PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Ajax
06-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't know the answer to this but I wanted to share that I tried a recipe for muffins the other day, where you mixed two cups rich vanilla ice cream and two cups self-rising flower, put into muffin tins (12), and baked at (IIRC) 425 for 25 minutes or so.

That is the strangest recipe I've ever heard :) It does sound like it'd be doughy, maybe add some extra baking powder or something?

Debbie S
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Can anyone recommend a good cooking spray (the non-stick variety) that won't leave a sticky residue on cooking dishes (specifically Corningware) that takes forever to scrub off? I've been using some store brand stuff and it's driving me crazy.

Lanie
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I need to figure out what to do for dinner. We have a pork loin, two Cornish hens, some chicken breasts, and pork chops... Mr Lanie wants roast Cornish hens but I really don't feel like dealing with that right now!

Jenny
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Can anyone recommend a good cooking spray (the non-stick variety) that won't leave a sticky residue on cooking dishes (specifically Corningware) that takes forever to scrub off? I've been using some store brand stuff and it's driving me crazy.

I don't use cooking spray, but if it's the scrubbing that's driving you nuts, you may wish to invest in some heavy duty coated cast iron cookware, ie. Le Creuset. Expensive, but will last a lifetime, and clean like a dream!

I need to figure out what to do for dinner. We have a pork loin, two Cornish hens, some chicken breasts, and pork chops... Mr Lanie wants roast Cornish hens but I really don't feel like dealing with that right now!

I'm not sure how fancy you want to get, but here are two ideas:

For the pork loin, here is a jerk recipe with pineapple salsa that we made last week - lots of ingredients, but a good result: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/jerk-pork-tenderloin-with-pineapple-salsa

For the pork chops, my old tried-and-true-guaranteed-to-make-a-man-happy is pork chops and rice with mushroom gravy:

Brown the chops, add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (only add water if you want to thin it a bit), cook until done. Serve over plain rice with tons of black pepper. Hubby's favourite on the side is peas, but of course you can do just about anything. To go a bit fancier/homemade, instead of the soup make a simple sauce by removing the chops when almost cooked, sauteing mushrooms in the pork fat, adding cream and maybe a little butter and/or nutmeg and/or fresh parsley, and returning the chops to the pan to finish. Lots of pepper.

Another pork recipe we've been doing for years originally appeared in a Canadian Living cookbook - pork with cheesy dijon topping:

Brown the chops or other cut of pork until almost done. In a bowl, mix shredded gruyere with a bit of dijon (to taste - it should come together as a paste). Spread on the chops and broil until bubbly. We've found this makes even chewy chops more juicy. The recipe recommends a broiled tomato on the side, and it does work nicely - just slice a tomato in half, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and broil alongside the chops.

Tell him he can have the cornish hens on a weekend when you have more time to find a good recipe :)

Veronika
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have a good recipe for chimichurri? I'd like to use it as a marinade for steak. :) Thanks in advance.

sk8pics
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
That is the strangest recipe I've ever heard :) It does sound like it'd be doughy, maybe add some extra baking powder or something?

Yes, it is odd! The muffins actually kind of grew on me and I think that was chiefly because of the taste of the vanilla ice cream I used. Definitely use good quality ice cream. I thought maybe we beat it too much, but who knows. I may try again some time.... I think there were instructions also to make a "richer" muffin that involved cutting back on the flour and using an egg. We'll see.

michiruwater
06-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Debbie S, I always use some kind of olive oil cooking spray. Meijer has it, as does Kroger, I believe.

Cupid
06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I made the Paula Dean Almond Pound Cake and frosting mentioned in this thread. It came out very nice. I used the Tube Pan, but probably easier to use a Bundt Pan as well.

Does anyone have any cake frosting tips? When I put the frosting onto the cooled cake, it just doesn't look "professional" like a store-bought one or one from a bakery. I use a butter knife and put the frosting on top first, then the sides, which is kind of difficult to spread evenly. I place wax paper strips under the edges of the cake so the dish stays clean, but what can I do to make the cake prettier?

Stefanie
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I made the Paula Dean Almond Pound Cake and frosting mentioned in this thread. It came out very nice. I used the Tube Pan, but probably easier to use a Bundt Pan as well.

Does anyone have any cake frosting tips? When I put the frosting onto the cooled cake, it just doesn't look "professional" like a store-bought one or one from a bakery. I use a butter knife and put the frosting on top first, then the sides, which is kind of difficult to spread evenly. I place wax paper strips under the edges of the cake so the dish stays clean, but what can I do to make the cake prettier?

I also made this cake, and it was delicious. :) I made an almond-cream cheese frosting to go with it. I didn't butter my tube pan as well I could have, though, as some of the cake got stuck to the bottom of the pan. Fortunately, I corrected my mistake by putting more icing in the missing cake. :) I don't know what possessed me to actually use a stick of butter to coat the pan instead of the baking spray. The baking spray covers more.

Cupid
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I also made this cake, and it was delicious. :) I made an almond-cream cheese frosting to go with it. I didn't butter my tube pan as well I could have, though, as some of the cake got stuck to the bottom of the pan. Fortunately, I corrected my mistake by putting more icing in the missing cake. :) I don't know what possessed me to actually use a stick of butter to coat the pan instead of the baking spray. The baking spray covers more.

I use the solid white Crisco shortening in a can, then I floured the pan, as well as made a parchment paper cutout placed on the bottom of the pan and greased and floured that also. Kind of tricky to cut out the hole. The cake did not stick at all! I've always understood not to use cooking spray on pans because it will leave an ugly residue on the pan.

How did you frost your cake?

bobalina77
06-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I just got a Bundt pan from my mom on Saturday.. I'm so excited to use it!

Stefanie
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
How did you frost your cake?

Like you did, using a butterknife. I need to buy one of those icing spreaders to make it a little easier. I just use the knife and kind of swirl the frosting around, trying to make it look presentable. :lol: I'm not sure how you'd frost a bundt pan as it has those indentations in it.

bobalina77
06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I think most people just use a glaze on a bundt cake. That way you just have to drizzle it on.

Stefanie
06-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I think most people just use a glaze on a bundt cake. That way you just have to drizzle it on.

That makes sense. I also didn't use a bundt pan for this cake because I was using a cream cheese icing and I don't think that would melt/drizzle well. But what do I know? :lol: I'm still a novice at this stuff.

Stefanie
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I made these parmesan-crusted porkchops (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/parmesan-crusted-pork-chops-recipe/index.html) last night. I highly recommend this recipe--the chops were so moist and they were so easy to make. I fried them first, and then put them in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes because my chops were pretty thick. I will say that next time I make them I might dip them in the egg and breadcrumbs twice. And some of the batter did come off when I used tongs to transfer them from the pan to the baking sheet.

I served them with lemon-dijon string beans and couscous. It was a good meal. :)