PDA

View Full Version : Sports Doctor to the Stars faces Drug Charges

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Garden Kitty
12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Had to chuckle. I just went to the Yahoo News site, and they had this pic (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/cpress/20091215/capt.s121531a.jpg?x=300&y=204&q=85&sig=RG5Nu0yVAdAgjfwQuHPypA--) labelled "Tiger Woods"

Zemgirl
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Had to chuckle. I just went to the Yahoo News site, and they had this pic (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/cpress/20091215/capt.s121531a.jpg?x=300&y=204&q=85&sig=RG5Nu0yVAdAgjfwQuHPypA--) labelled "Tiger Woods"
:lol: They've fixed it already - but I saved the screen shot!

barbk
12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yup. I've had it (in the US, from a well-respective physician). It's not illegal or even frowned upon, really; it's just a new form of treatment.

Yes, I've also had it suggested for my recalcitrant achilles tendon.

barbk
12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different:(.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants:lol:.

The problem with Peking duck is that the duck is hung in the air for a while -- I don't recall if it is before or after cooking -- but this is a major no-no for the health department. I'm with the group that thinks that if the Chinese have been making it that way for a thousand years then it clearly isn't doing much to depopulate China and thus we shouldn't worry about it. (Then again, I've never understood why they are so maniacal about some things being refrigerated, but it is perfectly okay to make a pumpkin pie with loads of eggs, cream and sugar and let it sit around at room temperature for days.)

Anita18
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
The problem with Peking duck is that the duck is hung in the air for a while -- I don't recall if it is before or after cooking -- but this is a major no-no for the health department. I'm with the group that thinks that if the Chinese have been making it that way for a thousand years then it clearly isn't doing much to depopulate China and thus we shouldn't worry about it. (Then again, I've never understood why they are so maniacal about some things being refrigerated, but it is perfectly okay to make a pumpkin pie with loads of eggs, cream and sugar and let it sit around at room temperature for days.)
I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge. :lol:

I think that's a no-no in terms of bacterial growth....

mkats
12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
LOL Anita my mom says that too.

She also swears that eating persimmons and sweet potatoes on the same day will kill you. Since I've seen a gazillion recipes for them together I'm pretty sure this isn't true and offered to test it, but she wouldn't let me...

manhn
12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Crunchy rice is nasty. Give me the bacteria.

Every year, the local newspaper lists all the restaurants that have been shut down for some infraction. 95 percent of those restaurants are Asian. I am suspicious of asian restaurants that have never received a citation.

jlai
12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge. :lol:

hahaha, I heard that one too.

ETA: Speaking of fridges, when I was a kid my homeEc teacher told me many things are fine unrefrigerated. But by the time I became an adult everyone around me told me they needed to refrigerate everything (including their jewellery) :D or they will go bad... (I always suspect it's the fridge marketers who trick us into buying bigger fridges.)

Rottie
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM

Amen! The people who work at my local Asian restaurants all eat the food on their breaks. They look fine. I've practically lived on Asian take-out for years -- no problems. There are times to be super careful about food preparation, and there's times to chillax.

Every year, the local newspaper lists all the restaurants that have been shut down for some infraction. 95 percent of those restaurants are Asian. I am suspicious of asian restaurants that have never received a citation.

LOL! Like either the food is awful or they're bribing the inspectors? :cold:

MacMadame
12-16-2009, 01:17 AM

Me too. Bacteria is everywhere already, especially in food.

Bogie
12-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Now this is what I call "thread drift"!! :cheer2:

sk8gr8h8
12-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Now this is what I call "thread drift"!! :cheer2:

Peking duck from a doctor's drug charges.. I'll never know :lol:

but it's just so interesting to know all about it!

kwanfan1818
06-06-2010, 08:44 AM
There's an article about Galea in today's Washington Post that states

PRP is allowed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) under certain conditions, though an athlete needs to obtain a "therapeutic use exemption" before utilizing it. Galea requested one on Chan's behalf last October, and got it. Chan, who had an injured calf, finished fifth in the men's singles event at the Vancouver Winter Games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/05/AR2010060503050_2.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2010060504128

tangerine_dream
06-07-2010, 06:02 AM

My mom has always told me the same thing and we are not Chinese. I don't think it's a regional thing so much as a lack of common sense thing. :P

jlai
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't think this is completely fiction. I suspect there was rhyme and reason to this when people first had fridges and as time went on things changed.

Do not put large amounts of warm food in the refrigerator as this will raise the temperature; cool the food for a short time at room temperature (remember that any cooked leftovers should be put into the refrigerator within two hours after being served).
http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/food-storage-refrigerator/