PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jenny
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
It would have been perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, but we didn't have any.

Another use for your stand mixer: homemade whipped cream! Just use the wire whisk on standard whipping cream, add sugar if you want, and voila.

bobalina77
05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah I make whipped cream all the time. I didn't think to get the stuff for it when we were shopping though. I usually put a bit of vanilla and a little bit of sugar in my whipped cream.

IceAlisa
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I found out the hard way. I used to belong to this online forum for naturopathic medicine, and the doctor insisted that peppermint and spearmint were good for heartburn. No, not really. Don't get me started on naturopaths--one of them recommended drinking vinegar for GERD. :scream: Lets see, vinegar is an acid, the problem is called ACID reflux disease, lets just stoke that fire, shall we? Ugh.

On a lighter note, I made a delish recipe from Food & Wine for brunch yesterday - Southern Crab Hash.

Yum!

Rex
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't get me started on naturopaths--one of them recommended drinking vinegar for GERD. :scream: Lets see, vinegar is an acid, the problem is called ACID reflux disease, lets just stoke that fire, shall we? Ugh. Yup. It's insanity. I get GERD often (being a coffee drinker/spicy food lover doesn't help), but this website (sprung from a book) suggested lots of crazy shite like that.

Yum!
Drool on...here's a link to the recipe (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/southern-crab-hash).

If I had to do it over, I'd let my bacon get crispier. But I was rushing as usual. But I lurve the taste - I added some Old Bay on my own.

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Rex, as a preventive measure, try eating a small piece of bread or a cracker with your coffee/spicy/acidic foods. It will sponge up some of the acid.

Does anyone know of a delicious way to serve canned sardines? I have a bunch of boneless, skinless type from where else? Trader Joe's. I am thinking of putting them on multigrain crostini but what else would go on it and do you have any other ideas on the topic?

OK, Googling yielded this recipe that sounds quite good: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sherried-sardine-toast-recipe/index.html

Rex
05-11-2010, 02:17 AM
^^^I always eat sardines with mustard and crackers; can't imagine eating them any other way. I prefer the ones packed in oil.

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 03:31 AM
^^^I always eat sardines with mustard and crackers; can't imagine eating them any other way. I prefer the ones packed in oil.

I prefer them in oil too. So just sardines with a bit of mustard on a cracker? What kind of mustard?

Christina
05-11-2010, 03:47 AM
I prefer them in oil too. So just sardines with a bit of mustard on a cracker? What kind of mustard?

Ah memories....my Dad used to eat sardines on a saltine cracker with yellow mustard. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen, but he loved it.

genevieve
05-11-2010, 03:49 AM
My new baking project is savory muffins. For some reason, none of my many cookbooks have anything on them, and it was harder than I expected to find something on the internet. 90% of the recipies that jump out are with bacon. And while I like bacon, I don't want it in a muffin. Tonight I'm making my first batch - spinach/feta/tomato and roasted red pepper/onion/parsley/cheddar. We'll see how it goes.

Of course, "from scratch" snob me is trying to roast a pepper in a very different way than I was taught when working for a caterer and it's taking an annoying amount of time :drama:

ETA: the first batch just came out and they are fab :swoon: :)

KikiSashaFan
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Sardines? :yikes::scream::yikes::scream: I'd take celery and mint together over that :P

Jenny
05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Tonight I'm making my first batch - spinach/feta/tomato and roasted red pepper/onion/parsley/cheddar.

Of course, "from scratch" snob me is trying to roast a pepper in a very different way than I was taught when working for a caterer and it's taking an annoying amount of time :drama:

ETA: the first batch just came out and they are fab :swoon: :)

YUM! I'm having flashbacks to the Dean & Deluca muffins with spinach and cheddar :swoon:.

How are you roasting red pepper? It does take a few minutes, but if you start them first while you prepare everything else, it's not a big deal I find.

I slice them in strips, broil until blackened, seal in a ziplock for a few minutes, then slide off the skins, done.

A friend just mentioned that she buys a huge amount of peppers at harvest time, roasts them all and preserves them in olive oil for use the rest of the year. Mind you, she has an enormous pantry!

Stefanie
05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I made apple-and-sage porkchops last night. I found the recipe from McCormick. My parents and I loved them. :) I even have a porkchop left over to eat for lunch today.

skaternum
05-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I love Trader Joe's almond butter with toasted flaxseed but am running out of ways to eat it. I've had it plain, on whole wheat toast, am going to try on pear slices tomorrow. I've read you can add a teaspoon into oatmeal. Any other suggestions?

Oh and no celery, please. :shuffle:

Try it in a balsamic vinaigrette, with a little cilantro, soy sauce and red chili, and use as a yummy salad dressing.

Rex
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Ah memories....my Dad used to eat sardines on a saltine cracker with yellow mustard. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen, but he loved it.

Yeah. Just plain mustard. Sometimes they come packed in mustard, and I really don't like those; the mustard is usually too watery and bland for me.

I can even eat sardines by themselves - right outta the can. It's a great low-carb snack, but I love them more with saltines.

Allskate
05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
A friend just mentioned that she buys a huge amount of peppers at harvest time, roasts them all and preserves them in olive oil for use the rest of the year. Mind you, she has an enormous pantry!

It's a smart idea. It can be hard finding red peppers, especially organic ones, and red peppers have more pesticides on them than most vegetables. I just stocked up on a bunch of jars of organic red peppers simply because they were on the store shelf and I can never find them when I want them. If I were more industrious, I'd roast and preserve them myself.

Does anyone know of a delicious way to serve canned sardines? I have a bunch of boneless, skinless type from where else? Trader Joe's.

I have the exact same issue. :lol: I bought them because they are a cheap way to get omega 3s and vitamin B12, but I don't know what to do with them. I do use a lot of the TJs anchovies, though.