PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I made my super easy baked chicken in foil packets the other night and this time I squeezed some lemon juice in the packet and put a couple of lemon slices on top of the chicken as it baked. Made a HUGE difference in adding flavor. I was worried because I am not big on lemon but it was just the right amount in the end. Can't wait to make it again.

sk8pics
02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm getting my roasting pan with rack today (giveaway with stamps at my supermarket). Anyone have any good recipes for roasted chicken or anything else to share? I won't get to use it until next weekend, but I want to be prepared! :lol:

bobalina77
02-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I made my super easy baked chicken in foil packets the other night and this time I squeezed some lemon juice in the packet and put a couple of lemon slices on top of the chicken as it baked. Made a HUGE difference in adding flavor. I was worried because I am not big on lemon but it was just the right amount in the end. Can't wait to make it again.

I used to do that with different salad dressings.. italian or even ranch. It's pretty tasty.

Nomad
02-27-2010, 05:46 PM

What's your recipe, Brian? I'd like to try something easy that isn't chicken-in-sauce-with-mushrooms-and-some-kind-of-herb-blend. I've been in that rut for months now.

BigB08822
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
What's your recipe, Brian? I'd like to try something easy that isn't chicken-in-sauce-with-mushrooms-and-some-kind-of-herb-blend. I've been in that rut for months now.

I wouldn't even call it a recipe. I buy the frozen chicken breasts but you can use fresh.

I put out one piece of foil for each breast and lay the breast on the foil. I put a few dollops of butter on top and shake a good amount of worchestshire sauce on top. Then I sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder. I dice an onion and bell pepper and throw that all around and this time I squeezed half a lemon and put a couple of thin lemon slices on top. I crinkle the foil up around it and bake it at about 400 for 45 minutes or so, just depends on the thickness of your chicken. If you don't use frozen then you will cook for less time. Make sure your foil isn't torn or ripped because you don't want your sauce to run out, this is what goes on my rice! You can really do whatever you want, its the perfect easy meal that you can do slightly different each time depending on what veggies you have and what spices you feel like using.

BigB08822
02-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Are eggs surely good so long as they don't smell? I cracked some eggs, not due to expire for another week or two, and they seemed to have more of that thick white stuff that sticks to the yolk than normal. I tend to freak myself out about possible food born illness so now I'm panicking that my cake is poisoned and I've convinced myself it doesn't smell right. :shuffle: Everything else about the egg is normal, no smell, no discoloration, just more of that yucky stuff on the yolk than I am accustomed to.

Jenny
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm getting my roasting pan with rack today (giveaway with stamps at my supermarket). Anyone have any good recipes for roasted chicken or anything else to share? I won't get to use it until next weekend, but I want to be prepared! :lol:

We're making roast chicken for dinner today - recipes aside, the key thing we've found for success is rotating the chicken as it roasts. That way, the whole thing is cooked and you get to enjoy all the succulent meat on the bottom as well as the breasts and legs.

After dinner, I throw the whole thing in a ziplock and then the next day I pick it apart for chicken salad, soup etc. Nothing goes to waste that way.

Are eggs surely good so long as they don't smell? I cracked some eggs, not due to expire for another week or two, and they seemed to have more of that thick white stuff that sticks to the yolk than normal. I tend to freak myself out about possible food born illness so now I'm panicking that my cake is poisoned and I've convinced myself it doesn't smell right. :shuffle: Everything else about the egg is normal, no smell, no discoloration, just more of that yucky stuff on the yolk than I am accustomed to.

Sounds like your eggs are just fine. If that googly bit bugs you, just pick it out when you crack the eggs and all will be well :)

sk8pics
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Jenny! I'm looking forward to trying this next weekend.

Ajax
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Eggs don't go bad quickly at all. They might drop in quality but are perfectly edible. I usually keep a carton of eggs 2-3 weeks past the expiration date and have never gotten sick.

skaternum
03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Eggs don't go bad quickly at all. They might drop in quality but are perfectly edible. I usually keep a carton of eggs 2-3 weeks past the expiration date and have never gotten sick.

You can test to see if an egg is still good by putting the questionable egg in a bowl of cold water. If it floats, it's no good. If it sits on the bottom, it's good. explanation (http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/testingeggs.htm)

Allskate
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Anybody have any good beet recipes? I've been seeing them at the farmer's market lately and have been tempted to buy them, but don't really know how to cook them.

acraven
03-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Anybody have any good beet recipes? I've been seeing them at the farmer's market lately and have been tempted to buy them, but don't really know how to cook them.

Can't help you with beet recipes (don't care for beets myself), but thought I'd mention that beet greens/leaves are very good in salads.

pat c
03-02-2010, 05:30 AM

Like potatoes. :)

Peel them, dice, boil them and when tender serve and eat. You can add about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of brown sugar and butter and serve.

You can also roast them.

And the beet greens, in a salad etc.

Cupid
03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a question about beets. When you peel them, do they stain your fingers and counter-tops red? That's my biggest fear of cooking them. I'd love to make a roasted root vegetable dish with chunks of beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, little gourmet potatoes. But the beets scare me!:eek:

Jenny
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Beets can stain, but all you have to do is peel them over paper towels, and then wash your hands, no biggie.

My favourite accompaniment for beets is horseradish and sour cream. I mix the two together, and blob it on roast beets at the table.

I also do a fancy but easy appetizer: Peel and cut raw beets into matchsticks, then pickle lightly (ie bit of vinegar, salt and sugar). Spread crostini (french stick cut thin then toasted on both sides under the broiler) with a mixture of goat cheese and horseradish, top with pickled beets, then garnish with chopped chives (or a couple of longer, artistically placed pieces). Easy to make, but a sophisticated taste and presentation. mmm I think I will add these to my Oscar menu!