missflick
10-30-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=18311.html

Really
10-30-2009, 05:04 PM
*waiting for the spin doctors and konspiracy :sekret: theorists to emerge*

igniculus
10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Earlier this month, figure skater Patrick Chan, a world silver-medal winner and one of Canada's top hopes for an Olympic gold at Vancouver in 2010, went to Dr. Galea for treatment of a tear in his left calf muscle. It was the day before the office was raided. There is no evidence to connect the raid with any of the client treatments.

Hmmm...

barbk
10-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Hmmm...

No indication at all that the doctor was using banned (by the IOC) drugs on anyone. The plasma concentration and injection into damaged muscles and tendons is a new technique that is showing some significant results in terms of faster and more complete healing in some hard-to-heal areas. This isn't anything like blood doping.

The good doc may or may not have violated Canadian laws in terms of obtaining and using homeopathic medications not sold in Canada, but at the moment it strikes me as being about as significant as when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.

marbri
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
No indication at all that the doctor was using banned (by the IOC) drugs on anyone. The plasma concentration and injection into damaged muscles and tendons is a new technique that is showing some significant results in terms of faster and more complete healing in some hard-to-heal areas. This isn't anything like blood doping.

The good doc may or may not have violated Canadian laws in terms of obtaining and using homeopathic medications not sold in Canada, but at the moment it strikes me as being about as significant as when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.

What were they doing?

barney
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Yup. I've had it (in the US, from a well-respective physician). It's not illegal or even frowned upon, really; it's just a new form of treatment.

screech
10-31-2009, 02:08 AM
And they went through the proper channels to get the treatment approved before it was done to Patrick, so all is good there.

snapple
10-31-2009, 04:30 AM
... when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.

The whole department probably just got a craving for it all at once. :slinkaway :D

MacMadame
10-31-2009, 04:53 AM
I want some of that for my left calf muscle tear!

angietang
10-31-2009, 06:07 AM
What were they doing?

They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different:(.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants:lol:.

Sylvia
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Front page story in the New York Times today: Sports Medicine Pioneer Subject of Doping Inquiry (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/sports/15doctor.html?_r=1&ref=sports)

PDilemma
12-15-2009, 05:39 PM
They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different:(.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants:lol:.

I worked at a Chinese place in a mall long ago and it was constantly written up by the health department for keeping the temperature on the warming pan that contained the fried rice too low. If we turned it up as high as they wanted it, the rice would get all nasty and crunchy. The inspector did not care and would rant that the rules are never flexible. So I always take it with a grain of salt when I see that an Asian restaurant has been written up for not keeping food at proper temps. It's probably because they don't want to serve crunchy rice!

Rex
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
*waiting for the spin doctors and konspiracy :sekret: theorists to emerge*

Hmmmmmmmmm, was he responsible for Kwan not getting gold? :sekret:

I think he WAS....

orbitz
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
So I always take it with a grain of salt when I see that an Asian restaurant has been written up for not keeping food at proper temps. It's probably because they don't want to serve crunchy rice!

Would you rather have hot, crunchy rice that's relatively germ free or something that's luke warm and taste great but is teaming with bacteria? I'll take my bowl of crunchy rice, please :P.

Anita18
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Would you rather have hot, crunchy rice that's relatively germ free or something that's luke warm and taste great but is teaming with bacteria? I'll take my bowl of crunchy rice, please :P.
You build up an immunity to it. :)

But yeah, you gotta work up to it first!