PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Have you tried skipping the lettuce and having an old fashioned Russian/Israeli salad with tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers and sweet onions with whatever oil and vinegar you like? Quick, simple, flavorful.

I think lettuce is a waste of space. :shuffle:

Here's a version (http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshersaladrecipes/r/salad_israeli.htm).

I like lettuce :lol:. And baby spinach and field greens and and and.

That looks really good, though; I am quite fond of tomato-cucumber salads.

What I'm looking for is more of a meal-in-a-bowl type of thing--not necessarily with lettuce (although lettuce is good), but something with protein and carbs and veggies and anything else all in one.

I'm tired of cooking. The less I have to do, the better. And my husband's doctor told him that he is in great shape, but needs to eat more fruits (which he just doesn't eat) and veggies (his LDL is enviable; HDL is terrible), and he no longer likes eating heavy meals in the evening, so I'm thinking salads will suit us both.

Japanfan
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I think lettuce is a waste of space. :shuffle:

And often a waste of money - I buy a head for sandwiches and most of goes bad.

Not to mention, it's pretty low on nutrition as well.

Jenny
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm planning to make this salad tonight, although it will accompany steak :) It's beets, spinach, goat cheese. We won't have any other sides with it.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Smashed-Beets-with-Goat-Cheese?cmpid=enews040510

For the fruit challenge, we have a similar thing - neither of us eats much fruit, and not being dessert people it was hard to work it in to the menu. Our solution is smoothies - we have one every weekday morning with frozen fruits, juice, banana and plain yogurt. Lots of fruit, great way to start the day, good for the digestive system.

bobalina77
04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I highly recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33133H-Cooker-White/dp/B000R8C7TW Very versatile, works well, and doesn't take up much more room than a regular one (the handles do get in the way).

Does anyone have any good dinner salad recipes? I have quite a few already, but something a little unusual would be good.

That looks pretty cool! Not sure when we'll actually get around to getting one but I'll keep my eye out for that :)

Allskate
04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
The less I have to do, the better. And my husband's doctor told him that he is in great shape, but needs to eat more fruits (which he just doesn't eat) and veggies (his LDL is enviable; HDL is terrible), and he no longer likes eating heavy meals in the evening, so I'm thinking salads will suit us both.

I like eating an antipasto salad. Romaine lettuce. Add roasted red peppers (good antioxidants), roasted asparagus, tomatoes, a little avocado (good for the HDL), anchovies (great source of omega 3s), shaved parmesan cheese or manchego cheese, and sometimes a few strips of genoa salami and a sprinkling of pine nuts. Put on salad dressing of olive oil (good for the HDL), vinegar, and herbs. If you wanted to make it more filling, you could add in some chicken or sliced sirloin tips.

On the sweeter side, I make a salad with mixed greens, fresh red pepper, tomatoes, goat cheese, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and an orange champagne vinagrette. I recentely added roasted beets and it was really good.

In terms of fruit, I add chopped apples to curry chicken salad. It's really easy to make. Just use left over chicken. Add apples and celery. Maybe some walnuts. Mix in with greek yogurt/mayo and curry powder. (The curry gets stronger after it sits, so don't go overboard.)

Ajax
04-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have any good dinner salad recipes? I have quite a few already, but something a little unusual would be good.

I have an Asian chicken salad recipe which I really like... It's pretty simple: thinly slice radishes and cucumbers and shred some cooked chicken (can also use extra-firm tofu). Mix 2 tbsp each fish sauce and lime juice and some chopped mint and let the chicken, radishes and cucumbers sit in this liquid for 20 min. Combine this mixture with lettuce and peanuts in a big bowl. For the dressing, mix equal parts hoisin sauce and peanut butter and whisk in enough vinager to make it slightly runny. Mix everything and enjoy :) i love the sweet-sour dressing combined with the crunch of the peanuts and vegetables and the freshness of the mint.

Jenny
04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Ajax, your salad is making me think of a banh mi - a Vietnamese chicken sandwich. There's a lot of French influence in the cuisine as many probably know, and you really see the two cultures come together in this sandwich. Here's one version:

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/02/banhmi

Prancer, have you considered sandwiches for dinner? When we want a light dinner, we will often make sandwiches, and I'm not talking pbj or tuna. We'll use ciabatta, stronger greens like spinach or arugula, homemade mayo perhaps flavoured with roasted red peppers, homemade slaws (banh mi includes one), meats that we've cooked ourselves and then sliced, nice cheeses, radishes, parsley or cilantro, gourmet mustards, etc. I even make butter from time to time. :)

I realize that sounds like a lot of work, but honestly if you have a variety of ingredients on hand, the assembly is minutes, and even if you throw in some homemade slaw, you're still looking at only 20 mins prep time. No more than a salad. Whenever we roast a chicken or beef we always look forward to the sandwich leftovers.

You can also easily adapt for different family tastes, and vary the size of the sandwiches for bigger appetites.

