PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

oleada
03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I put out one piece of foil for each breast and lay the breast on the foil. I put a few dollops of butter on top and shake a good amount of worchestshire sauce on top. Then I sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder. I dice an onion and bell pepper and throw that all around and this time I squeezed half a lemon and put a couple of thin lemon slices on top. I crinkle the foil up around it and bake it at about 400 for 45 minutes or so, just depends on the thickness of your chicken. If you don't use frozen then you will cook for less time. Make sure your foil isn't torn or ripped because you don't want your sauce to run out, this is what goes on my rice! You can really do whatever you want, its the perfect easy meal that you can do slightly different each time depending on what veggies you have and what spices you feel like using.

Tried this the other day - only with fish since it was the only meat I had and olive oil instead of butter. Pretty good and really easy. I think I'll keep it around!

I hate most frosting as well. I like chocolate and cream cheese, but othewise - eh.

KikiSashaFan
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Mmm I do like cream cheese frosting. Homemade frosting is actually okay, it's the stuff in a can that has me :scream:

JAF
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
REAL Buttercream frosting isn't too sweet, but you have to love butter, lots of butter. :)

emason
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I think the problem with this frosting discussion is that there is frosting and then there is FROSTING.

Real frosting, buttercream or any other kind, made from scratch, is one of the taste delights of the world. Frosting from a can or that noxious stuff that commercial bakeries use is not deserving of respect IMHO.

my little pony
03-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Real frosting, buttercream or any other kind, made from scratch, is one of the taste delights of the world.

yes

and it should be illegal to put whipped cream on a cake and call it frosting

BigB08822
03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I love frosting out of a can, especially choc frosting. :shuffle:

Christina
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
So I've got some frozen scallops that I want to make for my husband. I'm not a seafood person, and never will be, but these were on sale 1/2 price. I've been told to either saute them in some oil in a skillet or to broil them in the oven.

What does one serve with scallops? I'm going to have leftover chicken, but I don't have a clue what to make with them. Rice? Is there some sort of sauce that I should be making for them, or just melted butter?

Any and all ideas are welcome....

mkats
03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Yay! I just got home for spring break to find two bundles of asparagus in the fridge! :)

emason
03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
yes

and it should be illegal to put whipped cream on a cake and call it frosting

It should also be illegal to spray something out of a Reddi-Whip can and call it whipped cream, but that's another issue.

altai_rose
03-08-2010, 12:57 AM
The December issue of Saveur had a lot of great Swedish recipes for treats, and most of them seem to be here:

http://www.saveur.com/solrSearchResults.jsp?q=swedish+sweets
Thanks!! Unfortunately, none of the recipes really appeal to me to make....

REAL Buttercream frosting isn't too sweet, but you have to love butter, lots of butter. :)

I think the problem with this frosting discussion is that there is frosting and then there is FROSTING.

Real frosting, buttercream or any other kind, made from scratch, is one of the taste delights of the world. Frosting from a can or that noxious stuff that commercial bakeries use is not deserving of respect IMHO.
Okay, this I agree with. I made a chocolate buttercream frosting for my Dobos torte that was absolutely delicious! I didn't have a mixer or blender so I had to make it by hand (you could still see tiny specks of butter in the end product), but it didn't really impact the taste. Nothing like the typical frosting on store-bought cakes.

Allskate
03-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the beet help everyone. I made a purple potato and beet salad. It was the purplest thing I ever made. :lol:

I didn't make the orange beets, but that suggestion gave me a good idea for an orange vinagrette for salad dressing on a salad with beets, goat cheese, and dried cranberries.

And, oh yeah, frosting is good stuff. I don't eat wheat, but whenever cake is served, I have a bit of frosting.

bobalina77
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I made cream of asparagus soup this morning.. so yummy! In the process of getting a roast ready for beef dip tonight.

emason
03-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I didn't make the orange beets, but that suggestion gave me a good idea for an orange vinagrette for salad dressing on a salad with beets, goat cheese, and dried cranberries.

This sounds delicious; I love cranberries as much as I love beets (which is a lot). Let us know how it turns out when you make it.

BigB08822
03-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Good Eats is doing an episode on beets and it is playing right now! I love this show when it is on a food I'm curious about or don't know much about. I am watching and will report with anything interesting but if I don't, look for it in reruns...

One easy thing he just did was roast them in the oven in a foil packet. He put some beets in there (they looked unpeeled), 2 challots peeled, and 3 sprigs of rosemary and drizzled olive oil on top. He baked it at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Not sure how much of the rosemary and challot will get into your beets but I've never tried it.

skatemommy
03-10-2010, 12:14 PM
So I've got some frozen scallops that I want to make for my husband. I'm not a seafood person, and never will be, but these were on sale 1/2 price. I've been told to either saute them in some oil in a skillet or to broil them in the oven.

What does one serve with scallops? I'm going to have leftover chicken, but I don't have a clue what to make with them. Rice? Is there some sort of sauce that I should be making for them, or just melted butter?

Any and all ideas are welcome....

Anyway you cook scallops, they are fabulous! My biggest tip would be that after you defrost them, rinse them and PAT THEM DRY. Otherwise, the liquid left over messes with your recipe. I like them baked, broiled, seared, grilled, or pan-fried. Lemon, butter, salt and pepper is all you need; but if you want to get fancy you can wrap them with a slice of proscuitto and I place them on my panini maker for 3 minutes a side. I usually serve them with rice. Trim off (if they have) the little muscle that attached them to the shell.