PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
04-29-2010, 06:36 AM
I made cream of asparagus soup this morning.. so yummy! In the process of getting a roast ready for beef dip tonight.

Would you mind sharing this recipe, I could use my immersion blender...

Stefanie
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I made caprese salad and chicken florentine with linguini last night. :) The only thing I would change is the cut of the chicken breasts I used.

Stefanie
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I tried out one of my pizza ideas last night and it was really good! Mix of provolone and mozzarella cheeses, carmelized onion, bacon, and roasted red peppers. It was great!:cool:

I made a pizza on Monday night and it was mushroom-and-onion. It turned out very well; I was quite impressed with myself! Well, I did use store-bought crust so I'm hoping to make my own dough next time. But the taste was good overall and I didn't feel as heavy as I usually do after eating delivery pizza.

Ajax
04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
We got an immersion blender today!! :cheer: It was only $30 at Sur La Table. I kind of wonder if it has any power, I thought they were a lot more money than $30. It is a Cuisinart so I know the brand is reliable. Well, if it doesn't work well then at least it was cheap. Now, what to make with it...

BigB08822, you can make tons of things with an immersion blender, I consider one of the best kitchen investments I've ever made :) And mine was a cheap model from Target! You can of course blend any soup right in the pot which is way more convenient than using a traditional blender. You can make pesto and similar sauces with it provided you put the ingredients into a not-too-big bowl.

But my favorite use for immersion blenders is homemade mayo: Crack an egg, the fresher the better, into a tall glass or beaker. Add a squirt of Dijon mustard and lemon juice and a 1/4 tsp salt. Let everything come to room temperature, then pour in 1 cup canola oil (olive oil turns bitter with the heat of the blender). Put the immersion blender in the cup all the way to the bottom, turn it on, blend for a few seconds until you see it start to emulsify and slooooowly move it upwards until all the oil is emulsified.

Beats Hellman's by a country mile! :) You can also doctor it up with garlic, smoked paprika, curry powder...

Cupid
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Quick tip about immersion blenders: Don't raise the blade area out of the liquid even the slightest bit while it's running - you'll have a mess!:lol:

bobalina77
04-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Creme of asparagus soup

2 lbs green asparagus
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon lime juice

Cut tips from 12 asparagus 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. reserv for garnish

cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces

cook onion in 2 tbsp butter in a 4 quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 mins.

While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 5 mins, then drain.

Puree soup until smooth and return to pan. Stir in cream then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tbsp of butter.

Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.

bobalina77
04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Boyfriend bought most of the stuff for the cake yesterday.. I think he's just as excited about it as I am :lol: I said that to him last night and he's like "I'm a guy.. I like building things. You'll notice I have no suggestions for the baking part cause I know nothing about baking.. but structural stuff I can do!"

So we'll be spending Sunday afternoon putting together a pink castle cake for my niece :lol:

succubus
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I am really sick so I made myself my grandmother's 'sick soup' as she used to call it - fancier people call it 'stracciatella'. It was oh so comforting...

For 1:

3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp dried parsley
little bit of salt & pepper

bring to boil - add 1/3 cup orzo pasta (or any other small pasta)
cook for 10 minutes

beat 1 egg in a cup, then drizzle into boiling soup - stir for 1 minute (it will look like Chinese egg drop soup)

add 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano reggiano or romano cheese

Eat, sigh, and go to bed ;)

barbk
05-01-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm having a housewarming party in May, and I am working on a menu. I have my appetizers and desserts planned out, but I am struggling with a main course. I have about 15 people who have RSVP'ed "yes" so far, so this obviously isn't a sit-down dinner type of party, but I don't want it to just be finger foods either. The party will begin at 2pm so I figure people will munch on appetizers for an hour or so, and then I can serve a main course.

Pulled pork takes hours to cook on low in the oven, but it is a great make-ahead. Do it, then have nice little rolls available and some condiments (you could go either Mexican or BBQ) and I pretty much promise that people will be very happy unless you have guests who don't eat pork.

People seem to come and go at housewarmings -- I wouldn't be too sure that everyone will get there at opening time and necessarily be there when you're ready to serve the main course. (Of course, it may also be the kind of party where people are having such a good time that they don't leave, even when you're desperately tired.)

barbk
05-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Boyfriend bought most of the stuff for the cake yesterday.. I think he's just as excited about it as I am :lol: I said that to him last night and he's like "I'm a guy.. I like building things. You'll notice I have no suggestions for the baking part cause I know nothing about baking.. but structural stuff I can do!"

So we'll be spending Sunday afternoon putting together a pink castle cake for my niece :lol:

That's so cute. And so true about the guys -- one engineer friend of mine re-engineered a piece of a 3-D puzzle (with a knife) when it didn't fit the way he wanted it to.

bobalina77
05-01-2010, 04:40 AM
He was so excited to show me what he got haha. He even got little candles that look like sparkly magic wands. He's gonna be such a great dad :)

barbk
05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
He was so excited to show me what he got haha. He even got little candles that look like sparkly magic wands. He's gonna be such a great dad :)

He sounds like a great guy!

Can you share where he got the little candles that look like magic wands? My nieces would LOVE them.

bobalina77
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure where he got them.. I think it was just at a grocery store. I'm looking to see if I can find them online but no luck yet. I'll take pictures of the cake if it turns out okay haha.

IceAlisa
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I am looking for a chicken salad recipe that doesn't involve celery. Suggestions for celery substitutes are greatly appreciated.

succubus
05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I am looking for a chicken salad recipe that doesn't involve celery. Suggestions for celery substitutes are greatly appreciated.

You can add chopped shallots for an oniony flavor, or you can add slivered almonds or chopped walnuts for crunch.