PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

FiveRinger
06-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Does anybody have any good ideas for fresh fruit? I love berries, peaches, watermelon, etc and got a little overambitious at the store. I want to keep it calorie conscious (save the calories for special occasions). Anything but meringues and whipped cream since I absolutely hate both. Thanks!

Ajax
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Does anybody have any good ideas for fresh fruit? I love berries, peaches, watermelon, etc and got a little overambitious at the store. I want to keep it calorie conscious (save the calories for special occasions). Anything but meringues and whipped cream since I absolutely hate both. Thanks!

A cliche but I love to make fruit salad :) Chop it all up, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and half an orange, add in some chopped fresh mint and eat! Mint goes really well with all summer fruits.

Watermelon is very popular in salads around the Mediterranean: cube it, toss it with sliced red onion, crumbled feta, chopped mint, arugula, olive oil and vinegar.

I also like to just whizz watermelon in the blender with chilled soda water and a little honey/icing sugar. Very refreshing drink in the summer.

You can make a peach salsa to accompany any grilled meat dish, tacos etc. Just toss the chopped peach with cilantro, minced red onion and lime juice.

FiveRinger
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
A cliche but I love to make fruit salad :) Chop it all up, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and half an orange, add in some chopped fresh mint and eat! Mint goes really well with all summer fruits.

Watermelon is very popular in salads around the Mediterranean: cube it, toss it with sliced red onion, crumbled feta, chopped mint, arugula, olive oil and vinegar.

I also like to just whizz watermelon in the blender with chilled soda water and a little honey/icing sugar. Very refreshing drink in the summer.

You can make a peach salsa to accompany any grilled meat dish, tacos etc. Just toss the chopped peach with cilantro, minced red onion and lime juice.

Thanks for the ideas. I am always willing to expand my pallet.

By icing sugar are you referring to powdered sugar? I've never heard of that term.

Jenny
06-22-2010, 02:58 AM
For marinades (especially steak) I'll use pickled ginger. Since my marinade uses vinegar, it takes care of both. I'll also add some powdered McCormick's ginger into the marinade as well. Can you tell I'm not fond of grating fresh ginger? :)

I have powdered ginger, but am finding the fresh stuff makes such a difference. Not big on the jarred stuff - always seems to be a dodgy brand :P

By icing sugar are you referring to powdered sugar? I've never heard of that term.

Often called confectioner's or superfine sugar, depending on where you are. Consistency of flour, so it blends very easily.

skatemommy
06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
OK, so today at the grocery the have these HUGE marshmallows called "Giant Roasters" that are literally the size of an apple. My tweener and her buds love campfire toasting and shur enuf she was so happy about them she took a picture of them and put it on her Facebook for all her friends to see! (a small feather in my cap if I do say for myself as my baby turned tweener gets more sullen each day...sigh) Anyway, so proud of myself for finding this product I'm wondering if I can FREEZE them to have around the rest of the summer and beyond? I've emailed the company but just like that book "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" I feel like "Everything I have questions about gets answered on FSU!" Thanks!

KikiSashaFan
06-24-2010, 03:05 AM
I've never tried those, but I buy bags of regular marshmallows and store them in the freezer year around. They don't get rock hard when frozen, just firmer, which makes them easier to put on sticks when need be.

skatemommy
06-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Kiki, I now love you! My DD said I rock for finding this mammoth marshmallow thing and she said they look like the MM's on Spongebob. The MM's on Spongebob are twice as big as normal and look silly on the sticks. So we rock!

KikiSashaFan
06-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I will admit I don't often roast them, I just throw a few in a bowl and microwave them into goo...:shuffle:

skatemommy
06-24-2010, 03:51 AM
I will admit I don't often roast them, I just throw a few in a bowl and microwave them into goo...:shuffle:

Kiki, here in the Midwest we do cheapskate Smores and use Fudge covered gramham crackers as a base as otherwise 2 many children eating too many chocolate bars can literally turn into disaster with so many kids playing flashlight tag around a "brush" fire. We have fun! Thanks dear!

MOIJTO
06-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Smoothies!

Rex
06-24-2010, 07:14 PM

You can make an ambrosia using nonfat or lowfat yogurt, can't you?

Jenny
06-24-2010, 07:20 PM
oo another idea - what about infusing some vodka to make your own special blends for the summer? And sangria!

Jenny
07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Miso Soup - anyone have a favourite recipe that does not require a fedex from Japan?

IceAlisa
07-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I am going to attempt a lentil soup without the trifecta of onions, carrots and celery. Instead I will have very finely chopped shallots, fennel and rutabaga. Does this sound crazy?

I cannot suffer celery and am not terribly in love with cooked carrots but I do like to crunch them raw.

I will also use spices including cumin, oregano and something else that escapes my memory, stewed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and spinach.

emason
07-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Often called confectioner's or superfine sugar, depending on where you are. Consistency of flour, so it blends very easily.

I'm not sure this is true; where I'm from, superfine sugar is just very finely ground sugar, but confectioner's sugar is sugar and cornstarch. So far as I know there is no cornstarch in superfine sugar.