PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Lanie
06-19-2010, 07:35 AM
I've done the soy sauce/garlic/ginger (and pepper) marinade but I've never tried ketchup or sugar with it! Hmm. It sounds good, though! :)

Tomorrow I am making boeuf bourguignon in the Crock Pot. Bite me, Julia Child, I'm too lazy to cook it the real way. Ha ha.

Japanfan
06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I tried mango salsa out and it was fabulous. The one I made was quite labour intensive as it involved dicing mangoes and cucumber, grating ginger, and finely shredding cilantro. I did have a jalapeno so I used some chili garlic sauce instead. Then added a tablespoon of brown sugar, salt, and pepper.

I'd definitely make this again but would probably simplify the recipe a bit by using pre-grated ginger and maybe bottled lime juice plus the zest of a small lime.

IceAlisa
06-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Tomorrow I am making boeuf bourguignon in the Crock Pot. Bite me, Julia Child, I'm too lazy to cook it the real way. Ha ha.
:lol: Let us know how it turned out.

Rex
06-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a recipe for crock pot lasagna, but am too chicken. For someone who lurves cooking as much as I do, I sure as hell am not ambitious about it. Mainly 'cause there is no one to cook for. When I was with my ex, I cooked for him and our friends all the time - got a high from preparing a good dinner and getting the compliments from everyone.

Anita18
06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Whole Foods has reportedly taken kombucha off of its shelves. This is bad news for my bf, who drinks it every day when he's here visiting.

I said, "You know what this means - we'll have to make our own!"

My sister accused me of being a hipster, since I already make my own bread and yogurt and grow my own vegetables. "I bet you want to raise chickens too."

"I would if we didn't have stray cats."

"My point is made."

:rofl:

Rex
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
^^^^ So long as you don't wear those dumb hats or those awful skinny jeans, you are fine.

IceAlisa
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
My husband wants to raise chickens. :eek: He wants the fresh eggs and for the chickens to eat all the bugs in the garden but I don't want an additional headache in my life.

Last weekend we even took Mini Ice to the specialty feed store to look at chicks and ducklings. He was beside himself. :) But I am still not crazy about the idea.

Anita18
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
My husband wants to raise chickens. :eek: He wants the fresh eggs and for the chickens to eat all the bugs in the garden but I don't want an additional headache in my life.

Last weekend we even took Mini Ice to the specialty feed store to look at chicks and ducklings. He was beside himself. :) But I am still not crazy about the idea.
I raised 30 quail for my senior thesis. I think 2 or 3 hens will be a walk in the park, especially considering it's the MALES that want to kill each other. :P

But yeah, the hardest part was cleaning the poop of 30 quail (never was more thankful to have a bad sense of smell), feeding the males (because they are aggressive), and making regulation-worthy cages. If you're going to raise them in the yard and have less than 5, I think it would be pretty easy.

skatemommy
06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Whole Foods has reportedly taken kombucha off of its shelves. This is bad news for my bf, who drinks it every day when he's here visiting.

I said, "You know what this means - we'll have to make our own!"

Anita, are you really going to do this? I love Kombucha but can't stand the price. Please let us know how and when you do!

Jenny
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
One thing I learned is that it's a lot easier to peel ginger than I thought. I thought the skin was much thicker! We have a bunch that we keep in our freezer (a tip I picked up from watching The Food Network lol!) so we have it when we need it.

How does everyone prepare their ginger? I have been using it a lot lately, but am finding it cumbersome to prepare. The peeling is easy; it's the grating.

Several recipes I've tried have said to "finely grate" but when I use my microplane or the small holes in my box grater, most of the ginger ends up stuck in the holes. Using the large holes of the box grater worked for a recipe where it could "melt" in, but I need to find a way to really pulverize it.

Have also tried my Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker (which is awesome for garlic and large spices), and a mortar and pestle, but the fibres of the ginger get in the way.

Help!

Ajax
06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
How does everyone prepare their ginger? I have been using it a lot lately, but am finding it cumbersome to prepare. The peeling is easy; it's the grating.

I grate and freeze large amounts of ginger at a time (I've done 1/2 lb all at once!) Peel it by rubbing the flat side of a knife against the skin. Grate it all on the medium sized holes of a box grater. I usually just throw away the tough core rather than trying to grate it, it's too fibrous. Then I lay out a sheet of plastic wrap, form the grated ginger into a log on it, wrap it up and throw it in the freezer.

When I need to use some, I take it out of the freezer for 5 min, cut off a chunk from the end and throw the rest back into the freezer. If you need it very finely minced, you can mince the chunk while it's still half-frozen - the fibres will be brittle and easily cut.

ETA: Only problem with this method is that the ginger ends up a bit watery because of the ginger juices also freeze... so it splatters a bit if you toss it in hot oil after defrosting - make sure you stand back! :)

bobalina77
06-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Several recipes I've tried have said to "finely grate" but when I use my microplane or the small holes in my box grater, most of the ginger ends up stuck in the holes. Using the large holes of the box grater worked for a recipe where it could "melt" in, but I need to find a way to really pulverize it.

Have also tried my Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker (which is awesome for garlic and large spices), and a mortar and pestle, but the fibres of the ginger get in the way.

Help!

I was having the same problem. We have some in the freezer that we take out when we need it but when I grate it just sticks so I feel like I'm wasting a bunch. I don't grate it before I freeze it though. I was noticing on Tv they usually use a stick type grater (is that what you mean by microplane?) and they just tap it on the side of the bowl and most of it comes off. I was thinking of investing in one of those maybe.

Jenny
06-21-2010, 07:44 PM
That sounds like my microplane, which is completely awesome for citrus peel and hard spices, but just glued up with ginger.

Ajax's mention of a hard fibrous core made me think - I guess I'm only supposed to use the outer part of the ginger? That might help - will try next time, but still use the larger-holed box grater.

Ajax
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Ajax's mention of a hard fibrous core made me think - I guess I'm only supposed to use the outer part of the ginger? That might help - will try next time, but still use the larger-holed box grater.

From what I know the core is supposed to be discarded - too fibrous to eat. I save the cores in the freezer and use them to infuse teas, soups, syrups etc.

skatemommy
06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
For marinades (especially steak) I'll use pickled ginger. Since my marinade uses vinegar, it takes care of both. I'll also add some powdered McCormick's ginger into the marinade as well. Can you tell I'm not fond of grating fresh ginger? :)