PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

oleada
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Anyone got a good red velvet cake recipe? It's my first time to attempt to make it. I'm fairly confident it should go well, but any tips and tried and true recipes will be welcome. This is the recipe I had planned to use:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

BigB08822
03-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I was thinking of melting my butter with some minced garlic but since our pork roast has some kind of garlic marinade and since our mashed potatoes are also going to be garlic I want to leave the garlic out. Would it be tasty to melt in some parmesean cheese into the butter? I only have the cheap Kraft kind you sprinkle on spaghetti. I'm just trying to add something different, I've been having fun experimenting lately.

ETA: This is for the butter I will put on the asparagus as I roast it.

Allskate
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't melt the cheese into the butter. I'd cook the asparagus after brushing with melted butter -- I cook it at 500 degrees in the oven -- and then sprinkle the cheese on after you take it out of the oven. But, if everything else you're serving is kind of heavy, you might just want to squeeze a little lemon on the asparagus before you serve it and leave out the cheese altogether.

BigB08822
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't melt the cheese into the butter. I'd cook the asparagus after brushing with melted butter -- I cook it at 500 degrees in the oven -- and then sprinkle the cheese on after you take it out of the oven. But, if everything else you're serving is kind of heavy, you might just want to squeeze a little lemon on the asparagus before you serve it and leave out the cheese altogether.

Thanks. I think you are right to leave the cheese out. :)

BigB08822
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Mmmm, the asparagus were AMAZING! We both much preferred them coated with melted butter instead of olive oil. I know, not as healthy but in reality there was very little butter used, probably half a tablespoon. 500 degrees for 10 minutes was perfect! I want more. :shuffle:

Anita18
03-20-2010, 06:19 AM
OMG I just tried this pork/caramelized pear recipe from epicurious and it is DIVINE. :swoon:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Caramelized-Pears-and-Pear-Brandy-Cream-Sauce-1258

I couldn't find any alcohol that was pear-flavored, so I just used some white wine and plain syrup. I hadn't made caramelized pears before but it is SO good!

altai_rose
03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
OMG I just tried this pork/caramelized pear recipe from epicurious and it is DIVINE. :swoon:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Caramelized-Pears-and-Pear-Brandy-Cream-Sauce-1258

I couldn't find any alcohol that was pear-flavored, so I just used some white wine and plain syrup. I hadn't made caramelized pears before but it is SO good!
Sounds good!

I really dislike eating raw pears, but I tried this roasted pear recipe and it's so delicious! Vanilla roasted pears (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/vanilla-roasted-pears/)

I made a bunch of Chinese pork buns today, but I had to freeze most of it. Have any of you ever bought frozen Chinese buns or dumplings before? How do I cook it after freezing if I want to steam them? What if I want to sort of fry them... not deep fry but just in a pan with a little bit of oil and some water ("shen jian")? Do I thaw them out beforehand or do I just directly dump them into the steamer or pan?

BigB08822
03-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Can this possibly be worth it? Anyone done this or know someone who has? They claim you get tons of blueberry's. It seems too good to be true, I love blueberries!

https://www.blueberrygiant.com/Default.aspx

P.S. There is audio/video on the website, in case you are at work or have volume way up.

Jenny
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe our resident gardening expert mkats has some thoughts, but I do have to wonder what genetic manipulation makes these plants such monster producers. Perhaps you want to visit a garden centre and ask them about growing blueberries to see what the normal rate is - and then maybe try both and report back to us. :)

We always have frozen blueberries in the house for smoothies - happily it's one of the few fruits produced in abundance in Canada.

Habs
03-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Jamie Oliver thread, but has anyone tried his Food Revolution cookbook? (Jenny, I'm looking at you!)

I flipped through it at Costco the other day and thought it looked good... but I'd like to hear if anyone has feedback :)

mkats
03-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe our resident gardening expert mkats has some thoughts, but I do have to wonder what genetic manipulation makes these plants such monster producers. Perhaps you want to visit a garden centre and ask them about growing blueberries to see what the normal rate is - and then maybe try both and report back to us. :)

We always have frozen blueberries in the house for smoothies - happily it's one of the few fruits produced in abundance in Canada.

awww :o

I've never heard of this plant but it sounds intriguing! It sounds to me like it was a result from multiple crosses of high producers, but the odd thing is that I haven't been able to find a decent review online of this plant - I was expecting to come across either "Yes, it was amazing and I got more blueberries than I could eat" or "No, it grew two blueberries in a summer and I threw it out" :lol:

Brian, if you try it I'd love to know the results too! I'd suggest you get yours from a reputable gardening site/nursery though, a couple people online are complaining about getting Little Giants that are almost rotted or dried out from online.

Sadly I don't have any real contributions to make to the recipe thread right now :( but hopefully I will this summer! My Asian Eggplant seedlings are almost six inches tall and I have 24 :eek: tomato seedlings of both big red and yellow pear varieties. I really, really, want to make yellow tomato sauce :swoon: Does anyone have a good recipe for sauce? And is it possible to make tomato sauce without simmering it for 2 hours+? Thanks!

bobalina77
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
We made this Cottage Pie (http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Main/Beef/recipe.html?dishID=8510) the other night and omg it was so good! We felt so sophisticated cooking with wine :lol:

bobalina77
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh.. we bought some gnocchi the other day but I have no idea what to do with it.. any ideas?

KikiSashaFan
03-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh.. we bought some gnocchi the other day but I have no idea what to do with it.. any ideas?

Put pesto on it? That's what I always do.

bobalina77
03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Not really a fan of pesto. I saw a recipe that used a sauce with gorganzola cheese which I don't really like but we could probably use parmasean or romano or a mixture of both I guess.