Then there's the hearty and satisfying beef on weck, introduced to me by poster Badams, a specialty from Buffalo that is now high on our rotation list. It's usually made with a special kaiser coated with pretzel salt and caraway (the "weck"), but I simply crush the seeds and sea salt into sweet butter, spread it on ciabatta or a nice roll, top with thin sliced roast beef and horseradish, and dip in hot jus (I confess that as our roasts are usually small with little jus, I will usually make an envelope of Knorr). Add a kosher pickle on the side, and you've got dinner.

BrokenAnkle
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
This is not a particularly healthy salad, but it's unusual, and I have never seen a "recipe" for it. My mother probably found it in a magazine 40 years ago. I think it was called Chili con carne salad.

toss in a bowl:

Lettuce - romaine or iceberg
one big tomato, diced
a yellow or orange pepper, diced,
some onion of some sort: red, yellow, sweet, even green onions all work fine)
any other veggies you like in salad - jicima works well, for example.
sliced pepperoni - use a lot

Heat a can of chili (or use homemade, which is better) and toss it with the veggie and pepperoni mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos corn chips.

You can tweak it to make it healthier or lighter, of course, by adding more more veggies, less cheese, no chips... but I recommend keeping the pepperoni in it no matter what.

IceAlisa
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I love Bahn Mi!

Prancer: how about a penne pasta salad with sun dried tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, toasted pine nuts and arugula?

Some nights I am feeling particularly lazy, I just serve great quality fresh crusty bread, some nice firm cheese, tomatoes and olives. If everything is fresh, it's quite a nice meal. That's was a typical dinner for us in Italy after we got tired of Italian food (that only took 10 days at the end of which we were whining for burritos, sushi and Thai noodles).

BigB08822
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Since this used to be a recipes and gardening thread, I am going to post this in here. It isn't food but maybe someone with a green thumb can help.

We have a Rose Radtko (http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/srplants.plantDetail/plant_id/592/index.htm) plant and it was doing beautifully. I didn't water it for 2 days and all of the roses began drying up and most of them have completely lost their petals, the others are not far behind. There are a few new blooms about to come up. Should I go and cut back the dead ones? I don't know what to do at this point. Online it says this plant is drought resistant but this happened after 2 days of not watering. Doesn't seem too drought resistant to me. I don't think I have over-watered it, either, because since I began watering it again the new blooms have shown that they are closer and closer to opening.

mkats
04-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Brian, have you changed anything else about its conditions? Light, temperature, etc?

If it seems to be recovering and opening up new flowers, I wouldn't worry too much about it - you can probably go ahead and clip off the dead flowers/leaves, or they'll fall off by themselves. I had a similar problem happen with my baby rosebush earlier this year (left for two days, when I came home everything except for the top was utterly fried and I have no idea why), but it recovered nicely, went dormant over the winter and is now happily sending out new buds.

Also - would there be interest in a general gardening thread for Spring/Summer 2010? I have a lot of gardening pics I'd like to share :shuffle: but none of my food plants have started producing yet...

Jenny
04-15-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm planning to make this salad tonight, although it will accompany steak :) It's beets, spinach, goat cheese. We won't have any other sides with it.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Smashed-Beets-with-Goat-Cheese?cmpid=enews040510

Just a follow up to this, as we've now had it - worked out beautifully, although we didn't opt for the garlic chips. Next time I would just toast a few pine nuts instead. This would make a great summer luncheon salad served al fresco. :summer:

This is not a particularly healthy salad, but it's unusual, and I have never seen a "recipe" for it. My mother probably found it in a magazine 40 years ago. I think it was called Chili con carne salad.

Sounds like a good variation on a taco salad, and I've just remembered another option for dinner salads ... the California specialty, Chinese chicken salad. I haven't had this, but there was a good story in Saveur's March Los Angeles themed issue, and here's the recipe:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chinese-Chicken-Salad

Also - would there be interest in a general gardening thread for Spring/Summer 2010? I have a lot of gardening pics I'd like to share :shuffle: but none of my food plants have started producing yet...

Yes please!

JAF
04-15-2010, 03:28 AM
A suggestion, my favorite Dinner Salad

Salad Greens (your favorite) dressed with a simple Lemon Dressing
On top of Salad Greens a Crab Salad (your favorite recipe and type of crab, I use wild Canadian Snow Crab)
I served with Raspberry Muffins or Banana Nut Bread (your favorite quick bread)

Yummy

BigB08822
04-15-2010, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the advice.

To answer your question, YES! I have about 4 plants on our pergola and I really am enjoying taking care of them but I know absolutely NOTHING! I would love a thread with some advice so I can ask questions when I need help and I can learn from others questions and advice. I want to get some new plants eventually but want to make sure I can keep the ones I have alive, first!

BigB08822
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Yum! I just made "egg in the hole" for breakfast for the first time in a very very long time. You just take a piece of bread and poke out a big hole in the middle, flop the bread down in a frying pan with lots of butter and crack an egg in the center. Fry it up, flip it over and eat it up! It came out perfectly with the white just done and the yolk all runny. This was also the first time I ever tried it with wheat bread and I preferred it, the wheat bread tasted saltier to me and therefore more seasoned. I initially did this because I wanted fried eggs but I am so horrible at flipping them, the bread holds the egg nicely in place for easy flipping!

http://blog.thirdhour.com/wp-photos/20061125-235334-2.jpg