PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Allskate
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Asparagus doesn't last long. It goes limp quickly, so use iit soon. Roasted with olive oil and some salt is my favorite way to eat it.

mysticchic
03-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I need some help! A freind of mine had me over for dinner and she made stuffed shells. I want to make them but I need to know where to find horny goat cheese.

bobalina77
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
My favorite way to cook asparagus is roasting them.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with a non-stick product; place the asparagus in a single layer and drizzle a little olive oil and S&P over them; bake about 10 mins. at 400 F (the baking time depends on the size of the asparagus); when done, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and drizzle a very small amount of balsamic vinegar over the top.

You can roast more than you need and use the leftovers with pasta in a salad the next day.

Also, a lovely spring dish is penne with sauted asparagus and prosciutto. While you cook penne in boiling water, saute a little minced garlic in olive oil, add diced prosciutto and cook for a few minutes, then add asparagus which has been cut into 1" pieces. When the asparagus is softened and the penne is cooked, add the penne to the saute pan and squeeze half a lemon plus a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Finish with freshly grated Parmesean cheese.

YUM! I'm definitely trying that one even though bf doesn't like lemon. I figure if I don't tell him he won't notice haha. That sounds freaking fantastic! I'll try roasting it one day too. I tried it with broccoli once and it didn't work out so well.. maybe asparagus will work better :lol:

Jodi
03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
I *love* beetroot! I roast it whole and peel it after. I find it does colour my hands a bit even with a thorough scrub afterwards, but I wouldn't say it stains exactly because it only takes a few more washes through the course of the day to disappear. Usually I just eat it as is or sprinkle it with a bit of vinegar. I also make borscht now and then.

I think this (http://melbournelarder.blogspot.com/2007/04/friday-morning-tea-chocolate-beetroot.html) has to be my favourite beetroot recipe though :D Unfortunately I have great difficulty finding anyone else who'll eat it because they all claim they don't like beetroot and refuse to try it even though I assure them you can't taste the beetroot at all :blah: I would just get them to eat it first and then tell them but I'm afraid of someone having a deathly allergy. I've also seen recipes for beetroot cake along the same lines as carrot cake with it grated in raw, I'd like to give that a go sometime as presumably you get a rather pretty colour :)

I love asparagus too - I think I just love 90% of vegetables I've ever tried :lol: I only eat it in the English asparagus season, which is also the new potato season, and I'm quite happy with a dinner consisting of just a plate of the two of them, simply boiled and then topped with butter :swoon:

my little pony
03-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Jodi I would totally come over for your chocolate beet cake

altai_rose
03-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Unlike many of you, I hate asparagus. It's one of the few things I hate eating (the others are pineapples, undercooked onions, frosting, and croissant-like pastries... weird mix, I know)

One of my friends said that beet lasagna is pretty good. I googled it... interesting!

BigB08822
03-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Frosting? A person exists in this world that doesn't like frosting!? Of any kind!?! Excuse me while I go sit in a corner and cry...

mkats
03-05-2010, 05:25 AM
I hate frosting too. Of any kind :P

Jenny
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Asparagus is an excuse to eat a bucket of hollandaise sauce. :)

We also like it grilled - toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, grill, voila. Also makes a great soup, especially if it's started to go soggy - make as you would any creamed soup, but save a few of the tops to put in after you puree. Drizzle melted butter in the bowls as you serve, yum. I've also put it in quiche.

Ajax
03-05-2010, 03:04 PM
A very simple but delicate and tasty preparation is to boil the asparagus for 2-3 minutes, then shock it in ice water to stop the cooking. Puree it in a blender with either water or chicken stock then strain. Reheat and once it's warm, whisk in some lemon juice and a spoonful of cold butter cut into pieces. You can drink the resulting liquid as a thick soup (in this case I season it with smoked paprika) or use it as a sauce under chicken or seafood.

KikiSashaFan
03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm in the frosting hate club also, although I don't mind the gel type stuff.

bobalina77
03-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

For the record I like frosting as long as it's smooth.. not too gritty. I also like a whipped cream frosting.. yum!

altai_rose
03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Frosting is too sweet for me.

Please help me out. I'm growing tired of the standard American cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. I think I've eaten way too many, and because I love trying new things, I want to learn to make something new. I want to make something that is tasty, beautiful, and very European. (And not too sweet or dense--ie, no chocolatey tortes please). I've made a Dobos torte, a Linzer torte, and an Italian cheesecake before, and I really liked them. Any suggestions or recipes?

I'm also looking for a recipe that imitates the scones of my school cafe. THey are so addictively good! They don't have the texture that store-bought (or even usual coffeehouse scones) have. They're not nearly as dense. I think they taste like a denser and more buttery muffin, and they're slightly underbaked. Crispy on the edges and soft and moist on the inside....

sk8pics
03-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I roasted a chicken last night, one of those Perdue oven stuffers. I rubbed it with a mix of rosemary, black pepper, and olive oil, and put it on a rack in a roasting pan with a half cup of water. It was great! Very moist and tender. Roasted some potatoes, green and red peppers, and onions to go with it. So now I have leftovers and leftover chicken to make soup with. And I froze some of the chicken as well. Yay!

Jenny
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Frosting is too sweet for me.

Please help me out. I'm growing tired of the standard American cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. I think I've eaten way too many, and because I love trying new things, I want to learn to make something new. I want to make something that is tasty, beautiful, and very European. (And not too sweet or dense--ie, no chocolatey tortes please). I've made a Dobos torte, a Linzer torte, and an Italian cheesecake before, and I really liked them. Any suggestions or recipes?

The December issue of Saveur had a lot of great Swedish recipes for treats, and most of them seem to be here:

http://www.saveur.com/solrSearchResults.jsp?q=swedish+sweets