PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

Jenny
11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I always stick a huge tupperware in the freezer and throw in all the bones, tendons, etc. from whatever chicken dishes I end up making across the month or so. No way in hell do I have the money to waste fresh chicken on stock. Another tupperware holds all the carrot and onion and beet peels from other dishes I made that month. (I wash all my root vegetables really well!) A third holds apple and pear cores with the seeds removed (it's just me, so I don't mind if there are teeth marks :shuffle:) Come the end of the month, I soften all the peels with some garlic and herbs in some olive oil, throw in all the bones, add water to cover, and let it simmer for about an hour and a half to two hours. Once it starts to boil, I throw in the fruit cores for sweetness and don't bother with any extra sugar.

Once done, I pour it into smaller containers and immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool, then freeze for up to two months. It never lasts that long though before getting made into rice, soups, gravy, and the like!

This is brilliant!

JAF
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't a chicken stock be quite expensive to make, though? Since you need an entire chicken? The chicken pretty much goes to waste, right? I have always felt it was a waste and not worth the money to make my own stock but if I am wrong please enlighten me, I may try it.
I use chicken backs - with kitchen shears cut up both sides of back bones save in freezer until you have enough. Also, buy a packet or two of chicken wings if on sale.

I roast my raw veggies in oven at 425 until a little more than golden brown, keep onion peel on onions and you will have a beautiful color stock instead of a pale colored stock.

Since you are concerned with salt do not salt until your stock is reduced to you liking then salt.

I think it is cheaper to make stock then buying stock, plus you have a much better product.

Jenny
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
In most cases, the issue with salt is not what we add ourselves during cooking or at the table - it's what's added to processed foods like chicken stock, canned soup and soup mixes. Even the ones that are "low sodium" or have "less salt" contain far more than most of us would add ourselves.

It's just a trick of food marketers and restaurants - when we take that first taste of something salty, we usually think "yum, this is good" and importantly "I want more." I've noticed that many chef recipes contain *way* more salt and garlic than I would ever use, and I love garlic - but that's another trick to make you go "mmm good."

I think if you make your own stock and leave out the packet seasonings, you can safely add as much salt as you like on your own. Start with a little (or half what the recipe calls for if using), and then you can add more if needed.

After awhile, my bet is that there will be many products you no longer want because they taste too salty. I'm the same way with sugar.

mon125
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if anybody has a butternut squash bisque recipe. Thanks

Jenny
11-16-2011, 08:17 PM
This is from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home - we've made it many times, and it's fabulous. No cream, but ends up quite creamy and rich.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/superb-squash-soup-with-the-best-parmesa

mkats
11-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. Next time we want to make something that requires boiling chicken then I will make sure to make a stock. Do you throw in whole vegetables (meaning peel and all?) or what? mkats, you mention saving your onion and carrot and beet peels, I use a lot of onion and carrot, should I start saving the peels? I just can't imagine any flavor coming out of the papery onion peel.

Not the papery stuff, although I have thrown that in during moments of extreme laziness :lol: I'm talking about the layer right under that - the one that's kind of greenish, kind of tough to chew. I usually peel that off and throw it in the "to be made into stock" tupperware. Carrots and beets I just wash really well and then peel directly into the tupperware - oh, and I throw in the tops as well. Anything that I can get clean enough goes in there.

I saw a recipe of Ina Garten's once for chicken stock that involved three whole chickens and then throwing out all the meat :eek: I always thought of stock - meat or vegetable - being one of those things that people made in the old days from leftover scraps, and I kind have fun recreating that in my own kitchen :shuffle:

Note though - if you throw in any amount of beet material, expect your stock to be REALLY pink.

mkats
11-22-2011, 12:45 AM
I made chicken noodle soup from scratch today and it was :swoon: . Perfect for a cold rainy day :)

Realized I forgot - does anyone add eggshells when making stock? Our discussion upthread got me interested in stock recipes and I saw that a bunch of people swear by eggshells for extra calcium. I might try that next time... not that I'll really be able to tell the difference :lol:

Rex
11-22-2011, 01:17 AM
This is from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home - we've made it many times, and it's fabulous. No cream, but ends up quite creamy and rich.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/superb-squash-soup-with-the-best-parmesa

That does sound delicious. I have to break down and get an immersion blender, and soon.

Jenny
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
That does sound delicious. I have to break down and get an immersion blender, and soon.

I've been meaning to get one - thanks to everyone here raving about them - but in the mean time, my trusty blender works just fine.

Stefanie
11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I have a stupid baking question. I prepared an apple strudel on Sunday and instead of baking it then I decided to wrap it up and freeze it because I don't need it until Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner. I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work? I prepared it ahead of time because I knew I wouldn't have anytime between now and Thursday to make it. If it sucks, I have some white chocolate pumpkin cookies that I can bring instead (and they still taste fresh and I made them on Saturday).

Jenny
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Can't help you with baking unfortunately - other than a really good pie crust, I don't bake much!

I have a question though: deep fryers. I'd like to get one for hubby for Christmas, but all the ones I've seen seem kinda cheaply made and clunky to use. Anyone have one that they love?

His ambitions are pretty much limited to french fries and maybe onion rings - we've done them in a deep pan with a candy thermometer, but I thought it would be fun to go for the whole thing.

Habs
11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a stupid baking question. I prepared an apple strudel on Sunday and instead of baking it then I decided to wrap it up and freeze it because I don't need it until Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner. I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work? I prepared it ahead of time because I knew I wouldn't have anytime between now and Thursday to make it. If it sucks, I have some white chocolate pumpkin cookies that I can bring instead (and they still taste fresh and I made them on Saturday).

It should be fine. :)

Angelskates
11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

It's both :lol: and :( that it's in the vegetarian section and then includes, "Itís important to use good chicken stock", which means it's not vegetarian :(

Ajax
11-23-2011, 05:17 PM

Stefanie, you should be able to bake it straight from the freezer as well.
And can you give the recipe for the white choc pumpkin cookies? Those sound delicious!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, by the way... What's on everyone's menu?

BittyBug
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work?

Stefanie, you should be able to bake it straight from the freezer as well. Agree with Ajax. I'd go straight from freezer to oven, but start on a lower temperature for an initial defrost.