PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sk8pics
11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Weightwatchers has a fabulous potato cheese soup on their website. Basically, cook some onions, add carrots, paprika and pepper (and salt if you use it, I skipped it), then add vegetable broth, fat free half & half, and cubed red potatoes. Cook about 20 minutes util the potatoes are tender. Add low fat cheddar cheese and mix to melt. Then puree. Wow, it was amazing! Tasted so rich and it was only 3 points (about 150 calories) for a heaping cup.

Cupid
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Weightwatchers has a fabulous potato cheese soup on their website. Basically, cook some onions, add carrots, paprika and pepper (and salt if you use it, I skipped it), then add vegetable broth, fat free half & half, and cubed red potatoes. Cook about 20 minutes util the potatoes are tender. Add low fat cheddar cheese and mix to melt. Then puree. Wow, it was amazing! Tasted so rich and it was only 3 points (about 150 calories) for a heaping cup.

Mmm...that sounds so good! But knowing me, I would eat the entire pot if it's that low in calories.

Can regular potatoes be subbed for the redkins, and are they peeled before cooked?

BigB08822
11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
That soup recipe would be amazing if you render some bacon fat and cook the onions in it. I guess that would defeat the "weight watchers" part but YUM!

sk8pics
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Mmm...that sounds so good! But knowing me, I would eat the entire pot if it's that low in calories.

Can regular potatoes be subbed for the redkins, and are they peeled before cooked?

Yes, I am having the same problem! I have to measure the portion out, otherwise I would eat WAY too much, LOL. I suppose you could use any sort of potatoes and no, I did not peel them. Just scrubbed them and then cut them up. The red skin gives the soup some nice accent colors. (LOL, don't know how else to put it.) The other thing I think is important is the cheddar cheese, which gives the soup a nice bite.

That soup recipe would be amazing if you render some bacon fat and cook the onions in it. I guess that would defeat the "weight watchers" part but YUM!
Well, I was actually considering adding some turkey bacon to it, that I cooked separately and then crumbled on top. I think that would be good and still pretty good for you!

nubka
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
4 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate chips, nuts, etc. if preferred

Preheat oven to 350F. Mash bananas in a bowl. Add everything else and mix. Bake in a bread pan for about 45 to 60 minutes.

Wow! I used this recipe last night, and it's best banana bread I have ever made - yum!! Nice and sweet, very moist. I added a cup of chopped walnuts to the batter and a tsp. of vanilla. :) :)

This recipe is definately a keeper - thanks!

skaternum
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I have some sweet Italian sausage links from a local pork producer. Any ideas as to what I should do with them? I want something a little more interesting than pan-frying them and serving them with pasta & a veggie on the side. Any thoughts?

BrokenAnkle
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I have some sweet Italian sausage links from a local pork producer. Any ideas as to what I should do with them? I want something a little more interesting than pan-frying them and serving them with pasta & a veggie on the side. Any thoughts?

You could cook them with onions and red and green peppers and serve on a sandwich roll. Maybe with some cheese melted over the top.

Ania
11-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone! I'm an avid lurker on this thread - one of my goals in life is to become a better cook. Alas, I like reading [this thread, for instance] and eating better than cooking...

Anyway, I have a bit of a culinary dilemma at the moment and hope that you might be able to help. I'm going to a dinner party on Saturday and offered to bring something. The host graciously said that I don't have to bring anything, but she is making an Indonesian dinner and it would be nice if I could bring "some pre-dinner munchies to match this". The problem is that I don't know what kind of munchies would match an Indonesian dinner. Googling for it did not help.
Do you have any suggestions? My preferred course of action would be to get something at Whole Foods (I just don't know what to get!) but I probably could venture into cooking something simple. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jenny
11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is satay - it's possible the hostess is including them in dinner, but you could make small individual skewers of chicken and/or shrimp, marinate them in South Asian herbs and spices, cook at home and then serve them cold with a sauce or two (peanut sauce or Vietnamese/Thai style chili sauce would work).

The other thing to know about Indonesian cooking is that there's a Dutch influence, particularly in Bali. So, you could do a plate of Dutch cheeses served with Asian-style sesame crackers for something really simple, or do a little research and come up with a Dutch appetizer, but sub in some typically Indonesian flavours (which are similar to other South Asian flavours so it shouldn't be too hard).

mkats
11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Jenny, you always amaze me with your knowledge of international cuisine :cheer:

Habs
11-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Jenny, you always amaze me with your knowledge of international cuisine :cheer:

I'm secretly hoping that someday I'll be invited to Jenny's for supper! :lol:

bobalina77
11-05-2009, 01:59 AM
I looooove Chicken Satay with peanut sauce.. yummmm!

Ania
11-05-2009, 02:14 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is satay - it's possible the hostess is including them in dinner, but you could make small individual skewers of chicken and/or shrimp, marinate them in South Asian herbs and spices, cook at home and then serve them cold with a sauce or two (peanut sauce or Vietnamese/Thai style chili sauce would work).

The other thing to know about Indonesian cooking is that there's a Dutch influence, particularly in Bali. So, you could do a plate of Dutch cheeses served with Asian-style sesame crackers for something really simple, or do a little research and come up with a Dutch appetizer, but sub in some typically Indonesian flavours (which are similar to other South Asian flavours so it shouldn't be too hard).

Jenny, thanks for the ideas! Asian crackers with cheese sound doable; satay chicken I can manage only by ordering take-out from the restaurant around the corner :-)

LordCirque
11-05-2009, 02:45 AM
It's not an authentic Asian Peanut Sauce by any means, Asian Cuisine is a few more Quarters off, but I've been improvising using some Chicken or Beef Stock, a scoop of Peanut Butter, few drops of Soy Sauce, and White Wine, maybe a little ginger, and the whisking the feck out of it to create the emulsion of the stock and peanut butter.

It's great over chicken, fish, egg rolls, pot stickers etc......

altai_rose
11-05-2009, 03:31 AM
nubka, glad you liked the banana bread!

I've always wanted to try this Indonesian dessert...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spekkoek (always, as in, ever since a few weeks ago when my friend promised to make it for me for a dinner party... but ran out of time and made brownies instead :) )