PDA

View Full Version : 2011 US Nationals (Greensboro, NC) Information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

genevieve
11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I hope not. I've had this happen on a few occasions over the years where people tried to tell me I had to move from their seat during practices. But the practice passes always clearly state "General Admission" - a fact some people liked to ignore and chose instead to cop an attitude. The beauty of practices is being able to sit wherever you want.
Agreed. Anyone who saunters into practice and tries to eject someone who's sitting there during the open seating practice is a jerk.

DORISPULASKI
11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes?

How about if it is a handicapped seat that the general public is sitting in?

~tapdancer~
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Anyone know how much the parking is? I'm only going to be there on Fri-Sat-Sun and should I buy the parking offered by ticketmaster? It says it's "all event" and it's $55. Seems like a lot for three days of parking for me.

LadyNit
11-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Bleachers? Did someone say bleachers? :scream:

The bleachers at Spokane 2006 practice arena were a nightmare.

shan
11-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Seeing more billboards here in NC! I was excited to see it, but I'm not sure its eye catching enough. I hope they have good ticket sales here in the land of NASCAR....

TanithandBenFan
11-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Yes?

How about if it is a handicapped seat that the general public is sitting in?

Obviously, handicapped seating should always be reserved for those in need. I didn't think that needed to be stated.

HisWeirness
11-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Anyone know how much the parking is? I'm only going to be there on Fri-Sat-Sun and should I buy the parking offered by ticketmaster? It says it's "all event" and it's $55. Seems like a lot for three days of parking for me.
I'd suggest calling the organizing committee and asking. Generally around here (NC) they charge $10 for event parking at major arenas. So, in your case, the parking pass may not be the cost-effective option. Ask and see if they know.

skipaway
11-02-2010, 04:06 AM

Do you have tickets to each event on Fri/Sat/Sun? Do you plan to leave the Coliseum at all during the day? If so, I suspect you'll have to pay to park each time you leave and come back. 55.00 may not be such a bad deal if parking is 10.00 a pop.

peibeck
11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
For those of you that have not booked flights to Greensboro (GSO) or Raleigh-Durham (RDU) yet, there are some great airfare sales going on right now on the east coast for the Jan 23-31 period. ;)
American, Delta, US Airways, Southwest (RDU only), Jet Blue (RDU only), etc.

I was going to drive because I hate, hate, hate flying... but I checked on-line and got a round trip flight from St. Louis for $204. :biggrinbo The last time I checked, flights were almost twice that price. (Nan, are you reading this?!?!? ;) )

I suggest everyone check an aggregator site like www.kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com) and see if you can get a deal from your area.

Debbie S
11-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I hope not. I've had this happen on a few occasions over the years where people tried to tell me I had to move from their seat during practices. But the practice passes always clearly state "General Admission" - a fact some people liked to ignore and chose instead to cop an attitude. The beauty of practices is being able to sit wherever you want.Ugh, that happened to me at 2003 Worlds on a Sat aftn practice before the week started. It was crowded. b/c the LOC sold day passes for Sat/Sun practices to the general public. I found an empty seat a couple of seats in a row - took out my camera, binocs, notepad (to provide those early practice reports, lol), and no sooner had I done that when someone is standing next to me holding a tray of food, with a kid trailing behind her, telling me those are their seats. My first thought was that they had left the seats to go get the food (there weren't any jackets or other belongings around) and I was about to tell them finders keepers, but I didn't feel like starting a fight so I put my things back and got up. But then, I noticed them sharing food with some others in the seats next to where I sat....OK, so if those seats were all taken up by the same family/group, why didn't someone tell me before I took all my stuff out? Grrr.

