PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Rex
09-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Only if you promise to make something that you know who would be proud of!

Where do you live again? :cool:

:shuffle: never mind :D.

I'll make my ice cubes....they are CLASSIC and everyone LOVES them.

Lacey
09-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Don't know where to post this, recipes or gardening threads?

My ever friendly back porch squirrels or chipmunks, who hang around despite my two Labradors (or because of the always sweet dogs' lack of killer instinct, never caught one yet, don’t even chase most), ate each and every tomato growing on the huge plant I sheltered in the ground all summer before the fruits turned red on the vine. I swear they waited until the tomatoes were just turning from green to red, and then poof, gone.

I also had some lovely heirloom full size tomatoes, called Mr. Stripey, growing separately in one of those Topsy Turvy hanging containers; they turned into a gorgeous red, orange and yellow tomato, and we had a few that the nasty little bugger varmints couldn't reach; made some great Caprese salads with Basil and fresh Mozzarella with those.

But there were not enough ripened tomato survivors to make sauce. So this weekend, I purchased about 20 at a farmer's market. The price wasn’t too bad and I was not to be deterred from the idea I had had in May when I first planted the seedlings.

Today I made lovely homemade sauce, complete with skinned tomatoes, half of one whole Basil plant (out of 6 still blooming, this one produced at least 200 leaves and I used half here), Oregano, Italian Parsley, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar.

We had it for dinner, very very fabulous tasty, one could become a vegetarian over the tastiness. It was a little watery. Going to freeze remainder, about three more meals’ worth, just cook pasta and go. And I guess the way around the juiciness is to add tomato paste when I defrost and cook throughout the autumn and winter.

Also made Basil Pesto with remaining half of that plant, about 100 leaves, pine nuts, some flat Parsley, garlic, and olive oil. Delish. Added Parmesan Reggiano separately because we have a granddaughter who is allergic to cheese, it was good with or without. The contents of three additional meals frozen, 3 Tomato Sauce, 3 Basil Pesto Sauce.

The whole thing was so great, I am going to repeat and repeat until there are no more local tomatoes around and I have the contents of ready to go meals galore.

Cupid
09-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I've been very disappointed with our farmer's market tomatoes this year. They almost seem as bad as the grocery store hothouse ones. My mom's cousin has a garden and gave me a batch of real tomatoes, and I'll tell you those farmer market ones pale in comparison.

I haven't seen much of the cherry tomatoes this season. I love to roast those whole in the oven with EVOO and garlic cloves until they're cooked down quite a bit and mixing in fresh basil and cooked pasta with freshly grated parmesan. Heaven!

Rex
09-20-2010, 02:18 AM
I've been very disappointed with our farmer's market tomatoes this year. They almost seem as bad as the grocery store hothouse ones. My mom's cousin has a garden and gave me a batch of real tomatoes, and I'll tell you those farmer market ones pale in comparison.

I haven't seen much of the cherry tomatoes this season. I love to roast those whole in the oven with EVOO and garlic cloves until they're cooked down quite a bit and mixing in fresh basil and cooked pasta with freshly grated parmesan. Heaven!

What? Was it the weather that caused the bad crop maybe? I did get some nice Swiss chard this year.

emason
09-20-2010, 04:44 AM
We had it for dinner, very very fabulous tasty, one could become a vegetarian over the tastiness. It was a little watery. Going to freeze remainder, about three more mealsí worth, just cook pasta and go. And I guess the way around the juiciness is to add tomato paste when I defrost and cook throughout the autumn and winter.

If you think it's too watery, then why not just boil it down a bit until it 'reduces' as all those TV Chef/Gods are wont to say.

Lacey
09-20-2010, 05:42 AM

I've never met a bad Heirloom tomato, whether grown in my own garden or purchased at market. Have you tried these? The color, the clarity, the bouquet...I feel like I am talking about a great bottle of wine. The many varieties of Heirloom tomatoes are so much better than Plum tomatoes. Not a bad one in the bunch!

skatemommy
09-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi all, at one point someone posted a recipe for steel cut oatmeal. I tried to make it this morning and it just doesn't taste like that which you might find in a good breakfast buffet. Slow-cooker or otherwise, I would appreciate any help!

Stefanie
10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a cooking question. My parents bought half a cow (literally!) and gave me some of the meat. One of the packages is called "Shoulder Roast". I've never heard of this cut of meat and am not sure how to cook it or find a recipe to use for it. Is this the cut one would use to make roast beef? Also, the butcher didn't write the weight on it so I have no clue how much it would serve.

FiveRinger
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a cooking question. My parents bought half a cow (literally!) and gave me some of the meat. One of the packages is called "Shoulder Roast". I've never heard of this cut of meat and am not sure how to cook it or find a recipe to use for it. Is this the cut one would use to make roast beef? Also, the butcher didn't write the weight on it so I have no clue how much it would serve.

I found this on the web....
http://sonic.net/~alden/MeatBeefChuck.html

When I firs read this, all I could think about was "The Freezer" episode of I Love Lucy where Ethel and she bought two sides of beef and didn't know how much meat it was! :D

Stefanie
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I found this on the web....
http://sonic.net/~alden/MeatBeefChuck.html

When I firs read this, all I could think about was "The Freezer" episode of I Love Lucy where Ethel and she bought two sides of beef and didn't know how much meat it was! :D

Thanks, FiveRinger! :) It says it's tough and usually cooked in liquid, so maybe I can put it in a marinade and then stick it in the slow cooker or something.

Rex
10-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks, FiveRinger! :) It says it's tough and usually cooked in liquid, so maybe I can put it in a marinade and then stick it in the slow cooker or something.

This is a tougher, more muscley cut of meat, right? It should do well in a slow-cooker...

Stefanie
10-22-2010, 06:55 PM
This is a tougher, more muscley cut of meat, right? It should do well in a slow-cooker...

I have it in the freezer now, so I am going to start thawing it out when I get home and try to cook it on Sunday. I guess I'll need to trim the fat (if there is any) before putting it in the slow cooker.

neptune
10-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi all, at one point someone posted a recipe for steel cut oatmeal. I tried to make it this morning and it just doesn't taste like that which you might find in a good breakfast buffet. Slow-cooker or otherwise, I would appreciate any help!

I don't know how far up-thread that other recipe is, but here is how I used to make steel-cut oats for years:

1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. whey, yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir
1 cup boiling water
sea salt to taste (optional)

Mix oats, warm water, and whey. Cover, and let stand overnight (at least 7 hours) or as long as 24 hours.

Add boiling water and sea salt to soaked oats, and simmer on low for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then you can stir in butter, sweetener, ground flax, or anything else your heart desires. :)

skatemommy
10-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Thank you! I will try it today! :)

Prancer
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I've made this in a slow cooker:

1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups of water
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook on low for about eight hours; if you let it go more than that, it will probably start to burn around the edges.

Really, though, 1 cup of oats, four to five cups of liquid and any mixture of dried fruit ought to cook up nicely. If you prefer creamier oatmeal, leave out the apple juice and use milk instead, or use four cups of water and half a cup to a cup of half and half.