PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

Jenny
10-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Here's another good sounding one - saw Giada make it on tv but haven't tried it yet - although I would definitely leave out the olives :scream: and sub veggie broth for chicken broth to make it vegan:

Quinoa and Purple Potato Salad (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/quinoa-and-purple-potato-salad-recipe/index.html)

Ajax
10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Our family Thanksgiving has been postponed til the end of the month, so I have a bit of a reprive from trying to come up with something for me (vegetarian) and my cousin (vegan) to eat. I'm bored with tofurky, and I've done more variations on nut loaf and stuffed squash than I can count.

Any brilliant ideas? It's not like I don't cook vegetarian all the time, but I like to do something that "goes with" everyone else's bird & trimmings.

There are a million web sites with ideas, but am looking for something tried & true.

TIA

I kind think of a ton of ideas for vegetarian but vegan throws me for a loop...

Take a look at this:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Pumpkin-with-Cheese-Fondue-350655

It's a whole pumpkin, hollowed out and stuffed with cheese, bread and chicken broth then baked. It makes for a very festive presentation for a Thanksgiving table since the pumpkin is not cut up (yes I've tried it and it's delicious!) You can just substitute vegetable or mushroom stock. I guess the cheese makes it a no-go for your vegan relative though... Maybe try stuffing the pumpkin with a coconut milk/lentil curry type thing instead?

Another idea: See if you can find any pressed extra-firm tofu. Again, pressed, not the regular extra-firm. Chinese markets are good places to look and if you can find a spiced version (usually spiced with Chinese 5 spice which is Sechuan peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise etc) that's even better than the plain, get that. The ones I buy come in a 1 lb pack of four squares of tofu. I halve each quarter to make them thinner, then brush both sides with soy sauce, wait 5-10 minutes and bake on a foil-lined pan at 375 for about 25-30 min, turning the slices over midway. An interesting thing happens: The tofu puffs up, the skin hardens and crisps up and the exterior browns to a lovely appetizing brown. I don't like tofu much but LOVE this preparation. You can do a few things with this tofu such as:
- make a salad with the tofu, arugula/mache/baby spinach and all sorts of Thanksgiving ingredients: roasted butternut squash, pecans, dried cranberries...
-put a spinach/coconut milk gravy on it and add some Indian spices, garlic, ginger etc for a delicious tofu/spinach curry/ fake palak "paneer".

Ajax
10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I am not a vegan (I am a vegetarian) but I am wondering if there are any easy vegan cake recipes? Last month I was looking to order a vegan cake for a coworker who was retiring, but had a hard time finding a bakery that could make it. I heard that one that makes it is very expensive. I am not much of a cook, and I rarely bake, but if there is something easy, I might try making it.

Vash, I have a super easy chocolate cake recipe on my blog which happens to be vegan:
http://www.crazyradishes.com/2011/03/super-simple-chocolate-cake-and-german.html

The frosting is non-vegan but the cake itself should be fine.

mkats
10-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I roasted an enormous tray of beets and carrots today, intending to use them as side dishes all weekend. Then I just ate the whole tray for dinner :shuffle: I have a soft spot for beets because I first bought them on a whim to make dinner for Boyfriend when we went on our first vacation together, and now every time I slice into one I remember those days. :)

Then I made this - easy as pie (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-roasted-chicken-and-potatoes/detail.aspx), but unfortunately a little bland because I was too busy being :mad: over Marta Karolyi's mismanaging of our Worlds team and forgot to add the maple syrup at the end. The woman not only effs up ankles and achilles tendons but my dinner as well. Oh well - still tasty, and plenty left for the weekend!

Angelskates
10-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Does anyone have any tried and tested roasted tomato soup recipe?

Japanfan
10-08-2011, 06:03 AM
I made chicken pot pie for the first time last night and can't figure out why the filling was kind of soupy when it came out of the oven. Maybe I didn't give it enough time on the stove after I added the cream. Or perhaps I need to add more flour than the recipe called for. It tasted great, though.

Two ideas: 1) using watery vegetables - I've tried lasagna with fresh tomatoes and it's always been watery. 2) Did you use enough flour to thicken the mixture?

Re eggplant sopping up grease: I've heard many times too slice it up and put salt on it for about half an hour, then rinse off.

I've discovered an extremely easy and yummy tomato soup. I start with about 12-15 roma tomaties and 3/4 of all the cloves on one garlic bulb. I process the garlic and fry it in olive oil with about 1/2 onion. Once the mix is carmalized I add some chicken stock and the tomatoes, with a bit of savory or basil or oregano, a touch of salt and fresh ground pepper. When it's cooked (takes about 20 minutes) I process it until it's a thick liquid. Then serve with a generous sprinkle of regiano parmesan. You could add some cream as well.