A flip side to this was SA in 07, when my mom and I got there with about 10 minutes to go in the men's warm-up Sat aftn, before the first event. We only had single-day tix for Sat and Sun so I was expecting to not be allowed in - we were hoping to watch the rest of the warm-up from the top of the stairs. But when we got to our section, the usher asked to see our tickets, we showed them, and then she walked us down the stairs. Our seats were the 3rd and 4th seat in from the aisle, and no one was sitting in our seats, but there was a blanket thrown on the back of one - we (and the usher) assumed it belonged to the people sitting in the seats behind. Usher says that these are our seats (points) and this one woman in the row behind went ballistic about how practices are open seating and they can sit wherever they want - keep in mind that no one had to get up, they just had to move a freakin blanket. Evan was about to run through his program so my mom and I are like, OK, we'll just sit in the seats in the row below. Then the woman in what were the seats next to ours taps me on the shoulder and tells me that I have a right to sit in my seat. Whatever. So warm-up ends and we all get up, and then imagine my surprise when the blanket actually belongs to the people next to it....the woman who told me to stand my ground and sit in my seat anyway....uh, OK, so if you feel that strongly about my right to sit in my seat, why didn't you move your blanket? And why was the woman behind her going nuts when she and her belongings had nothing to do with it? It takes all kinds.....

DORISPULASKI
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Obviously, handicapped seating should always be reserved for those in need. I didn't think that needed to be stated.

You'd think so, but it isn't how it works always. People are nuts (see the previous post).

We have bought handicapped seats a number of times. My husband at his best is on a cane, at his worst in a motorized wheel chair. At any time we leave the seats vacant, the general public sits in the seats because they are convenient to the aisle and the mezzanine, if you don't have an aggressive usher keeping them out. This is during the actual event.

To give the public their due, the seats are sometimes not explicitly labelled as handicapped. Maybe they think those fold up chairs are for the ushers? When Mr. Ski is in a motorized wheelchair, his seat at least is secure. It's mine that has some snotnose sitting in it when I come back from the concession stand with a tray. Evicting them is never pleasant. When it's an entire group that has moved in, like Michael Weiss's family, whom I've seen do this twice (Nationals in Nashville, TN most egregiously). The handicapped people and/or their husbands or wives generally just try to survive until Michael had finished skating, and the family moved on again.

In an open practice, the only defense of such seats is that they are not right next to the ice, and are not the preferred seats if you don't have to use them. However, people take them as casual seating on the way to the concessions quite frequently. It's one reason we don't go to open practices deliberately. However we do arrive early for the event, which may be preceded by an open practice, because there are apt to be difficulties setting up-and sometimes there are people in our seats. Sometimes, as described above, it gets nasty.

Carolla5501
11-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Those of you who sit in the handicapped seats... or cop an attitude when asked to move.....

I firmly believe in KARMA! Your boorish behavior will result in you someday NEEDING that seat and it not being avaliable. Then you will understand what a true jerk you are :)

sk9tingfan
11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Those of you who sit in the handicapped seats... or cop an attitude when asked to move.....

I firmly believe in KARMA! Your boorish behavior will result in you someday NEEDING that seat and it not being avaliable. Then you will understand what a true jerk you are :)

I agree with you. Those who sit in handicapped seats during events is the equivalent of those motorists who park in handicapped spots in parking lots. :mad:

Nan
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I was going to drive because I hate, hate, hate flying... but I checked on-line and got a round trip flight from St. Louis for $204. :biggrinbo The last time I checked, flights were almost twice that price. (Nan, are you reading this?!?!? ;) )

Yes, I am! I was going to drive with a stopover in Nashville to overnight with my daughter and to have the convenience of a car while I was there, but now that there is a shuttle at the event, maybe I will fly. I'll have to see if the "add-on" charges (airport parking, airport shuttle and baggage fees) still make it a bargin for me. I live a bit further from STL than you do, you know. ;)

When are you flying in?

Carolla5501
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
I just got a $98 (plus taxes) fare from Atlanta to Raleigh. The big kicker is the rental car cost. I can cancel until tomorrow and that may be the decision maker. (I can get a room at the Sheraton for not much more then the offical rate so.... if I fly to GSO and take shuttles would it actually be cheaper??? Would I regret not having a car in that town which is not pedestrian friendly??? decisions decisions)