if she suffered injury too or if it was just White.