PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skatesindreams
09-01-2011, 09:08 PM
That's why it responds well to marinades, and being sliced on the bias.
It was traditionally known as "London Broil".

BigB08822
09-03-2011, 02:32 AM
I made some amazing baked chicken tonight. I dipped the chicken in egg and then I coated it in crushed GOLDFISH! I have done this with crackers before but I saw the goldfish and thought "hmmm..." I also put in some cayenne pepper with the crumbs. It turned out delicious after I baked it for about 30 minutes. You got a hint of the goldfish and then the punch of the cayenne. YUM. I highly recommend trying this.

pat c
09-03-2011, 04:31 AM
I made some amazing baked chicken tonight. I dipped the chicken in egg and then I coated it in crushed GOLDFISH! I have done this with crackers before but I saw the goldfish and thought "hmmm..." I also put in some cayenne pepper with the crumbs. It turned out delicious after I baked it for about 30 minutes. You got a hint of the goldfish and then the punch of the cayenne. YUM. I highly recommend trying this.

I've used vinta crackers as a coating. It's really good too. :)
http://www.darefoods.com/flavour.aspx?id=26&fid=88&lang=en

sk8pics
09-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Last night I tried out a recipe for zucchini that a friend had made for me last week. Sliced the zucchini very thin, heated some olive oil and butter in a pan. Crushed some fresh garlic and mixed in salt with it (about 4 garlic cloves and not quite a teaspoon of salt). When the oil was hot, added the garlic/salt mixture and then dumped in the sliced zucchini. Stirred it, covered it and let it simmer 10 or 15 minutes, until tender. It was good. I was cooking it over at another friend's house, and her husband said he didn't really like zucchini. Then he tasted it and said, "Actually... that's good!" :lol: That was my reaction the week before at my other friend's house.

Jenny
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Last night I tried out a recipe for zucchini that a friend had made for me last week. Sliced the zucchini very thin, heated some olive oil and butter in a pan. Crushed some fresh garlic and mixed in salt with it (about 4 garlic cloves and not quite a teaspoon of salt). When the oil was hot, added the garlic/salt mixture and then dumped in the sliced zucchini. Stirred it, covered it and let it simmer 10 or 15 minutes, until tender. It was good. I was cooking it over at another friend's house, and her husband said he didn't really like zucchini. Then he tasted it and said, "Actually... that's good!" :lol: That was my reaction the week before at my other friend's house.

That sounds good - will try!

One of our favourite veggie dishes combined chunky zucchini and yellow squash, mixed bell peppers, onion and whole cherry or grape tomatoes with olive oil, chili pepper flakes (or fresh if you have) and a handful of whatever fresh herbs you may have. We bake it in the oven or in a tin on the barbecue - yum. Great with freshly grated romano too.

Rex
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Flank steak is a little tough. You want to marinate it, cook it for a few minutes on each side and then slice it against the grain of the meat. That will make it more tender. Agree with Rex it makes a great steak salad with crumbled blue cheese or a sandwich with au jus.

There is a place near me called More Than Just Ice Cream. They make one of the most heavenly steak salads evah...including their own homemade cream dressing.

If I can get off my big lazy ass and get to the market this weekend, I will be making bacon jam (http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2011/01/17/bacon-jam-a-k-a-oooh-mommy-jam/). I saw it on Unique Eats on The Cooking Channel - I simply have to try this.

Cupid
09-15-2011, 03:14 PM
There is a place near me called More Than Just Ice Cream. They make one of the most heavenly steak salads evah...including their own homemade cream dressing.

If I can get off my big lazy ass and get to the market this weekend, I will be making bacon jam (http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2011/01/17/bacon-jam-a-k-a-oooh-mommy-jam/). I saw it on Unique Eats on The Cooking Channel - I simply have to try this.

That sounds heavenly! Let us know how it turns out. I printed off the Cream of Broccoli Soup and DIY Creme Fraiche recipe to make this weekend. I love cooking especially in the fall!!

Rex
09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
That sounds heavenly! Let us know how it turns out. I printed off the Cream of Broccoli Soup and DIY Creme Fraiche recipe to make this weekend. I love cooking especially in the fall!!

I will. I think I'm gonna splurge on some thicker, better-quality cuts of bacon.

I enjoy cooking in the fall as well. It's simply too hot to go near a stove in the summertime.

Rex
09-18-2011, 03:10 AM

Making it now. I hate the combined odor of garlic, coffee, onions, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. I halved the recipe - I don't want to use THREE POUNDS of bacon, even if I did get stuff on sale. The trick here is to cook it down I guess. And I should have chopped my onions thicker. I should be done in time for SNL.

IceAlisa
09-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Rex, I am intrigued. Let us know how it turns out.

FiveRinger
09-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Making it now. I hate the combined odor of garlic, coffee, onions, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. I halved the recipe - I don't want to use THREE POUNDS of bacon, even if I did get stuff on sale. The trick here is to cook it down I guess. And I should have chopped my onions thicker. I should be done in time for SNL.

Please let me know how this turns out. I don't think you can go wrong with bacon, ever.

I have a cousin who is married to a guy (who is not Muslim or Jewish) and he won't let her bring pork in the house. She has to sneak and eat it. That, is reason enough to end a relationship! :slinkaway

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Why wont he let her bring pork in the house if it isn't a religious issue? Is it all meat? I never understood vegetarians who didn't allow meat in their house. I've heard awful roommate stories. Just because you wont eat it doesn't mean others have to abstain.

FiveRinger
09-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Why wont he let her bring pork in the house if it isn't a religious issue? Is it all meat? I never understood vegetarians who didn't allow meat in their house. I've heard awful roommate stories. Just because you wont eat it doesn't mean others have to abstain.

He's not allergic and it's not religious. She married an idiot, and to avoid spinsterhood she puts up with it:rolleyes:

Rex
09-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Rex, I am intrigued. Let us know how it turns out.

Please let me know how this turns out. I don't think you can go wrong with bacon, ever.

I have a cousin who is married to a guy (who is not Muslim or Jewish) and he won't let her bring pork in the house. She has to sneak and eat it. That, is reason enough to end a relationship! :slinkaway

I just finished my breakfast of over easy eggs with two pieces of multi-grain toast - slathered with bacon jam. :). It tastes really good. I let it sit at room temp, but I'm putting it in the fridge shortly - it can last up to a month in there. Once the ingredients reduced after a couple of hours cooking very low, it got syrupy and jam-like. The flavors were very intense last night, but this morning? Just fine. And like I said, I cut the ingredients in half.

No one can make me give up pork!! Not even a man!! No way. I understand religious/cultural reasons for not eating it, and there are actually some people who are allergic. But I simply love it. I have so many relatives, friends and acquaintances in my community who gave up pork because of Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali, who both converted to Islam, and they haven't eaten it. My uncle was briefly a member of the Black Panthers, and his first wife persuaded him to give it up 'cause "the man" was using swine to exterminate us :rofl:. KILL ME, Mr. White Man, 'cause Rexie will be eating pork until he dies.

JAF
09-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I have so many relatives, friends and acquaintances in my community who gave up pork because of Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali, who both converted to Islam, and they haven't eaten it. My uncle was briefly a member of the Black Panthers, and his first wife persuaded him to give it up 'cause "the man" was using swine to exterminate us :rofl:. KILL ME, Mr. White Man, 'cause Rexie will be eating pork until he dies.
Rex
How did "the man" use swine to exterminate?

Maybe the answer is obvious, but since I'm white I need a little help. :o ;)