PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
02-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Oreo truffles? I never heard of them!:eek: They sound fab! Recipe, please!

You ready for simple?

1 package of oreos (regular kind but you could venture out and try the golden oreos or mint oreos if you so please)
1 8oz block of cream cheese (room temp or close to it)
1 block of Almond Bark (I got the white one with vanilla added, it was a 20 oz bar)

You place your oreos in a zip lock bag and take out all your aggressions! Pound them until it is nothing but crumbs (I used a rolling pin). It is ok to have some slightly bigger pieces but you want it to be well broken up. Add this to a mixer with the paddle attachment, if you don't have one you can probably do it by hand but it will take a bit longer.

Let the cream cheese sit out for about an hour or so that way it isn't too cold and hard. Cut into chunks and throw into the oreo crumbles. Turn mixer on low and begin mixing. After 30 seconds or so speed it up so everything is combined. You shouldn't see anymore white from the cream cheese.

Form small balls out of your mixture and put on a cookie sheet. After you form your balls (I got 18 out of it) put the cookie sheet in the fridge so they can set up for about 45 minutes to an hour.

When the balls are set break your almond bark into squares and put in the microwave. Microwave for 60 seconds and stir and then put back in microwave for 15 seconds. Take it out and stir and keep putting it on for 15 seconds and stirring until it is smooth. I probably had to repeat the 15 seconds about 3-4 times.

Dip the balls into the melted choc and place on wax paper. I used two forks to pick them up because it allowed more of the chocolate to drip off back into the bowl. They should dry very quickly. If you want to sprinkle with anything do so quickly because the chocolate dries fast. That is it! I probably made it seem like a lot of work but that is because I went into a lot more detail and added some commentary. LOL! They are heavenly.

ETA: This is also relatively cheap. The oreos were about $3.00, the almond bark was about $3.50 and the cream cheese was only $.79 since I got a generic brand that was on sale. It made me 18 balls but I could easily have gotten closer to 24 with slightly smaller sized balls. If you need to bring something to a party or have guests coming and are broke, this is a good way to go. It is cheap but looks better than bringing some store bought cookie dough!

sk8pics
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks! That sounds great. I'll try it later this month when I have some people over.

Ajax
02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
It hard to count on the ripeness of Avacados in these parts. Discovered pre-packaged frozen avocados with seasoning and tomatos from Schwans (the yellow trucks known for ice cream). It is fabulous! I always keep them in the freezer for last minute party/invites. Just defrost, mash and serve with chips! Who knew you could freeze them?

Frozen avocados??? :eek: That sounds awesome! I hate paying 1.50$ for an avocado at the supermarket only to cut it open and discover that it's either underripe or already browning. Can you tell me how much they were? Did they have plain ones with no tomatoes in them?

Jenny
02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
A few months back I read instructions for doing it yourself in a magazine - all you do is mash up the avocado with a little lemon or lime juice, then put it in a freezer bag, squish out the extra air, and voila. I have some in the freezer now, still has its colour, and I did it flat for easy thawing, so I think it will work.

BigB08822
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
A few months back I read instructions for doing it yourself in a magazine - all you do is mash up the avocado with a little lemon or lime juice, then put it in a freezer bag, squish out the extra air, and voila. I have some in the freezer now, still has its colour, and I did it flat for easy thawing, so I think it will work.

Makes sense, I see no reason it wont freeze well, the lemon juice is probably important though. You can mash it and freeze it plain and season it and add other ingredients when you thaw it out. I might give this a try since they are in season right now.

skatemommy
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Frozen avocados??? :eek: That sounds awesome! I hate paying 1.50$ for an avocado at the supermarket only to cut it open and discover that it's either underripe or already browning. Can you tell me how much they were? Did they have plain ones with no tomatoes in them?

They are $12.99 for 3 packages in one box. No plain ones, but you could take Jenny's advice and do it yourself for much cheaper!

ETA: I add powdered Vitamin C to homemade guac in addition to lemon juice. Really prevents the browning! Learned that trick from a local Mexican restarant.

Cupid
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Here's a simple recipe for Oreo truffles that looks less intimidating!

