PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67

Rex
09-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Rex
How did "the man" use swine to exterminate?

Maybe the answer is obvious, but since I'm white I need a little help. :o ;)

I don't want to send this thread over to Politically Incorrect. But I think it was because of the high rates of hypertension and heart disease in the African-American community. But no one ever bothered to factor in smoking and drinking and lack of exercise an deep-fried carbs - factors that pretty much affected the rest of the US as well. I guess some felt those things were the fault of "The Man"...

My parents were raised on it, as were their parents, and their parents before them and so on...I can't live without it. The pig kept a lot of people from starving after the Civil War and during the Depression.

I think I'm gonna have one more piece of toast with some bacon jam on it...

IceAlisa
09-18-2011, 05:00 PM
That sounds really decadent, Rex. I may have to try it...says the Jew...:slinkaway

The Chinese also consider the pig extremely important. IIRC, the character for family includes the character of the pig under the roof, signifying the importance of having a pig among other animals for a family to prosper and to be fed.

FiveRinger
09-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't want to send this thread over to Politically Incorrect. But I think it was because of the high rates of hypertension and heart disease in the African-American community. But no one ever bothered to factor in smoking and drinking and lack of exercise an deep-fried carbs - factors that pretty much affected the rest of the US as well. I guess some felt those things were the fault of "The Man"...

My parents were raised on it, as were their parents, and their parents before them and so on...I can't live without it. The pig kept a lot of people from starving after the Civil War and during the Depression.

I think I'm gonna have one more piece of toast with some bacon jam on it...

Yes, I've had lots of people in my lifetime preach that nonsense about swine. My parents and grandparents are from Mississippi and they fried everything and anything that simmered on a pot got a spoon full of bacon grease. My mother had lupus and died before she was 50, but all 4 sets of grandparents lived well into their 80s and 90s and they all ate pork/fried stuff everyday of their lives.

I prefer to continue to think of pork as the "other white meat"

This same cousin tried to feed me some turkey bacon (which should be illegal) and beef bacon (which I'm scared to death of). Poor thing.

Kasey
09-18-2011, 10:34 PM
I haven't eaten pork since I was 8, due to Wilbur in "Charlotte's Web" :slinkaway

Rex
09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
That sounds really decadent, Rex. I may have to try it...says the Jew...:slinkaway

The Chinese also consider the pig extremely important. IIRC, the character for family includes the character of the pig under the roof, signifying the importance of having a pig among other animals for a family to prosper and to be fed. Which Jews do eat pork? Is it Reform? Conservative?

Yes, I've had lots of people in my lifetime preach that nonsense about swine. My parents and grandparents are from Mississippi and they fried everything and anything that simmered on a pot got a spoon full of bacon grease. My mother had lupus and died before she was 50, but all 4 sets of grandparents lived well into their 80s and 90s and they all ate pork/fried stuff everyday of their lives.

I prefer to continue to think of pork as the "other white meat"

This same cousin tried to feed me some turkey bacon (which should be illegal) and beef bacon (which I'm scared to death of). Poor thing.
The pigs from back in the day were fed foods free of hormones and antibiotics. They were also higher in fat, but the quality of the meat was much better. Only in the second have of the 20th century with the introduction of the aforementioned growth hormones and antibiotics and additives to keep the pig meat lean and fat-free. But the end result was meat that is comparatively dry and lacking in taste. At least that is what I heard Alton Brown say :shuffle:.

I despise turkey bacon too. It tastes like rubber. Beef bacon isn't bad, lamb bacon a little better, but gimme my bacon, salt pork, fatback, THANK you.

shan
09-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I haven't eaten pork since I was 8, due to Wilbur in "Charlotte's Web" :slinkaway

Aww.

:rofl:

IceAlisa
09-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Which Jews do eat pork? Is it Reform? Conservative?

Jews are not supposed to eat pork at all IIRC. I actually don't eat pork chops or any other pork products with the rare exception of bacon and pepperoni. However, the reason is not religion. I happily eat shellfish and cheeseburgers. :P

It's a result of something I saw in biology lab in college and while completely irrational, still prevents me from eating minimally processed pork. :shuffle:

Rex
09-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Jews are not supposed to eat pork at all IIRC. I actually don't eat pork chops or any other pork products with the rare exception of bacon and pepperoni. However, the reason is not religion. I happily eat shellfish and cheeseburgers. :P

It's a result of something I saw in biology lab in college and while completely irrational, still prevents me from eating minimally processed pork. :shuffle:

Ohhhhhh, I didn't know. Thanks for informing me. Now I can't remember who told me or where I found the info that some Jews are allowed to eat pork. I too like to make sure my pork is always fully cooked. I'm so afraid of trichinosis (sp?).

I just ate a cheeseburger, slathered with my bacon jam :inavoid:. It did not need catsup at all.

FiveRinger
09-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Hey guys....quick question. I need some ideas for seasoning vegetables. I am having some health issues and have been advised to eat more veggies. Since it's just me here, I have a tendency to do frozen veggies. I love broccoli, but I need some more suggestions and some seasoning ideas. I love garlic, but hate lemon, and many of the recipes I'm am finding have lemon in them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sneak in some more veggies and some seasoning ideas? Thanks!

