PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Stefanie
10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I just wanted to report back on making the shoulder roast. It was delicious! I mixed some soy sauce with beef broth and added some water and then put the roast on top. Cooked it for 8 hours in the slow cooker...and the meat was juicy and fell apart. YUM. :)

neptune
10-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Thank you! I will try it today! :)

You're welcome. Please let us know what happened. :) You may need to cook the oats for more than 5 minutes. I usually just made 1/4 cup at a time, though, so usually 5 minutes was enough for me.

Rex
10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I just wanted to report back on making the shoulder roast. It was delicious! I mixed some soy sauce with beef broth and added some water and then put the roast on top. Cooked it for 8 hours in the slow cooker...and the meat was juicy and fell apart. YUM. :)

Sounds great. I may have to use my slow cooker this weekend.

IceAlisa
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Resurrecting this thread to ask a question. I like this pie recipe with one exception: limeade.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/frozen-limeade-pie-recipe/index.html

I love the idea of combining whipped cream (NOT using store bought stuff) and sweet condensed milk. But hate the idea of frozen limeade from concentrate.

Any other flavoring suggestions?

skatemommy
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
How about frozen tart cherry? Here in Michigan you can find all things cherry. :) (even cherry burgers - they are quite good!)

IceAlisa
12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Ooh, cherry burgers sound interesting. I don't know if I can find frozen tart cherries or any tart cherries around here though.

skatemommy
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
http://www.plevas.com/products.htm

Jodi
01-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I think I posted last Christmas about how much I loved this nut roast (http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2008/11/nut-roast-with-chestnuts.html), minus the cheese and with some breadcrumbs. I have now found it also makes a really excellent filling for vegetarian sausage rolls. :swoon: I think my next experiment will involve adding some classic sausage spices to it.

I got a copy of the Veganomicon for my birthday and have been drooling my way through it :swoon: I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat and I'm picky about eggs and dairy, and it just looks full of the kind of food I would choose to eat anyway. Haven't had chance to try any of the recipes yet but I'm really looking forward to it :rollin:

IceAlisa
01-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Picked up some chicken breasts today which after having been tenderized are now happily marinating in buttermilk (OK, actually it's the Russian Kefir to be honest. I am experimenting).

In with the faux buttermilk are minced garlic, chopped fresh rosemary and sage, dried thyme and marjoram, Dijon mustard and honey. I am thinking of browning them in a pan and finishing off for a few minutes in the oven.

Stefanie
01-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Picked up some chicken breasts today which after having been tenderized are now happily marinating in buttermilk (OK, actually it's the Russian Kefir to be honest. I am experimenting).

In with the faux buttermilk are minced garlic, chopped fresh rosemary and sage, dried thyme and marjoram, Dijon mustard and honey. I am thinking of browning them in a pan and finishing off for a few minutes in the oven.

Gosh, that sounds delicious! I've made chicken tenders that were soaked/marinated in buttermilk before I baked them. If you come up with an exact recipe for what you've made above, maybe you could share. ;)

Tonight I made a recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine. It was fettucine with baby arugula, Italian turkey sausage, and cherry tomatoes--sprinkled with shaved parmesan cheese. It's a keeper! And it only took about 25 minutes to make.

IceAlisa
01-06-2011, 02:43 AM
If it turns out well, I will make sure to share. :)

Rex
01-06-2011, 03:34 AM
IceAlisa, I have to try this - where can I get kefir? Don't they sell it in Middle Eastern markets?

I made a coca-cola ham for New Year's. I got the recipe from Nigella Lawson years ago.
I also made a pumpkin spice cake with orange glaze I mentioned before. It was so good I had to make one for myself :slinkaway.

IceAlisa
01-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I get kefir at the local Trader Joe's. If you don't have one near you, try a Russian deli. Middle Eastern markets are worth checking out too. :)

The cake sounds amazing. :swoon:

Rex
01-06-2011, 04:05 AM
I get kefir at the local Trader Joe's. If you don't have one near you, try a Russian deli. Middle Eastern markets are worth checking out too. :)

The cake sounds amazing. :swoon:

Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cake
1 18.25-ounce box spice cake or carrot cake mix
3/4 C milk
1/4 C canola oil (This saves you 89%, lllliteralllly!)
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (pumpkin pie filling will work too)
1 T of pumpkin pie spice (If using pumpkin pie filling, adjust this to taste)
3 eggs
1 navel orange, zested; juice reserved
Thick Orange Glaze, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, milk, oil, eggs, pumpkin puree (or pie filling), pumpkin pie spice and orange zest.

Pour batter into prepared pan, tap lightly on counter to remove any air bubbles, and bake for 52 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.

Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a lined baking sheet or baking rack. Cool completely.

Here's the story behind the glaze, if you don't mind.

Back in 2008, I bought a bag of tangerines by mistake at the last minute before making this cake and ended up using a horrible orange glaze from AllRecipes that nearly ruined the cake entirely. So last year, I created the following glaze and it is purrrrfection, lllliteralllly!

Thick Orange Glaze
2 C powdered sugar
2 T + 1 t fresh orange juice
cup milk
1 t orange zest
Orange food coloring (optional)

Combine ingredients in bowl and whisk until smooth. Spoon over the entire top of the cooled Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cake.

Glide2
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I made a good cinni-bun recipe by combining best of several recipes. It's a yummy weekend treat.

about 3 spoons Smart Balance spread (or butter, etc)
about 1/8 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
brown sugar type sweetener
generous amount cinnamon
1/2 pear, diced (apple is good too)
1/3 cup or less cottage cheese (optional)
1/4 cup or less splenda
1 cup low carb baking mix ( I use carbquik)
less than 1/2 cup low carb milk drink ( I use Hood Calorie Countdown)

Place butter, nuts and sweetener in small baking pan and place in oven to melt. Mix rest of ingredients. Add to baking pan in heaping spoonfuls. It makes six small servings.