PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

MysticHaze
04-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Does anyone have any good cauliflower recipes?

Ajax
04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Does anyone have any good cauliflower recipes?

Roast it! Cut it into small florets, toss with 1-2 tbsp oil, place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil and roast at 400F for 20-25 minutes until browned, stirring halfway through. This caramelizes the cauliflower and makes it taste nutty and sweet, it's delicious! Once it's roasted you can mix it with grated parmesan and/or some spices such as smoked paprika, ground cumin or cocoa (yes, cocoa!)

I also make a cauliflower "tabbouli": Process the raw cauliflower in the food processor until ground - it should look like couscous. Toss with chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, salt, lemon rind, fresh mint and a vinaigrette.

emason
04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Ajax;2726082

I also make a cauliflower "tabbouli": Process the raw cauliflower in the food processor until ground - it should look like couscous. Toss with chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, salt, lemon rind, fresh mint and a vinaigrette.[/QUOTE]

This sounds amazing; it's going right to the top of my list of recipes to try. Today's gold star goes to you.

BigB08822
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
We made cauliflower once and made it similar to mashed potatoes. Really delicious and healthier than mashed potatoes. I don't remember exactly how we did it but there are tons of recipes online.

bobalina77
04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I was explaining about mashed Cauliflower to my boyfriend and he thought I was crazy. I told him that some people do half cauliflower and half potato to hide the cauliflower from kids who like mashed potatoes and only mashed potatoes for a veggie. That made more sense to him :lol:

Jenny
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I also make a cauliflower "tabbouli": Process the raw cauliflower in the food processor until ground - it should look like couscous. Toss with chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, salt, lemon rind, fresh mint and a vinaigrette.

ooo I like the sounds of this too - definitely on my list to try this week!

I sometimes do a cauliflower as a gratin with comte cheese sauce - ends up like a very high end (but low carb!) macaroni,

Anita18
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
So I tried making my own yogurt again this weekend, and unlike last time (where it was stringy and super-sour), I tried a new recipe that included dry milk so I wouldn't have to strain it. Apparently I added way too much dry milk because it came out so solid, it's like a thick mousse instead of a yogurt. Plus I was a little hesitant in trying it, so I added too much honey to my taste-test bowl. But so far so good, I haven't keeled over yet. I was afraid of poisoning myself. :rofl:

I was really surprised as to how easy it was. Yes, you have to wait like, 12 hours to incubate and you do have to make sure you heat up the milk to 180F initially (and then wait for it to cool so you don't kill the bacteria when you add the starter), but I didn't have to strain it and it's way certainly cheaper than buying Fage yogurt in the store. Fage yogurt is IIRC the only real Greek yogurt you can buy, it's just milk and the culture.

Just another notch to add to my DIY belt now. :lol:

Allskate
04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Trader Joe's carries it's own brand of Greek yogurt that is cheaper than Fage. But, that's really cool that you made your own -- and lived to tell the tale. :lol:

Anita18
04-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Trader Joe's carries it's own brand of Greek yogurt that is cheaper than Fage. But, that's really cool that you made your own -- and lived to tell the tale. :lol:
My friend was telling me how good Spega yogurt was, which Trader Joe's carried a few years ago but has since discontinued. Now I have no clue where you'd find it. She asked if Whole Foods carried it, but I was sure I didn't see it since it comes in these very distinctive glass jars. I would have remembered a yogurt that came in glass jars. :lol:

bobalina77
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I made corn bread to eat with our chili last night. It was kinda cool having freshly made corn bread warm out of the oven.. boyfriend was in heaven :lol:

Jenny
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I made corn bread to eat with our chili last night. It was kinda cool having freshly made corn bread warm out of the oven.. boyfriend was in heaven :lol:

We had chili on Sunday - I figure it's the last of the season, and it was a good dish for the final day of the Masters as I could let it sit in the slow cooker all afternoon and focus on the golf. Mine was meatless - two kinds of beans, tomatoes and tomato paste, hot chilis (still using the ones I dried from my harvest last summer!), peppers, onions, corn, adobo seasoning.

We also had homemade bread - I did a buttermilk ranch bread in my breadmaker. I've had the thing for years gathering dust in the basement, but have pulled it out a few times lately to great success.

We are having the same meal part deux tonight. :)

bobalina77
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
We don't have any left for dinner tonight because our slow cooker is pretty small. We need to get a bigger one. Ours was a pretty basic chili.. ground beef, kidney beans, green and red pepper, onion, corn and then the various seasonings (lots of chili powder haha).

I've never made corn bread before but we were watching The Food Network one day and one of the guys was making it and boyfriend mentioned that he loved it so I figured I'd give it a shot. I have a muffin pan that makes mini loaves so I used that. They looked beautiful and it was so easy! I was quite impressed with myself :lol:

Habs
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I am officially addicted to my new Jamie Oliver cookbook.
Last night I made his meatballs and pasta sauce.... :swoon: Best I've ever made (and I already had a pretty kick-ass recipe! :lol: ).

Prancer
04-14-2010, 02:28 AM
We don't have any left for dinner tonight because our slow cooker is pretty small. We need to get a bigger one.

I highly recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33133H-Cooker-White/dp/B000R8C7TW Very versatile, works well, and doesn't take up much more room than a regular one (the handles do get in the way).

Does anyone have any good dinner salad recipes? I have quite a few already, but something a little unusual would be good.

IceAlisa
04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
I highly recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33133H-Cooker-White/dp/B000R8C7TW Very versatile, works well, and doesn't take up much more room than a regular one (the handles do get in the way).

Does anyone have any good dinner salad recipes? I have quite a few already, but something a little unusual would be good.

Have you tried skipping the lettuce and having an old fashioned Russian/Israeli salad with tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers and sweet onions with whatever oil and vinegar you like? Quick, simple, flavorful.

I think lettuce is a waste of space. :shuffle:

Here's a version (http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshersaladrecipes/r/salad_israeli.htm).