Artemis@BC
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey guys....quick question. I need some ideas for seasoning vegetables. I am having some health issues and have been advised to eat more veggies. Since it's just me here, I have a tendency to do frozen veggies. I love broccoli, but I need some more suggestions and some seasoning ideas. I love garlic, but hate lemon, and many of the recipes I'm am finding have lemon in them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sneak in some more veggies and some seasoning ideas? Thanks!

A couple of ideas, tho not for frozen veggies (which I think generally are :scream:):

~ Buy a bag of "Broccoli Slaw" (there are several brands of this stuff, find it in the refrigerated bagged salad area). This stuff goes with pretty much any salad dressing imo, but my favourites are a spicy peanut sauce or a sesame-ginger one. Toss in some dried cranberries or raisins, and some seeds or nuts, and you have a delicious, highly nutritious, and satisfying salad.

~ Make root vegetable soup. Boil up any combination of yams, carrots, beets, and/or winter squash in some stock or broth until fork-tender. Blend with an immersion blender in the pot, or a regular blender. Season with a comb of coconut milk, ginger, and curry. Voila. Freezes really well too so make a big batch. (As a variation, season with chipotle peppers.)

If you're dead-set on frozen veggies ... have you tried stir-fries? There are a gazillion prepared stir-fry sauces out there, and most of them are pretty good.

mkats
09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
One of my current favorites is zucchini or yellow squash - cut into 3 or 4 pieces, then slice each of those into slices about half a cm thick. Heat up a pan with just a thin layer of vegetable oil, lay slices face down, wait until they're just browned, flip. Then I just sprinkle them with a little black pepper and they're good to go! I do this with eggplant sometimes as well, but eggplant tends to soak up so much grease, I'd rather deal with eggplant in other ways...

Most root vegetables are :swoon: when roasted as well - carrots, celery root, fennel bulbs, parsnip, beets...

BigB08822
09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I have turned into a HUGE zucchini fan. We use it in tons of things. Last night we had a spaghetti sauce we made with lots of eggplant and seasonings and we grilled some chicken tenders to add to it. Instead of making pasta we took a zucchini and cut it into very long thin strips to mimic pasta. We just heated that in the microwave for 3-4 minutes in some chicken broth until it wasn't so raw. Then we put the "noodles" down and topped it with our spaghetti sauce. It was delicious. Much more flavorful than pasta but works the same way in your mouth. Delicious and healthy.

FiveRinger
09-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Thank you guys so much for the veggie ideas...keep them coming. I've never not liked them, it's just that there were other things that were always better! LOL. Anyway, I'm getting out of that mindset. I love soup and I like zucchini, so I will definitely give those ideas a try. I like eggplant also if it's not greasy...

BigB08822
09-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Do what we do with our eggplant. Take an eggplant and cut it into cubes and sautee them with just a little olive oil, salt (maybe not if your doctor said watch the sodium), and pepper. You can also sautee some onions, mushrooms and even zucchini in with this. Get it cooked down a bit and then dump in a cheap thing of spaghetti sauce. I say cheap because you are adding so much flavor with the vegetables and we always season heavily with oregano, garlic powder, etc. No point in spending $5 on a sauce when the cheap can for $1 tastes just as good when all is said and done. The veggies give the sauce so much substance and honestly, you don't even need to add any meat. We love it. You could do this and instead of doing the zucchini in the sauce you can do the zucchini noodles I mentioned above. Lots of veggies in this meal!

Tonight my bf is making eggplant pizzas. He cut the eggplant into discs and salted them lightly to pull out some of the moisture. Then you throw them in the oven for about 8 minutes per side under broil. Then you top them with pizza sauce, pepperoni, whatever you would like on your pizza. Lots of cheese if you can have it and put them back in to melt the cheese. It makes great mini pizzas that are certainly better for you than a real pizza! We also make our own pizza sauce with some crushed tomatoes and just season it up heavily but you can buy a can of pizza sauce for pretty cheap, I bet.

FiveRinger
09-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Do what we do with our eggplant. Take an eggplant and cut it into cubes and sautee them with just a little olive oil, salt (maybe not if your doctor said watch the sodium), and pepper. You can also sautee some onions, mushrooms and even zucchini in with this. Get it cooked down a bit and then dump in a cheap thing of spaghetti sauce. I say cheap because you are adding so much flavor with the vegetables and we always season heavily with oregano, garlic powder, etc. No point in spending $5 on a sauce when the cheap can for $1 tastes just as good when all is said and done. The veggies give the sauce so much substance and honestly, you don't even need to add any meat. We love it. You could do this and instead of doing the zucchini in the sauce you can do the zucchini noodles I mentioned above. Lots of veggies in this meal!

Tonight my bf is making eggplant pizzas. He cut the eggplant into discs and salted them lightly to pull out some of the moisture. Then you throw them in the oven for about 8 minutes per side under broil. Then you top them with pizza sauce, pepperoni, whatever you would like on your pizza. Lots of cheese if you can have it and put them back in to melt the cheese. It makes great mini pizzas that are certainly better for you than a real pizza! We also make our own pizza sauce with some crushed tomatoes and just season it up heavily but you can buy a can of pizza sauce for pretty cheap, I bet.

I am definitely going to have to try that. I do like eggplant. Anyway to sneak in some veggies that I can, I'm going to try! Cheese isn't an issue, at least not yet. And I've never been a big salt eater, so I'm good there, too.

I've been banned from coffee because it makes me hold water. Lots of change for me.....I'll have to let you all know how it goes.