Another favourite soup is smoked cheddar potato. I don't remember the proportions exactly but you use equal parts vegetable stock and beer for the base - probably about two cups of each and four or five potatoes. Cook and blend in processor, then add smoked cheddar. Alternatively, put a teaspoon of smoke flavouring in the soup and just add sharp cheddar. I first had the soup at a restaurant during the Olympics - had no idea the beer made such a wonderful broth.

Angelskates
10-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Our family Thanksgiving has been postponed til the end of the month, so I have a bit of a reprive from trying to come up with something for me (vegetarian) and my cousin (vegan) to eat. I'm bored with tofurky, and I've done more variations on nut loaf and stuffed squash than I can count.

Any brilliant ideas? It's not like I don't cook vegetarian all the time, but I like to do something that "goes with" everyone else's bird & trimmings.

There are a million web sites with ideas, but am looking for something tried & true.

TIA

How about falafel or lentil and vegetable burgers, salads, curries, dip (hummus :swoon:), pastas etc are very easy to make tasty, and vegetarian or vegan.

Angelskates
10-08-2011, 06:08 AM
I've discovered an extremely easy and yummy tomato soup. I start with about 12-15 roma tomaties and 3/4 of all the cloves on one garlic bulb. I process the garlic and fry it in olive oil with about 1/2 onion. Once the mix is carmalized I add some chicken stock and the tomatoes, with a bit of savory or basil or oregano, a touch of salt and fresh ground pepper. When it's cooked (takes about 20 minutes) I process it until it's a thick liquid. Then serve with a generous sprinkle of regiano parmesan. You could add some cream as well.

Another favourite soup is smoked cheddar potato. I don't remember the proportions exactly but you use equal parts vegetable stock and beer for the base - probably about two cups of each and four or five potatoes. Cook and blend in processor, then add smoked cheddar. Alternatively, put a teaspoon of smoke flavouring in the soup and just add sharp cheddar. I first had the soup at a restaurant during the Olympics - had no idea the beer made such a wonderful broth.

I'm vegetarian, do you think the tomato soup would have enough flavour with water or veg stock instead of chicken stock?

I've never heard of smoke flavouring...

Japanfan
10-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm vegetarian, do you think the tomato soup would have enough flavour with water or veg stock instead of chicken stock?

I've never heard of smoke flavouring...

I think veg stock would be fine - the most important thing is to use lots of garlic and fresh tomatoes. I've thought of trying just tomato paste, but am skeptical that it would be as tasty.

Smoke flavouring is really easy to find, at least around here.

Angelskates
10-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I think veg stock would be fine - the most important thing is to use lots of garlic and fresh tomatoes. I've thought of trying just tomato paste, but am skeptical that it would be as tasty.

Yay! Will be trying tomorrow!

Angelskates
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Yay! Will be trying tomorrow!

:cheer2: it was delicious! I didn't add stock (it was already liquidy enough) amd added some Roma Italian seasoning, the onion and garlic and tomatoes with some fresh basil. Easy, fast and really, really tasty!

Oh, and it was cheap too. ;)

Any more good veg soup recipes? Soup freezes well, so it's great. Especially now it's getting cold. :cold:

BigB08822
10-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know of any good lettuce wrap recipes? I was thinking of making this for dinner tomorrow but really have no clue where to begin. I was thinking of using ground chicken because I like chicken but I want the meat to be ground up very small. Then I was thinking of using mushrooms because I am obsessed with them. Other than that, what would be good? What seasoning? Most lettuce wraps are asian in style and the recipes online required tons and tons of ingredients. Do you think I could just buy some kind of asian seasoning packet and use that? Then add in what I want, such as the mushrooms, green onion, etc.

Angelskates
10-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Does anyone know of any good lettuce wrap recipes? I was thinking of making this for dinner tomorrow but really have no clue where to begin. I was thinking of using ground chicken because I like chicken but I want the meat to be ground up very small. Then I was thinking of using mushrooms because I am obsessed with them. Other than that, what would be good? What seasoning? Most lettuce wraps are asian in style and the recipes online required tons and tons of ingredients. Do you think I could just buy some kind of asian seasoning packet and use that? Then add in what I want, such as the mushrooms, green onion, etc.

Braised eggplant is amazing, and mushroom is great too. I'm vegetarian so I often use different vegetables and sometimes add finely chopped nuts for texture.

BigB08822
10-12-2011, 07:00 AM
What is braised eggplant, the same as sauteed? We love eggplant, might have to throw that in!

Angelskates
10-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Braised Eggplant in Garlic Sauce - a Popular Szechuan Dish (http://chinesefood.about.com/od/szechuancuisine/ss/eggplant_garlic.htm)

I take the pork out and cut everything up much, much smaller, but this is essentially it. :)

You can basically cook the eggplant with some oyster sauce and garlic too. YUM! (this is yum for every veg in my mind!)