PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

emason
03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Like potatoes. :)

Peel them, dice, boil them and when tender serve and eat. You can add about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of brown sugar and butter and serve.

Conversely, you can boil them with the peels on. Then after they cool, just run them under cool water and slip the peels off in the sink. Then just dice and slice as you wish.

emason
03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Anybody have any good beet recipes?

Beets in Orange Sauce - here's the Better Homes and Garden version:

4 medium beets (1 pound) or 1 16-ounce can sliced beets drained
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice

Cut off all but 1 inch of fresh beet stems and roots, wash. Do not peel. Cook, covered, in boiling water for 40 - 50 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Slip skins off beets and slice.

In a medium saucepan melt butter or margarine. Stir in brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange peel and orange juice. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cooked or canned sliced beets and heat through. Makes 4 servings.

Always a big hit on my Thanksgiving table.

Ajax
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Anybody have any good beet recipes? I've been seeing them at the farmer's market lately and have been tempted to buy them, but don't really know how to cook them.

Beets are yum! To avoid the staining issue, I use golden beets. They taste the same but won't turn everything pink.

Roasted beets are delicious. Wrap in foil and roast at 400F for 40-60 min, until a knife goes through without resistance. You can use the roasted beets in a salad with the following: goat cheese or feta, walnuts, fresh mint, orange segments and arugula.

You can make beet hummus. (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_hummus/)

Another good recipe is beet crostini: puree roasted beets with a some goat cheese and olive oil. Chop the beet greens and saute them in a hot pan with a little olive oil, garlic and salt. Top toasted bread slices with the beet puree and then the greens. Yum!

Cupid
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Do beets have to be peeled? Can they be scrubbed really well and prepared or is the skin unappetizing?

I now have a huge beet craving.

emason
03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Do beets have to be peeled? Can they be scrubbed really well and prepared or is the skin unappetizing?

I now have a huge beet craving.

In my experience, you matter how well you scrub you just can't get them clean enough. However, once you cook them they are very easy to peel.

Allskate
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all the beet suggestions! I'll try some beets this weekend.

my little pony
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
You can make beet hummus. (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_hummus/)

have you tried this? I love beets and I have never made them this way

Ajax
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
have you tried this? I love beets and I have never made them this way

I have tried it! It was very good :)

bobalina77
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Huh.. I might like that hummus. I don't like traditional hummus cause I'm not a fan of chick peas but I don't mind beets so much.

Does anyone know different ways to cook asparagus? We bought a bunch to have with our dinner last night and now we have to eat it before it goes bad. How long will it usually last in the fridge? I work evenings the next few days so won't be home for dinner, and I doubt bf will cook it just for himself. I know how to steam it but are there any other more exciting ways to cook it?

KikiSashaFan
03-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know different ways to cook asparagus? We bought a bunch to have with our dinner last night and now we have to eat it before it goes bad. How long will it usually last in the fridge? I work evenings the next few days so won't be home for dinner, and I doubt bf will cook it just for himself. I know how to steam it but are there any other more exciting ways to cook it?

I usually steam or boil it and serve it with butter and lemon juice for dipping. I always get hell from people when I have asparagus though because I don't like the texture of the tops, so I always cut them off before I eat them :shuffle:

bobalina77
03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The tops are the best part! :lol: That's like cutting the top off a piece of broccoli! Last night I steamed it and we just had it with butter and salt and pepper and we had steak and baby potatoes tossed in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.. so yummy!

I'm so stoked because bf's mom is giving us her bbq cause she never uses it! We have a little table top bbq that we bought for like $30, and while it's okay for camping it's not so good for cooking steak :lol:

mkats
03-04-2010, 11:53 PM
The tops are the BEST! I LOVE asparagus - probably my favorite vegetable of all, along with kale. I cut them into inch-long segments and blanch them in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes, then stir-fry w/ minced garlic, a little salt, and black pepper, then sprinkle some lemon juice at the end. MMMM SO GOOD :)

bobalina77
03-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Oooo.. that sounds good! Maybe I'll try that next time!

mkats
03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
I like it so they're just the littlest bit charred :)

4skating
03-05-2010, 01:31 AM
My favorite way to cook asparagus is roasting them.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with a non-stick product; place the asparagus in a single layer and drizzle a little olive oil and S&P over them; bake about 10 mins. at 400 F (the baking time depends on the size of the asparagus); when done, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and drizzle a very small amount of balsamic vinegar over the top.

You can roast more than you need and use the leftovers with pasta in a salad the next day.

Also, a lovely spring dish is penne with sauted asparagus and prosciutto. While you cook penne in boiling water, saute a little minced garlic in olive oil, add diced prosciutto and cook for a few minutes, then add asparagus which has been cut into 1" pieces. When the asparagus is softened and the penne is cooked, add the penne to the saute pan and squeeze half a lemon plus a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Finish with freshly grated Parmesean cheese.