PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I like the sweetness of Miracle Whip. I absolutely LOVE it on a scrambled egg sandwich or used on a Sloppy Joe. I can usually trade out real Mayo with no problem but on a few things I must have Miracle Whip.

Jenny
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
My beloved grandmother used to make her salads with half sour cream and half Miracle Whip. For that reason alone, members of my family occasionally buy the smallest jar possible to recreate her salad.

BigB08822
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
My awful luck with the asparagus soup continues. I went to the store to purchase what I need to remake this and the asparagus has gone back up to $3.00 a bundle. Double what it was before and the reason I wanted to make it in the first place. :wuzrobbed It has been $1.50 for 2 weeks and TODAY it has to go back up? :wall:

Stefanie
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Ours is still $1.50 a bundle; if shipping wasn't worth more than the asparagus I'd send some your way. :)

Speaking of asparagus, I made a yummy carmelized onion and asparagus quiche last week. The only thing I'd do differently was replace the Swiss cheese with something else. I thought it was a little strong, but other people liked it so maybe I won't change it when I make it in the future.

emason
04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
My awful luck with the asparagus soup continues. I went to the store to purchase what I need to remake this and the asparagus has gone back up to $3.00 a bundle. Double what it was before and the reason I wanted to make it in the first place. :wuzrobbed It has been $1.50 for 2 weeks and TODAY it has to go back up? :wall:

Asparagus is a traditional vegetable for spring meals, like Easter, which is only a few days away. It's price gouging for the season, just like the tin of matzoh farfel I bought that cost +$6.00. If it weren't Passover the farfel would have cost half that.

Stefanie
04-21-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm making Hot Cross Buns for the first time. I hope they turn out. They're on their second rise right now.

BigB08822
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
My soup is made and tasting pretty good. I wish it had some more flavor but not sure what else I could do. It has plenty of spice from the pepper and the little bit of crab boil. I've added as much salt as I am comfortable adding because of all the chicken stock. This has enough sodium to give me a stroke, I'm sure. Any ideas? I haven't added the cream so I am really hesitant to add anything until that last bit is added.

BigB08822
05-03-2011, 06:03 AM
I found a great way to make homemade icecream very quickly. I had heard of it before but never thought to give it a try until today.

Fill a gallon size ziploc bag half way with ice and sprinkle liberally with salt or use rock salt if you have it.

In a sandwich size ziploc bag pour in 1/2 a cup of milk or half and half (or a combination), 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla then close the bag very tightly. Put the small bag into the big bag of ice and zip up the bag. Shake for 4-5 minutes until you have ice cream! It comes out delicious. I am thinking of trying this next time without the sugar and seeing if it is edible, would be a great way to enjoy a more diabetic friendly snack.

Angelskates
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I've only read the last couple of pages and the talk of homemade Mayo has me curious - recipes? (I don't like sweet Mayo)

skaternum
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Just made my favorite crock pot dish last night. I'm ashamed to admit that it uses Cream of Chicken soup, but it's actually really good.

Mix together 16 oz sour cream + 1 can cream of chicken soup.
In crock pot, layer 5 strips of bacon, then cubed raw chicken. Spread 1/2 the mixture.
Make another layer of bacon, chicken, & rest of the mixture.
Add a layer of bacon on top.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

The smoky bacon smell & flavor is yummy!

skatemommy
05-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I found a great way to make homemade icecream very quickly. I had heard of it before but never thought to give it a try until today.

Fill a gallon size ziploc bag half way with ice and sprinkle liberally with salt or use rock salt if you have it.

In a sandwich size ziploc bag pour in 1/2 a cup of milk or half and half (or a combination), 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla then close the bag very tightly. Put the small bag into the big bag of ice and zip up the bag. Shake for 4-5 minutes until you have ice cream! It comes out delicious. I am thinking of trying this next time without the sugar and seeing if it is edible, would be a great way to enjoy a more diabetic friendly snack.

Brian, you can also do this with 2 coffee cans! We visited friends in Florida on spring break on a rainy day and they planned this for my 12 year old. Put a small can (with the lid secured with tape) inside a large can with the ice and salt and lid secured. They you roll it back and forth on the floor! 10 minutes later, open, stir, repeat. It was SO good!

Jenny
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Just made my favorite crock pot dish last night. I'm ashamed to admit that it uses Cream of Chicken soup, but it's actually really good.

Now now, comfort food allows for such things. :)

However, you might consider trying to make your own equivalent by thickening some chicken stock with a roux of butter and flour, and then seasoning it with pepper, thyme or other flavours you like. If you didn't already have the sour cream, I'd say add cream, but no need here.

For many, many years and up until very recently I did hubby's favourite tuna casserole with a can of cream of celery soup - I've since replaced it with actual celery and a cream sauce, and he likes it better. He also now does his family's long time favourite pork chops in mushroom sauce with rice without the soup now, and instead sautes mushrooms into his own cream sauce made in the pork chop fry pan to great success.

Haven't got my family away from turkey gravy made with drippings + a can of golden mushroom soup yet though. :lol:

BigB08822
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Brian, you can also do this with 2 coffee cans! We visited friends in Florida on spring break on a rainy day and they planned this for my 12 year old. Put a small can (with the lid secured with tape) inside a large can with the ice and salt and lid secured. They you roll it back and forth on the floor! 10 minutes later, open, stir, repeat. It was SO good!

I read about this but we don't drink coffee so we had no cans. I also didn't have any other viable substitutes. I would prefer to use the coffee cans as you can probably make more AND it is a lot easier. It gets a bit tough shaking that bag for 5 minutes and my hands get cold so I end up using oven mits, haha.

skaternum
05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Now now, comfort food allows for such things. :)

However, you might consider trying to make your own equivalent by thickening some chicken stock with a roux of butter and flour, and then seasoning it with pepper, thyme or other flavours you like. If you didn't already have the sour cream, I'd say add cream, but no need here.Oh yes, I'm quite familiar with making my own cream sauces. But to be honest, when I'm trying to get food in the crockpot on a work day morning, I simply don't have time to stand over the stove making a cream sauce. But I do have time to slop some Campbell's into a crock pot. :slinkaway

Jenny
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Like I said, comfort foods are often the exception for so many of us. I think I will still be enjoying the occasional box of Kraft Dinner until I die - I literally grew up on the stuff, and much as I like making macaroni and cheese from scratch, it's never even close to the bright orange goodness I've always loved.