PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

bobalina77
04-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I made cheesecake cupcakes this morning to have at my brother's wedding reception Saturday. They look so pretty! They are chocolate and I topped each of them with a bit of sour cream mixed with sugar and vanilla and a raspberry. I hope they hold up.. this morning was the only time I had free to do them before Saturday. They're in the fridge in a rubbermaid container. I have to do the rest of them tomorrow morning before work. I didn't have time to make them all at once even if I left them all till tomorrow.

mkats
04-16-2010, 04:06 AM
OOH bobalina do you have a recipe? Those sound wonderful!

bobalina77
04-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Yes it's in a book my bf bought me (he was so impressed btw LOL).. I will post it tomorrow if I have time. I'm making vanilla ones tomorrow morning and putting a blackberry on those ones.

Prancer
04-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the salad suggestions! I am putting together a little collection of quickie dinners and have some ideas to add :).

BigB08822
04-19-2010, 02:36 AM
I don't think I posted this before but this is one of the most amazing cakes I have ever had!

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 small box choc pudding
1 small box vanilla pudding
3/4 cup cooking oil
1 small bag of chocolate chips (omit or do as little as you want, I did about half a bag)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups water

Mix every ingredient together until blended. Very simple, no need to go in any certain order and the box cake mix all but eliminates the chance to over mix the cake.

Put into a greased and floured bundt pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

People absolutely rave over this cake and it couldn't be simpler.

bobalina77
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Okay.. couple of days late but I've been busy haha..

Simple Chocolate Cheesecakes

24 vanilla wafers
2 8 oz packages cream cheese (softened)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
2 tablespoons flour
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
sour cream topping
canned cherry pie filling, chilled (optional.. I used fresh raspberries instead)

Sour Cream topping (makes LOTS)

1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 325 F. Line muffin pans with foil bake cups. Place one vanilla wafer in each cup.

In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, cocoa, and flour; blend well. Add eggs; beat well. stir in sour cream and vanilla. Fill each prepared cup almost full with cheese mixture.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; cool 5 to 10 minutes. spread heaping teaspoonful of sour cream topping on each cup. Cool completely in pans; refrigerate.

Garnish with dollop of cherry pie filling just before serving. refrigerate leftover cheasecakes.

Makes about 24 cupcakes.

Sour Cream Topping: In small bowl, stir together sour cream, sugar and vanilla until sugar dissolves.

mkats
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
That sounds SO good bobalina! Thanks!

bobalina77
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
They were a hit at the reception. Cheesecake is a tricky thing because not everyone likes it but those who had them said they were awesome. I'll definitely be making them again. It's an easy way to make cheesecake when you don't have a springform pan.

BigB08822
04-20-2010, 01:47 AM
I just saw a commercial for The Cooking Channel! :cheer: I hope DirectTV will carry it. It is an extension of The Food Network and will have many familiar faces. Rachel Ray will have another show called "A Week in a Day" where she shows you how to do your meal planning for the entire week I guess. It is actually something my boyfriend and I could benefit from if she picks meals without 103847 ingredients like she normally does. I am not buying every spice on the spice aisle, sorry!

Stefanie
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
It is actually something my boyfriend and I could benefit from if she picks meals without 103847 ingredients like she normally does. I am not buying every spice on the spice aisle, sorry!

ITA. A lot of her recipes, while simple to make, require so many ingredients!

Stefanie
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm having a housewarming party in May, and I am working on a menu. I have my appetizers and desserts planned out, but I am struggling with a main course. I have about 15 people who have RSVP'ed "yes" so far, so this obviously isn't a sit-down dinner type of party, but I don't want it to just be finger foods either. The party will begin at 2pm so I figure people will munch on appetizers for an hour or so, and then I can serve a main course. I am trying to steer away from cold cuts and things like lasagna as that seems to be taking the easy way out. I was even thinking about making these mini-meatloaves that I found on the Kraft Foods website. They are single servings that you bake in muffin tins. Or maybe some casseroles? Does anyone have any other ideas? And if it's something I can make the day before and then reheat in the oven that would be great as well. Keep in mind that I also can't be constantly tied down to the kitchen while the party is going on because people will want a tour of the house. Thanks so much!

skatemommy
04-20-2010, 08:54 PM
How about a Taco bar? You could put the meat in a crock pot and cut up all the fixings the day before. Cheese, tomato, avocado, onions, salsas, black beans, rice, corn chips, sour cream, cilantro, etc. You are brave to host such a big party! Or you could hire a neighbor to grill...(probably what I would do :))

Stefanie
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
How about a Taco bar? You could put the meat in a crock pot and cut up all the fixings the day before. Cheese, tomato, avocado, onions, salsas, black beans, rice, corn chips, sour cream, cilantro, etc. You are brave to host such a big party! Or you could hire a neighbor to grill...(probably what I would do :))

I *LOVE* the taco bar idea!!! I have a dumb question as I am a novice cook and have never used a crock pot before. Can you just put raw meat in there and it will cook? Or do you have to cook it on the stovetop first and then transfer it to the crock pot so it will stay warm? (Sorry, I can't believe I'm asking this!) I could even get two crock pots--one for ground beef, and one for ground turkey.

I considered the grill idea as my guests love that kind of food, but A) I don't own a grill and there really isn't extra money in the budget to buy one (well, I could afford a charcoal grill I guess), B) I'm not that friendly with my neighbors yet to ask one to man the grill and C) I've never grilled anything before and I wouldn't want to be stuck behind the grill for a long period of time. :)

skatemommy
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I *LOVE* the taco bar idea!!! I have a dumb question as I am a novice cook and have never used a crock pot before. Can you just put raw meat in there and it will cook? Or do you have to cook it on the stovetop first and then transfer it to the crock pot so it will stay warm? (Sorry, I can't believe I'm asking this!) I could even get two crock pots--one for ground beef, and one for ground turkey.

I considered the grill idea as my guests love that kind of food, but A) I don't own a grill and there really isn't extra money in the budget to buy one (well, I could afford a charcoal grill I guess), B) I'm not that friendly with my neighbors yet to ask one to man the grill and C) I've never grilled anything before and I wouldn't want to be stuck behind the grill for a long period of time. :)

Stef, so glad you like! If you don't have a crockpot, you could get an aluminum pan (disposable) with the sterno and base. Cook your meat the day before then reheat it either way. PS. If you've never grilled before you don't want to practice for a crowd! :D

Ajax
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Stefanie, you can braise a big hunk of meat and serve it with some purchased cornbread or rice. Taco bar is also a gread idea but requires lots of different ingredients so I think a braised brisket, leg or shoulder might be cheaper if you're concerned about cost. Another idea is to make a chili. Both are in fact better if made ahead of time and can easily be reheated in the oven in a big disposable pan. Let me know if you'd like any recipes :)