PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jenny
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Sounds good! Speaking of pork, if you're like me and love breakfast sausage but are suspicious of dodgy processing and ingredients, here's a homemade version that's super easy and tastes like store bought/restaurant: Saveur's Breakfast Sausages (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Breakfast-Sausage-Patties).

shan
06-17-2010, 05:37 PM
lemon-dijon string beans

That sounds yummy! :)

Allskate
06-17-2010, 08:03 PM
That sounds yummy! :)

Yeah. I'd love the recipe for the lemon-dijon string beans.

Stefanie
06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Yeah. I'd love the recipe for the lemon-dijon string beans.

Just take a 1 lb. of fresh or frozen string beans and cook them in 2 tbsp. of margarine/butter on the stove. Once they are tender, mix in 2 tbsp. lemon juice and tbsp. dijon mustard. Add in 1/4 teaspoon dill weed. Mix thoroughly until heated through. Then top with toasted slivered almonds. (I used store bought sliced honey almonds--found in the produce area). I hope you will like it! :) I think it gives ordinary string beans a little bit of a kick. If you're not too found of dijon mustard, you could just add in one tbsp. of it.

altai_rose
06-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I made carottes au cumin yesterday (carrots with cumin) and I think I ate way too many. I hope I don't turn orange....:shuffle:

Christina
06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
I made these parmesan-crusted porkchops (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/parmesan-crusted-pork-chops-recipe/index.html) last night. I highly recommend this recipe--the chops were so moist and they were so easy to make. I fried them first, and then put them in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes because my chops were pretty thick. I will say that next time I make them I might dip them in the egg and breadcrumbs twice. And some of the batter did come off when I used tongs to transfer them from the pan to the baking sheet.

I served them with lemon-dijon string beans and couscous. It was a good meal. :)

I don't know if it works with pork chops, but when I do this with chicken, I coat in seasoned flour, then egg and then the breadcrumbs. It seems to make the coating stick on better.

IceAlisa
06-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Just take a 1 lb. of fresh or frozen string beans and cook them in 2 tbsp. of margarine/butter on the stove. Once they are tender, mix in 2 tbsp. lemon juice and tbsp. dijon mustard. Add in 1/4 teaspoon dill weed. Mix thoroughly until heated through. Then top with toasted slivered almonds. (I used store bought sliced honey almonds--found in the produce area). I hope you will like it! :) I think it gives ordinary string beans a little bit of a kick. If you're not too found of dijon mustard, you could just add in one tbsp. of it.

Thanks, I am going to try this. :)

Anita18
06-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I made carottes au cumin yesterday (carrots with cumin) and I think I ate way too many. I hope I don't turn orange....:shuffle:
Ooh that sounds good. Recipe?

I still have multiple bags of baby carrots that I don't know what to do with. My boss keeps bringing them in for lab meeting snacks but nobody ever finishes them so I always end up bringing them home! :lol:

altai_rose
06-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Ooh that sounds good. Recipe?

I still have multiple bags of baby carrots that I don't know what to do with. My boss keeps bringing them in for lab meeting snacks but nobody ever finishes them so I always end up bringing them home! :lol:
It's a really simple! All I did was coat carrots with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin and roast them in a 400 deg. oven for 25 min. But if you want it a little fancier, you could try this (http://www.latartinegourmande.com/2007/02/28/gingered-carrots-with-cumin-and-basil-carottes-au-gingembre-cumin-et-basilic/) or this (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/08/roasted-carrot-and-avocado-salad/).

BigB08822
06-18-2010, 03:51 AM
My boyfriend and his Mother made an amazing meal the other night. They made chicken in a lemon butter caper sauce. The chicken was just breasts lightly floured and cooked in a little olive oil. The sauce was white wine and lemon juice reduced by half and then a stick of butter vigorously stirred in, add in capers and voila! They also sauteed some mushrooms to add to the sauce. It was soooo good.

Ajax
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Make soup! Saute a chopped onion and plenty of fresh grated ginger in olive oil, add in whatever amount of carrot you have as well as a cubed medium-sized potato and enough water to just cover the veggies. Simmer until veggies are soft. While it's simmering, toast, cool and grind 1 tbsp of coriander seeds (you can also use cumin, a mixture of the two or a smaller amount of garam masala). Add the spices, blend to smooth, season and enjoy! :)

Jenny
06-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Another carrot idea, also with Indian flavours: coarsely shred the carrots, add a bit of thinly sliced celery and chopped pecans, then dress with a bit of mango chutney mixed into mayo, plus some pepper. Really refreshing!

skatemommy
06-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Jenny, can I hire you as my personal chef? :) I would rather have a chef than a maid or a chauffeur!

IceAlisa
06-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Made red quinoa with shitake and crimini mushrooms (fried in light olive oil with a little finely chopped onions and a clove of crushed garlic) plus grilled zucchini marinated in white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, kosher sea salt and crushed garlic. Will add grilled chicken and mango sausages and dinner is ready!

Watermelon for dessert.

bobalina77
06-19-2010, 05:22 AM
We made shish kabobs the other night with steak and red, yellow and green peppers. We marinated everything in soya sauce, ketchup, sugar, garlic powder and fresh ginger for a couple of hours and threw them on the bbq.. omg they were so good! I think we'll be using that marinade for our steaks from now on.

One thing I learned is that it's a lot easier to peel ginger than I thought. I thought the skin was much thicker! We have a bunch that we keep in our freezer (a tip I picked up from watching The Food Network lol!) so we have it when we need it.