PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
OK, the chicken breasts turned out very well, very tender and flavorful.
Here's what you'll need:

2-3 chicken breasts
Russian low fat kefir, plain, I used about 1/2 cup. I am sure buttermilk will work just as well
1/2 teasp fresh rosemary, chopped fine--have to be careful with our rosemary as it's STRONG!!!
1 teasp fresh sage, chopped fine
1 teasp dried marjoram
1 teasp dried thyme
4-5 cloves of garlic, the more the merrier, minced
1 tblsp Dijon mustard
1 tblsp honey

I slice the breasts to 1/2 thickness and tenderize. Combine the marinade ingredients and whisk together. Coat the chicken breasts evenly and refrigerate for 4 hrs or overnight.

Warm up some oil (I did lite olive plus a tiny pat of butter) in a pan. Warm up stove to 375F. Brown the breasts on each side and finish off in the stove for about 4 minutes.

Stefanie
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
OK, the chicken breasts turned out very well, very tender and flavorful.

Thanks! I look forward to trying this next week. :)

peibeck
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I'll make my ice cubes....they are CLASSIC and everyone LOVES them.

Bah, you stole that recipe from Sandra Lee! :EVILLE:

For salad conniseurs, Litehouse is now making several Kefir salad dressings which are quite tasty with much less fat than normal creamy dressings.

IceAlisa
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Resurrecting this thread to ask a question. I like this pie recipe with one exception: limeade.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/frozen-limeade-pie-recipe/index.html

I love the idea of combining whipped cream (NOT using store bought stuff) and sweet condensed milk. But hate the idea of frozen limeade from concentrate.

Any other flavoring suggestions?

Eureka! Instead of the dreaded limeade concentrate I used a couple of shots of Limoncello along with the lemon and orange zest. And I whipped my own cream, thank you very much, none of that stuff from the can, Mrs. Neely! :encore:

I didn't use any additional sugar as the graham crackers already have plenty and other than that used the recipe above. It's in the freezer now and was super easy to make (if you disregard the ache in my elbow from the whipping...):shuffle:

emason
01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Eureka! Instead of the dreaded limeade concentrate I used a couple of shots of Limoncello along with the lemon and orange zest. And I whipped my own cream, thank you very much, none of that stuff from the can, Mrs. Neely!

Read that recipe more carefully; Mrs. Neely isn't using cream from a can, she's using 'whipped topping', a la Cool Whip or something like that - a plastic product that is not even cream.

Rex
01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Bah, you stole that recipe from Sandra Lee! :EVILLE:

:rofl:
I actually got it from Bobby Flay, but omitted the chipotles...

IceAlisa
01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Read that recipe more carefully; Mrs. Neely isn't using cream from a can, she's using 'whipped topping', a la Cool Whip or something like that - a plastic product that is not even cream.

I know, they are equally gross IMO and are interchangeable. I knew I wasn't going to use it and so didn't really pay attention. And one more thing: I thought the whole can of sweet condensed milk was too much and used about 1/3 of a can instead. The pie is lovely.

LuckyCharm
01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Deleted because I'm on crack. Well, not really. I just posted in the wrong thread. :slinkaway

KCC
01-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I baked Orange Roughy last night in frozen orange juice concentrate and the result was delicious (and very quick). Pam the pan, salt & pepper the filets, cover with thawed orange juice concentrate, and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. It's about as easy as it gets. Buy the Roughy frozen, on sale.

Rex
01-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Eureka! Instead of the dreaded limeade concentrate I used a couple of shots of Limoncello along with the lemon and orange zest. And I whipped my own cream, thank you very much, none of that stuff from the can, Mrs. Neely! :encore:Slightly OT but I have issues with Gina, serious ones.

I made a ham loaf this weekend and I have to throw it out. I think it's because I used that low-rent canned ham they sell in CVS. Most ham loaf recipes are made using leftover fancy-dancy hams. The only thing that came out right was the cream-based sauce that went with it.

I hate wasting food nowadays, but I don't know what else to do with it.

1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 pounds ground fully cooked ham
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
MUSTARD SAUCE:
2 egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
Directions

In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, milk and eggs. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cloves and mustard. Spread in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Press meat mixture on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving platters.
For sauce, combine egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, sugar, water and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches 160 degrees F, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and horseradish. Cool. Fold in cream. Serve with ham loaves.

FiveRinger
01-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Slightly OT but I have issues with Gina, serious ones.

Ok, you knew I was going to ask you what those were. Am I the only one tired of the Spice Fairy and Lil Piggy?

I used to really like them when they first came on, but they are about on my nerves. There isn't that much togetherness in the world, is there?

Rex
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Ok, you knew I was going to ask you what those were. Am I the only one tired of the Spice Fairy and Lil Piggy?

I used to really like them when they first came on, but they are about on my nerves. There isn't that much togetherness in the world, is there?

Oy, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Pat I can tolerate. Love his interaction with his brothers and his family dishes.

FiveRinger
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Oy, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Pat I can tolerate. Love his interaction with his brothers and his family dishes.

I can see that. And yes, his interaction with his family is nice.

Rex
01-15-2011, 01:46 AM
I can see that. And yes, his interaction with his family is nice. I made their creamed collard greens and they came out pretty good.

They should do "The Neely BROTHERS" and focus on the family business. I'd like that better than him and Gina pawing over each other all the time.

FiveRinger
01-15-2011, 02:56 AM
I made their creamed collard greens and they came out pretty good.

They should do "The Neely BROTHERS" and focus on the family business. I'd like that better than him and Gina pawing over each other all the time.

Exactly! How much rep do I owe you now? :slinkaway