PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

pat c
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Or if you're western ;) you can do bbq'd beef. You can do this in a roaster as well:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Barbecued-Beef/Detail.aspx

You serve this with fresh buns, a creamy onion salad, lettuce salad, etc. It's easy to prepare.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Jenny
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
You serve this with fresh buns, a creamy onion salad, lettuce salad, etc. It's easy to prepare.

I'd be interested to hear what a "creamy onion salad" includes.

pat c
04-21-2010, 09:05 PM
It's actually marinated onions. I have 2 versions. It is great in bbq season. If you want it, I'll post it later. I'm on my way out the door, so I don't have the time to type it out right now. :)

BigB08822
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I would just cook the taco meat on the stove and transfer it to the crock pot and let the crock pot keep everything warm. Taco meat cooks in no time, it would cook more quickly and brown the meat better to do it on the stove. Just use the crock pot as a warmer.

Jenny
04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
It's actually marinated onions. I have 2 versions. It is great in bbq season. If you want it, I'll post it later. I'm on my way out the door, so I don't have the time to type it out right now. :)

Always interested in new recipes :)

skatemommy
04-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I would just cook the taco meat on the stove and transfer it to the crock pot and let the crock pot keep everything warm. Taco meat cooks in no time, it would cook more quickly and brown the meat better to do it on the stove. Just use the crock pot as a warmer.

I use the crockpot to make a meatloaf and my fam loves it. But yeah, cooking crumbled beef would not work in a crockpot; sorry if I wasn't clear. Plus reheating it will allow you to render more fat out if that is a concern.

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 03:51 AM
I made citrus salmon and roasted broccoli for dinner for my parents and me this evening. The marinade for the salmon included orange juice, olive oil, vodka, and Italian seasoning. It tasted great, but my salmon fillets kind of fell apart...I put them in the marinade this morning before I left for work and when I went to put them on the grill pan they came out of the ziploc bag in pieces! Should I have layed them flat when I put them in the fridge? They were also frozen and were obviously thawed out before I put them in the marinade.

Anyway, the roasted broccoli turned out fabulous...It was a Rachael Ray recipe. I only had to buy one obscure seasoning (Montreal Steak seasoning by McCormick). It also had garlic, olive oil, and chili powder. Then you rub it on each piece of broccoli, put it in the oven, and in 17 minutes it's done. :)

All in all, the salmon tasted really good. I was just disappointed in how it fell apart before I even cooked it. Maybe I should have bought fresh salmon from the seafood counter and not frozen. :confused:

BigB08822
04-22-2010, 04:00 AM
I am no expert with Salmon but maybe the fish is too delicate to marinade all day? Perhaps next time try putting them in the marinade when you get home and let them marinade for an hour or two as opposed to all day?

It could also help to use fresh salmon, the frozen salmon is probably really delicate because the ice crystals can reek havoc on the fish.

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 04:06 AM
I am no expert with Salmon but maybe the fish is too delicate to marinade all day? Perhaps next time try putting them in the marinade when you get home and let them marinade for an hour or two as opposed to all day?

It could also help to use fresh salmon, the frozen salmon is probably really delicate because the ice crystals can reek havoc on the fish.

This sounds perfectly logical to me. The recipe said to marinate it just for an hour, but when I read other people's reviews some said they marinaded for 24 hours! But they probably used fresh salmon, too.

Kamey
04-22-2010, 04:16 AM
I'll admit to not reading this entire thread, but has anyone been doing any of the Hungry-Girl recipes? I noticed the newest cookbook is #1 on NYT bestsellers.

I have the 200 under 200 cookbook, and have been pretty happy with it. However, I just tried the Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes - 134 calories each -- and they were just so moist, so incredibly delicious! I couldn't believe it.

The recipe is also on the HG website.
http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1313

bobalina77
04-22-2010, 04:48 AM
I thought you weren't supposed to marinate fish longer than an hour or two? I would try that next time. I think marinating it for 24 hours is asking for trouble, but maybe that's just me being paranoid :lol:

Jenny
04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I only had to buy one obscure seasoning (Montreal Steak seasoning by McCormick).

Others know more about fish than I, but I can tell you that Montreal Steak Seasoning is *fabulous* on steaks, and you can also use it on roast beef. YUM.

I'm surprised Ray had more seasonings in the recipe, because Montreal Steak is quite strong on its own.

Stefanie
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Others know more about fish than I, but I can tell you that Montreal Steak Seasoning is *fabulous* on steaks, and you can also use it on roast beef. YUM.

I'm surprised Ray had more seasonings in the recipe, because Montreal Steak is quite strong on its own.

Actually, I couldn't really taste the Montreal Steak in the broccoli because I think the chili powder overpowered it! Next time I will use one or the other. I really liked the taste of the chili powder with the broccoli; I surprised myself. :)

I hope to use the Montreal Steak on roast beef sometime--thanks Jenny! I appreciate the tip on how to get my money's worth when buying these spices/seasonings. :)

bobalina77
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
My boyfriend swears by Montreal Steak Spice.. he LOVES it! I like it too.. it is fabulous on steak!

Ajax
04-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I made citrus salmon and roasted broccoli for dinner for my parents and me this evening. The marinade for the salmon included orange juice, olive oil, vodka, and Italian seasoning. It tasted great, but my salmon fillets kind of fell apart...I put them in the marinade this morning before I left for work and when I went to put them on the grill pan they came out of the ziploc bag in pieces! Should I have layed them flat when I put them in the fridge? They were also frozen and were obviously thawed out before I put them in the marinade.

Fish definitely should not be kept in an acidic marinade any longer than an hour or so. Acids break down the enzymes and sort of "cook" the fish (in fact that's how ceviches are made) so if you leave the acid on too long all the bonds in the fish will break down and you'll end up with mush.