PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Fish definitely should not be kept in an acidic marinade any longer than an hour or so. Acids break down the enzymes and sort of "cook" the fish (in fact that's how ceviches are made) so if you leave the acid on too long all the bonds in the fish will break down and you'll end up with mush.

Thanks, Ajax! You've described this perfectly--I definitely had a lot of mush and even threw away some of the mangled fish. I will definitely not make that mistake again (and even though the fish was frozen, it still cost me $11.99 for 2lbs; I still have 2 fillets left for next time).

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I have another dumb question. I bought a ceramic teapot when I was in Germany last, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can boil water in it on the stovetop. I asked the store clerk when I buoght it and she said I could, but my German is not the best so I just want to make sure nothing got lost in translation. For some reason I can't help but picture the pot exploding as it gets to boiling, but perhaps it can withstand the temperature. And, before you ask, I've already checked for anything written at the bottom that might indicate that you can use it to boil water--it doesn't say anything. Then again, what is the point of having a ceramic teapot if you can't use it to boil water for tea? Is the intent to boil it in a "regular" tea kettle and then transport it to the ceramic one just to be used for decorative purposes?

I'm glad FSU is here when I have questions like this because I don't have to feel embarrassed about asking this question in person...and people can make fun of me and I am not aware of it. :lol:

bobalina77
04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I boil the water in a kettle and then transfer it into the teapot with the tea bag to steep. A teapot and a kettle are two completely different things. The teapot is just to hold the tea.

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I boil the water in a kettle and then transfer it into the teapot with the tea bag to steep. A teapot and a kettle are two completely different things. The teapot is just to hold the tea.

Thanks. Duh. :wall::wall::wall: I could have answered my own question!

bobalina77
04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Haha that's okay. I had a major duh moment today too.. made a cake and I don't think it was quite cooled yet cause when I tried to take it out of the pan it completely fell apart :lol: So plan b is to cut it up into chunks and make some chocolate and vanilla pudding and some whipped cream to turn it into parfaits. Dessert for Sunday dinner with our parents.. I just need some cool tall glasses to put it in.. hmmm.

So I have dessert under control.. now to figure out what to make for dinner.

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Haha that's okay. I had a major duh moment today too.. made a cake and I don't think it was quite cooled yet cause when I tried to take it out of the pan it completely fell apart :lol: So plan b is to cut it up into chunks and make some chocolate and vanilla pudding and some whipped cream to turn it into parfaits. Dessert for Sunday dinner with our parents.. I just need some cool tall glasses to put it in.. hmmm.

I've also heard of these things called "Cake Truffles" where you use crumbled cake and mix it with cream cheese icing into little balls and then dip the balls in melted chocolate.

luenatic
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I got the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution cookbook couple weeks ago. I made several dishes from the book. They're really not too bad. Except I really have to 'modify' the recipes to cut down on fat. One thing for sure, he's not all about eating lettuce. He's a heavy cream, butter and bacon kind of guy.

Ajax
04-23-2010, 01:31 AM
I have another dumb question. I bought a ceramic teapot when I was in Germany last, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can boil water in it on the stovetop.

Ceramic, porcelain, glass, all will crack on the stovetop. I found this out the hard way when I took a pie baked in a brand new dish out of the oven and put it on the stovetop to cool, not realizing I'd forgotten to turn off the stove earlier :D

bobalina77
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Boyfriend made some yummy corn chowder last night for me to take to work today. I love having a boyfriend who likes to cook :lol:

skatemommy
04-24-2010, 03:05 AM
:nopryde:

I would call that Trifle

bobalina77
04-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah it's sort of an easy version of trifle I guess. Trifle usually has some sort of liquer like Brandy or something in it doesn't it? And usually uses pound cake and real custard and fruit?

I guess these are like Trifle's cheap cousin :lol:

I just bought champagne glasses the other day.. I guess those would work as dishes.

sk8pics
04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm having a housewarming party in May, and I am working on a menu. I have my appetizers and desserts planned out, but I am struggling with a main course. I have about 15 people who have RSVP'ed "yes" so far, so this obviously isn't a sit-down dinner type of party, but I don't want it to just be finger foods either.
When I had my housewarming party last year, I had about 35 people come throughout the afternoon. I made chili ahead of time and then put it in a crockpot, and periodically added more to it as the afternoon went on. Also made egg salad sandwiches, as I had a few guests who are vegetarians. Also a black bean and pepper cold salad. People loved the chili. It was the biggest batch of chili I ever made in my life! I cooked about 6 pounds of meat!

My next project is a dinner for about 8 this coming Thursday evening. I have to work all day, and I'm busy the day before, too, so dinner has to be quick. I think I am going to make a couple of pizzas. One will be a white pizza with carmelized onion, bacon, and roasted red peppers. The other will be tomato and broccoli with a tomato sauce. And a spring salad of some sort. I'm going to test drive the white pizza tomorrow, just to make sure it will be okay.

sk8pics
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I tried out one of my pizza ideas last night and it was really good! Mix of provolone and mozzarella cheeses, carmelized onion, bacon, and roasted red peppers. It was great!:cool:

bobalina77
04-29-2010, 01:03 AM
So we're having my niece's birthday dinner on Sunday and I'm gonna attempt to make a pink castle cake. I have a 9 inch and an 8 inch round cake pan and a cupcake pan. I figure if I make the two round ones stacked on top of each other and then make cupcakes to stack up as the towers and put pointy ice cream cones on top as the turrets it should look passable. Anyone have any advice?

Oh.. I would cut the tops off the cupcakes to make them flat of course.

BigB08822
04-29-2010, 06:33 AM
We got an immersion blender today!! :cheer: It was only $30 at Sur La Table. I kind of wonder if it has any power, I thought they were a lot more money than $30. It is a Cuisinart so I know the brand is reliable. Well, if it doesn't work well then at least it was cheap. Now, what to make with it...