PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks, succubus.

I found an intriguing chicken salad on Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Curried-Chicken-Salad-106566

I would love to make this minus the grapes. I don't like grapes in chicken salads. And may be swap out cashews for slivered almonds.

Rex
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
^^^This. I love grapes, but not in my poultry or seafood salads.

Japanfan
05-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I made an amazing potato/cheese/beer soup. I guessed at the proportions as I went along and it was pretty easy to improvise. You can use more or less potatoes and add flour to thicken at the end if it is too thin. I used so many potatoes that it was perfectly thick and didn't need flour - it would be equally good either way.

Cut up five-eight medium sized potatoes and cook in a pot with 2 cups vegetable broth/2 cups lager and several tablespoons chopped onion. Bring to a boil then simmer until cooked. Add salt and paper to taste, then blend in a food processor or blender.

Return soup to the pot and add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sharp cheese or smoked cheese. I used sharp cheddar and a teaspoon of smoke flavouring and it was delicious. Before serving I added some croutons and garlic chives to each bowl.

If the soup is too thin you can add cream and thicken with flour.

IceAlisa
05-02-2010, 01:38 AM
^^^This. I love grapes, but not in my poultry or seafood salads.

I know, right? Who came up with that? :rolleyes:

sk8pics
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I made an amazing potato/cheese/beer soup. I guessed at the proportions as I went along and it was pretty easy to improvise. You can use more or less potatoes and add flour to thicken at the end if it is too thin. I used so many potatoes that it was perfectly thick and didn't need flour - it would be equally good either way.

Cut up five-eight medium sized potatoes and cook in a pot with 2 cups vegetable broth/2 cups lager and several tablespoons chopped onion. Bring to a boil then simmer until cooked. Add salt and paper to taste, then blend in a food processor or blender.

Return soup to the pot and add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sharp cheese or smoked cheese. I used sharp cheddar and a teaspoon of smoke flavouring and it was delicious. Before serving I added some croutons and garlic chives to each bowl.

If the soup is too thin you can add cream and thicken with flour.
This is similar to a weight watchers recipe I posted earlier. Use fat free half & half in place of any cream and it is very good but not bad for you.

Jenny
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
I am really sick so I made myself my grandmother's 'sick soup' as she used to call it - fancier people call it 'stracciatella'. It was oh so comforting...

I'm sorry you've been sick, but glad you had the energy to post this recipe :)

I am looking for a chicken salad recipe that doesn't involve celery. Suggestions for celery substitutes are greatly appreciated.

Pshaw - celery is my favourite vegetable! But for you, how about coronation chicken salad? It's an Anglo-Indian version often served on white bread with tea. Mayo, raisins, curry powder to taste, plus if you like, apples and onions. I just had a version recently that also had slivered almonds. I'd add celery too, but that's just me. :P

oleada
05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Jenny, that sounds really similar to the one my mother and I make, minus the raisins. It's really good. We both hate celery as well, IceAlisa.

IceAlisa
05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
That sounds good, Jenny. I know a deli here in San Francisco that serves that in a sandwich and I always get it when I come in.

To me celery is just too overwhelming. It completely dominates every dish and makes it unbalanced IMO. I even use sautéed fennel in Thanksgiving stuffing instead of celery and it's :swoon:

KikiSashaFan
05-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I hate celery in stuff, but all alone with some peanut butter it's pretty good.

IceAlisa
05-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I hate celery in stuff, but all alone with some peanut butter it's pretty good.

Peanut butter and celery are too things I never learned to like. So much for my Americanization! :lol:

Jenny
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
To me celery is just too overwhelming. It completely dominates every dish and makes it unbalanced IMO. I even use sautéed fennel in Thanksgiving stuffing instead of celery and it's :swoon:

I started adding fennel this year too :)

Cupid
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Speaking of celery, a friend once said celery (and onion) was a total waste of space in food. I think it gives food a savory flavor. I like it in chicken salad for the texture.

Jenny
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
According to some, celery is negative calories, because you actually expend more washing, chopped and chewing it than it has :)

I find celery very versatile - a good snack with dip or a spread, a key component of basic carrot/onion/celery medleys as the basis of other dishes, crunchy in salads, and also lovely cooked al dente or even as a casserole covered in cheese sauce. The leaves tend to be ignored, but they have a different flavour and make a nice addition to all kinds of salads.

Allskate
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Pshaw - celery is my favourite vegetable! But for you, how about coronation chicken salad? It's an Anglo-Indian version often served on white bread with tea. Mayo, raisins, curry powder to taste, plus if you like, apples and onions. I just had a version recently that also had slivered almonds. I'd add celery too, but that's just me. :P

I make something like this, but with celery instead of onions. :lol: Onions are what usually ruin a salad for me. (Onions and cilantro are two of the things that most turn me off of a dish when I'm looking at a menu.) And I substitute a little yogurt for some of the mayo.

I love celery in chicken salad. Tarragon chicken salad is great with celery, but you probably could substitute apples for the celery and it would be really good, too.

Rex
05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I know, right? Who came up with that? :rolleyes:

Apparently, it does exist. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicken-waldorf-salad-recipe/index.html)

However, I don't mind a plain Waldorf salad. I abstain from mixing meats (fish, poultry, beef, pork and lamb) and fruits most of the time. For me, it's really difficult to pull off. I don't even like pineapple on my ham.