PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

succubus
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Anyway you cook scallops, they are fabulous! My biggest tip would be that after you defrost them, rinse them and PAT THEM DRY. Otherwise, the liquid left over messes with your recipe. I like them baked, broiled, seared, grilled, or pan-fried. Lemon, butter, salt and pepper is all you need; but if you want to get fancy you can wrap them with a slice of proscuitto and I place them on my panini maker for 3 minutes a side. I usually serve them with rice. Trim off (if they have) the little muscle that attached them to the shell.

One of the best scallop dishes I ever had was in Key West - fresh scallops, poached for a few minutes in a frothy key lime juice and butter. That was it. I could have happily died afterwards.

skatemommy
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
^ that sounds divine! The best meal I ever had was in Minneapolis at that triangle shaped hotel. Grilled scallops over risotto. I too, thought I died and gone to heaven!

reckless
03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Scallops are one of the easiest proteins to cook, which is why they are so heavily used on shows like Top Chef. I love scallops grilled or sauteed quickly. I usually put a little salt, pepper and herbs de provence on them before cooking. (I generally use fresh scallops though.) Then cook them for 2-3 minutes a side on high heat. They really should be cooked that quickly or else they will dry out.

Another preparation I've done is slow-poached scallops in olive oil. Slow poaching is done by turning the oven to 225-250 degrees (some recipes use even lower temps). Place the scallops in a baking dish with enough olive oil to cover them and put in the oven until they change color. The oil will keep them incredibly tender and moist. You also can slow poach in a pot, with oil that is about 140 degrees. Here is a video (http://www.chow.com/stories/11138) that shows the technique using halibut, which is one of the best fishes to use for slow-poaching.

Christina
03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
reckless, do you heat up the oil first and then put the scallops in, or put them in the cold oil and then put them in the oven? I think I'm going to try this tonight - poaching in olive oil. I figure I can't screw that up too badly. Do you think I can put the cod in there at the same time?

Duh, just read some more, I'll put them in the cold oil and then into the oven.

But do you think I can do fish at the same time? How does one tell if fish is cooked?

reckless
03-12-2010, 02:44 AM
reckless, do you heat up the oil first and then put the scallops in, or put them in the cold oil and then put them in the oven? I think I'm going to try this tonight - poaching in olive oil. I figure I can't screw that up too badly. Do you think I can put the cod in there at the same time?

Duh, just read some more, I'll put them in the cold oil and then into the oven.

But do you think I can do fish at the same time? How does one tell if fish is cooked?
Sorry I'm so late in responding. Did you try it?

In response to the original question, I think you can do the fish at the same time, in the same manner, but the scallops will finish first. I've never cooked cod, so I'm not sure how I would tell if it is done. Generally, with halibut, I find that it changes from translucent to white and flakes apart with a slight touch of a fork. I think a fish like cod would probably be similar.

skatemommy
03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Scallops are one of the easiest proteins to cook, which is why they are so heavily used on shows like Top Chef. I love scallops grilled or sauteed quickly. I usually put a little salt, pepper and herbs de provence on them before cooking. (I generally use fresh scallops though.) Then cook them for 2-3 minutes a side on high heat. They really should be cooked that quickly or else they will dry out.

Another preparation I've done is slow-poached scallops in olive oil. Slow poaching is done by turning the oven to 225-250 degrees (some recipes use even lower temps). Place the scallops in a baking dish with enough olive oil to cover them and put in the oven until they change color. The oil will keep them incredibly tender and moist. You also can slow poach in a pot, with oil that is about 140 degrees. Here is a video (http://www.chow.com/stories/11138) that shows the technique using halibut, which is one of the best fishes to use for slow-poaching.

Where do you get fresh scallops? My hubby is an airline pilot and can bring them home occasionally. Although I am happy with Schwans frozen scallops really they are acceptable here in the midwest!

reckless
03-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Where do you get fresh scallops? My hubby is an airline pilot and can bring them home occasionally. Although I am happy with Schwans frozen scallops really they are acceptable here in the midwest!
Most of my local markets are fairly upscale with extensive fish counters, so they often have fresh or flash-frozen scallops. I generally only buy scallops when they are listed as fresh.

Christina
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I tried it, and Mr. Christina said they were good. My house smells like fish, but he liked it.

Thanks for all the help!!!

bobalina77
03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Okay cookers.. bf and I are having our parents over for dinner and we're gonna attempt salmon. Any tips? I found a fairly easy recipe with a maple syrup, garlic and soy sauce marinade.

Oh.. and tips on what to serve with it would be appreciated as well haha. I'm thinking maybe broccoli or asparagus, and carrots (for my dad.. he dislikes any green veggie), but if anyone has any more exciting ideas throw them at me haha.

Christina
03-14-2010, 04:16 AM
Rice and broccoli and carrots would be my suggestion.

Good luck!

bobalina77
03-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks.. our moms will be there for backup so hopefully things should go smoothly :lol:

bobalina77
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
The salmon was very yummy and got rave reviews from everyone. Even my boyfriend's uncle who is a chef loved it and asked for the recipe.. yay!

BigB08822
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Tonight I am doing a pork roast with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Any ideas for the asparagus? My plan was to simply coat with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and do them in the oven. Would I broil them and for how long? The problem is that I am out of olive oil and do not want to use cheap vegetable oil. Could I do some dallups of butter on top or maybe better yet, melt butter and use a kitchen brush to apply the butter evenly? That sounds good!

bobalina77
03-18-2010, 09:54 PM
There are some asparagus ideas a couple of pages back cause I asked the same question.. good luck! I love asparagus!

BigB08822
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
There are some asparagus ideas a couple of pages back cause I asked the same question.. good luck! I love asparagus!

:duh: I thought the topic seemed familiar but all I could remember were the beet discussions. I am going to look, now!