PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Lainerb
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Miso Soup - anyone have a favourite recipe that does not require a fedex from Japan?

You can get good quality Miso paste from any health food or organic grocery store. Traditional Miso would have wakame or kombu, but you can substitute with any sea vegetable such as sea lettuce or dulse, I usually like to garnish with chives or chive flowers, shiitake is good and if you want a real treat and have access to them then nothing beats a Matsutake Miso.

I generally just bring my water to a boil with the sea vegetables, chives, sesame oil and then if using Matsutake add it in fresh at the end or if shiitake then I saute them first in oil and then add( I don't like boiling mushrooms in the soup because they end up soggy) and then finally stir in your miso paste so you don't lose the benefits of the miso during cooking, you can also add fried tofu for some protein.

Sorry, I know it's not exact, but it generally turns out well.

Lainerb
07-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I am going to attempt a lentil soup without the trifecta of onions, carrots and celery. Instead I will have very finely chopped shallots, fennel and rutabaga. Does this sound crazy?

I cannot suffer celery and am not terribly in love with cooked carrots but I do like to crunch them raw.

I will also use spices including cumin, oregano and something else that escapes my memory, stewed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and spinach.

No, it sounds awesome! I personally would add garlic anyway.

IceAlisa
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
No, it sounds awesome! I personally would add garlic anyway.

Yes, I was planning on using garlic. :)

Lainerb
07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I always add dried porcini that is powdered first to give a slightly 'meaty' flavor to my lentil or bean soups. It might sound weird but it gives that extra depth of flavor to vegetarian based dishes or 'umami' as the Japanese would say.

IceAlisa
07-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I think it's a great idea! I might have to steal it. Also, I meant to say "turnip" and not rutabaga as rutabaga is a bit sharp.

michiruwater
07-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I can't imagine miso soup without a dashi stock. You can find powdered dashi at most Asian food marts. Make the stock, add the miso, and then the sea vegetables, spring onion, and tofu, if you're going for the traditional miso soup. Get the white miso as opposed to the red. You can find wakame seaweed in most major chain grocery marts these days, or at an Asian market.

Lainerb
07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
What kind of dashi? I don't eat fish so fish(bonito or sardine) dashi is out of the question for me, but most dashi is simply kombu boiled in water and then the kombu is strained out or you can make dashi from shiitake as well. I suppose the most 'authentic' dashi would be kombu and bonito together.

One could always simply boil the kombu in and leave it as well. I generally do this and it turns out fine.

Prancer
07-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Coconut Cream Pie for Coconut Cream Pie Lovers

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups half-and-half
1-1/2 cups coconut milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted--divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked

Combine first six ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl and cook on High, stirring every minute, until the custard is thickened (usually about seven minutes, but varies). Stir in 3/4 cup of coconut and extract. Pour into pie crust. Cool at least four hours.

Whip together until stiff:

1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 tsp. coconut extract
Sugar to taste

Spread over pie. Top with remaining toasted coconut.

Variations that all work out fine:

Use all coconut milk or all half-and-half
Substitute Coco Lopez or other coconut cream for milk or half-and-half or both; adjust sugar
Use three eggs or two eggs plus one yolk (for a firmer custard; this pie is pretty soft as is)
Use flour instead of cornstarch
Use frozen, unsweetened coconut instead of dried, sweetened coconut
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, instead of using microwave

Stefanie
07-03-2010, 02:32 AM
It's a shame I don't like coconut (unless it's in a mixed drink ;)) as that recipe looks so easy and you don't even have to turn on the oven!

I am taking peanut butter chocolate squares to my parents' for their 4th of July party, and I have a Three Berry Pie in the oven right now.* Then I am making strawberry cupcakes with a buttercream frosting to take to the two parties I have on Sunday.

* Regarding the pie crust, I am still trying to figure out the "technique" for putting on the aluminum foil strips after it's been baking for 15 minutes (so the crust doesn't burn for the rest of the time) without nearly burning my fingers off in the process. I can't adhere them close enough and then they fly away or get out of position by the time I put them back into the oven. Any advice is welcomed. :)

IceAlisa
07-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Mmmm, coconut! :swoon:

I am invited to a 4th of July BBQ and am instructed to bring a side dish. Seeing as this is going to be an hour drive, I am going to fall back on my sundried tomato and mushroom pasta salad.

acraven
07-03-2010, 02:49 AM
* Regarding the pie crust, I am still trying to figure out the "technique" for putting on the aluminum foil strips after it's been baking for 15 minutes (so the crust doesn't burn for the rest of the time) without nearly burning my fingers off in the process. I can't adhere them close enough and then they fly away or get out of position by the time I put them back into the oven. Any advice is welcomed. :)

I've never done this myself, but my first thought was to form foil strips into a ring around the edge of the empty pie shell, crimping enough to keep them in one piece, then remove until needed. Alternatively, you can buy lightweight (aluminum?) metal arcs intended for this purpose.

Prancer
07-03-2010, 03:29 AM
It's a shame I don't like coconut (unless it's in a mixed drink ;)) as that recipe looks so easy and you don't even have to turn on the oven!

I made a Summer Berry Cheese Pie to try, too, and all that took was a quick two minutes on the stove.

I think the only time I actually bake pies is at Christmas and Thanksgiving. All the rest of the pies I make are no-bake--and really, so are a lot of the ones I make for holidays.

I've never done this myself, but my first thought was to form foil strips into a ring around the edge of the empty pie shell, crimping enough to keep them in one piece, then remove until needed.

That's more or less how I do it.

bobalina77
07-03-2010, 04:21 AM
That sounds like my microplane, which is completely awesome for citrus peel and hard spices, but just glued up with ginger.

Ajax's mention of a hard fibrous core made me think - I guess I'm only supposed to use the outer part of the ginger? That might help - will try next time, but still use the larger-holed box grater.

I found an easier way! I have one of those rotary cheese graters they have at restaurants where you put the cheese in and turn a handle and the cheese comes out the side (like this (http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Classic-Rotary-Cheese-Grater/dp/B000FDZJG2)).. works like a hot damn! Make sure you get one that comes apart though because it still gets stuck in the grater part. I think it's because the warmth of your hand isn't softening it as you're grating.

BigB08822
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I didn't know where to put this question, figured it belonged in here since it is food related.

We went on vacation last week, while there I bought some salsa from a Mexican restaurant because it was so good. It was sold by the jar. I assumed it was jarred and sealed but it turns out they just scooped some into a jar and put on the lid. It was not sealed air tight.

It sat out in our hotel room for a day then took the ride home with us before I realized it wasn't actually sealed air tight. I then stuck it in the fridge. Is it safe to eat today? Obviously there is no meat involved but I would rather be safe then sorry. What would you do?

IceAlisa
07-04-2010, 06:57 PM
The lentil soup turned out divine. Of course I changed the recipe as I usually do and skipped canned tomatoes but it's so :swoon: and perfect for those cold San Francisco summer nights.

Now on to the sundried tomato/mushroom pasta salad for the 4th of July potluck BBQ.

Here's my lentil soup recipe:
Ingredients (TJ=Trader Joe's)

2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 small turnips, diced
1 stalk fennel, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups pre-cooked lentils from TJ
8 cups water
1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teasp cumin
1 tsp TJ Everyday seasoning
kosher sea salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until golden. Add turnip and fennel; cook and stir until tender. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin, everyday seasoning and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
Boil water in a soup pot, add bay leaf stir in lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add vegetables. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts (optional). Stir in balsamic vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.