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Community/recipe-exchange/userrecipedisplay.aspx?user_recipe_id=187283&group_id=1

I may try these for the Superbowl this weekend.

missflick
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
For those of you not giving a damn about cholesterol:

Lobster Bacon Mac and Cheese
1 small clove garlic, chopped - 1 shallot, peeled and minced 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsalted butter 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour 3 cups (750 mL) 2-per-cent milk 1 bay leaf - 1 small pinch of nutmeg - 2 cups (500 mL) of aged white cheddar cheese, grated - 1 cup (250 mL) of Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated - salt and pepper to taste - 1 to 1-1/2 pounds (500 to 750 grams) lobster, pre-cooked and shelled, cut into 1/2-inch (one centimetre) pieces - 3 ounces (75 grams/150 mL) smokehouse or other style of bacon, chopped and slightly cooked - 2 cups (500 mL) dry elbow noodles Crumb Topping: - 1 cup (250 mL) Panko bread crumbs (regular bread crumbs will work) - 1 ounce (1/4 cup/50 mL) of Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated - 1 ounce (1/4 cup/50 mL) smokehouse-style or other style of bacon

For the topping, place all ingredients in a food processor and mix on low speed until bacon is fully incorporated.
For the cheese sauce, melt butter in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until roux is formed. Gently whisk in milk, a cup at a time, being sure to work out the lumps. Add bay leaf and nutmeg and let slow-simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Stir in the cheese and the seasonings until cheese is completely melted and incorporated.

Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water (no salt). Strain noodles from water and add into cheese sauce with the lobster and bacon. Place into a casserole dish, top with crumb mixture and place in a pre-headed 350 F(180 C) oven. When crumb is golden, remove from oven and serve.

Jodi
02-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I fancy the idea of souffle omelettes but so far think they might just be slightly too ambitiously eggy for me (I'm in a long-term project to get myself to like eggs, hard-cooked fried eggs being my biggest success so far). So I've been making something as an intermediate step that's a sort of particularly eggy waffle-light pancake, in the hopes I might gradually be able to lessen the additions... Two large eggs, separated, whites whisked to stiffish peaks. Half a spoonful (I'm using one of my dessert spoons) of vanilla sugar lightly whisked in with the yolks, then a rounded spoonful of self-raising flour and two spoonfuls of milk folded in along with the whites, into a pan on a medium heat until the bottom's set and golden, then under the grill to cook the top, puffing up into fluffy loveliness. Tonight it was with maple syrup, last time with thinly sliced apples cooked slowly in butter to caramelise and a bit of honey stirred through at the end. Yummm :rollin: If I have a pudding I tend to like it not right after dinner but later as a supper, so this really hits the spot.

FiveRinger
02-09-2010, 12:53 AM
I fancy the idea of souffle omelettes but so far think they might just be slightly too ambitiously eggy for me (I'm in a long-term project to get myself to like eggs, hard-cooked fried eggs being my biggest success so far).

I am not a fan of eggs, either. I used to eat them in omelet form, with lots of sharp cheddar, meat, onions, tomatoes, peppers, sour cream, and salsa. But now I'm trying to lose some weight, so that's totally out of order. I won't eat anything that tastes like egg. It's unfortunate--such a great source of protein!

BigB08822
02-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Mmm, I love eggs. I love hard boiled eggs, they make a great quick snack and as said, they are a great source of protein. I need to start boiling some and throwing one or two in a bag to take with me to class. I could peel them before I leave and put them in a ziploc bag. It would keep me easily held over until lunch.

skatemommy
02-09-2010, 02:56 AM
I've posted links to mini quiches above thread, but basically 5 eggs and any protein and veggies you want mixed together and baked at 350 for 25 minutes in mini muffin pans makes the best egg snack that doesn't smell as much as hard boiled and is very portable. Made with cheese, bacon and sausage this weekend for hubby to snack on (while prying the chips from his hand from the Superbowl!)

FiveRinger
02-09-2010, 04:30 AM
I've posted links to mini quiches above thread, but basically 5 eggs and any protein and veggies you want mixed together and baked at 350 for 25 minutes in mini muffin pans makes the best egg snack that doesn't smell as much as hard boiled and is very portable. Made with cheese, bacon and sausage this weekend for hubby to snack on (while prying the chips from his hand from the Superbowl!)

That's a good idea. I was told it's a good idea to start each day with protein. Maybe I can figure out a way to make it more figure friendly. The cheese and meat is what made it edible. Sigh....

Jenny
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I have an egg or two most mornings - protein is a much better starter than carbs, which tend to leave you hungry mid morning.

A great tool is an egg cooker - Cuisinart makes a cute one shaped like a silver egg. It's a set it and forget it type deal, however you like them, easy as can be while you get ready for work.

Also, if at all possible, it's really worth spending the money on good eggs, ie organic and hopefully from a local farmer. There's a shop in my neighbourhood that has them, and the difference is enormous. The yolks are almost orange, and instead of flattening when you break them into a pan, they sit up. Full of flavour and nutrients, and from much happier chickens. Expensive though (about 3x regular eggs), so not necessarily for everyone.

emason
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I have an egg or two most mornings - protein is a much better starter than carbs, which tend to leave you hungry mid morning.

Actually, it should be both. A well-balanced nutritious meal contains both protein and carbohydrates. A meal that is only one or the other is not adequate.

Having a scrambled egg for breakfast (protein) is much better for you if you also have a piece of whole wheat toast (carbs) with it, as an example.