PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Today is my bf's birthday. Last night he kept wishing we had some cookies. I was going to go run to the mall and get him a birthday cookie but those are so huge and we aren't having other people get together until this weekend. Then I thought I could just make some cookies but I want something special. Does anyone know of an excellent cookie recipe? I want to make them homemade. He prefers choc chip cookies but I am willing to look at other types of cookies. Anyone know of a great ewwie gooey recipe?

Habs
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Today is my bf's birthday. Last night he kept wishing we had some cookies. I was going to go run to the mall and get him a birthday cookie but those are so huge and we aren't having other people get together until this weekend. Then I thought I could just make some cookies but I want something special. Does anyone know of an excellent cookie recipe? I want to make them homemade. He prefers choc chip cookies but I am willing to look at other types of cookies. Anyone know of a great ewwie gooey recipe?

These are fabulous:

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

BigB08822
02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot, Habs! I think I may go with those really easy but yummy oreo truffles. I happen to have everything I need (oreos, almond bark and cream cheese) so it will be cheap and require no trip to the store. I have never made them but it sure seems easy. I just hope he likes them. I absolutely love them so that's an added bonus, haha.

Jenny
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm deep in the throws of menu planning for tomorrow's Lost premiere (Polynesian of course) and Sunday's Super Bowl (classic tailgate/crap you can't eat any other time of year items, plus homages to the Saints and Colts), and now it appears we might have overnight guests on Saturday, who always put on a huge spread when we go to their place so the pressure is on!

It's too bad work keeps getting in my way of menu planning, shopping and cooking :lol:

skatemommy
02-01-2010, 09:04 PM
^ Jenny, if you don't mind could you share what you are serving? Darn stupid work anyway!

Jenny
02-01-2010, 09:23 PM
^ Jenny, if you don't mind could you share what you are serving? Darn stupid work anyway!

Any excuse to procrastinate! For the Lost premiere, I consulted a book called Retro Luau and will be doing two new recipes - Spicy Guacamole Dip (because I have a very ripe avocado at the moment) with veggies, and then as the main, Sweet and Sour Pork with green peppers and pineapple chunks served over plain basmati rice. Normally there would be a tiki cocktail, but given the weekend we have coming up, I think Tuesday will be dry. ;)

For the Super Bowl, I'm still working on the menu as numbers are shifting, but at this point I'm looking at:

Super Sausage Dip http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Super-Sausage-Dip (served hot in a fondue pot, gooey, cheesy and totally unhealthy!)
Deep Fried Pickles (I have several recipes) with a new sauce from Screen Doors and Sweet Tea (love love love this book) called Comeback Sauce apparently popular in the Mississippi Delta, which sounds like a pared down version of Thousand Island Dressing
A version of Hoosier Chili from Recipezaar (it seems they like spaghetti in their chili in Colts country)
Red White and Blue Potato Salad from a tailgate cookbook I just picked up - I might leave out the red potatoes to make it Colts colours, or go with all three as a nod to America's favourite sport)
Some sort of shrimp dish to represent the Saints (that's up to hubby - he's in charge of seafood)
Possibly Pimiento Cheese if I can't find the Cajun sausage BigB recommended to spread on crackers
And Catherine M is trying to talk me into a King Cake, but it's awfully sweet and I'm not sure I can pull it off - requires three different food dyes!
Copious amounts of alcohol

BigB08822
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Your menu sounds amazing. I would say it is easy to find Boudin but then again, of course it is easy for me since I live in Louisiana! I notice your last item, "copious amounts of alcohol", sounds like a good party to me!!!

I just tried one of my oreo truffles. :swoon: SO DELICIOUS! Can you really go wrong with oreos, cream cheese and almond bark (which I suppose is just white choc with vanilla added)? I added blue sprinkles to about half of them and put them in a bowl. I set them in the fridge for now so they don't melt but will set them out by his present right before he gets home. :)

skatemommy
02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
This month's Taste of Home has a recipe for King Cake that uses colored sugars instead of the food coloring (it also reminds you not to bake the plastic baby in the cake !)

Jenny
02-01-2010, 09:47 PM
BigB and skatemommy, I really enjoy learning about and trying American regional cooking, but sadly I do run into issues at times with products that aren't available here. I can get any international ethnic ingredient, just not some of the stuff found on American supermarket shelves :(

I saw the King Cake recipe from Taste of Home (as a fan of American home/regional cooking, I get their newsletter :)), but alas it's asking for a couple of cans of almond filling, which I've never seen before. Not to mention the plastic baby - where the heck can I get that??

So what are y'all serving this weekend???

skatemommy
02-01-2010, 09:59 PM
It hard to count on the ripeness of Avacados in these parts. Discovered pre-packaged frozen avocados with seasoning and tomatos from Schwans (the yellow trucks known for ice cream). It is fabulous! I always keep them in the freezer for last minute party/invites. Just defrost, mash and serve with chips! Who knew you could freeze them?

mkats
02-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Ahhh those avocado dishes sound amazing. When I was in Peru last summer they had GIANT avocados (about the size of a smaller eggplant), perfectly ripe, for the equivalent of 15 cents. I'd carry a spoon in my backpack and stop by the market before and after work and just eat as I went... there are also pictures of me eating an avocado at 4 AM in the morning while waiting in line to get into Machu Picchu. :swoon:

BigB08822
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Avocado is probably my single favorite food on earth. I just love it! Mash it, dice it, hand it to me whole, I don't care!!

sk8pics
02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I just tried one of my oreo truffles. :swoon: SO DELICIOUS! Can you really go wrong with oreos, cream cheese and almond bark (which I suppose is just white choc with vanilla added)?

Oreo truffles? I never heard of them!:eek: They sound fab! Recipe, please!

MOIJTO
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Avocado is probably my single favorite food on earth. I just love it! Mash it, dice it, hand it to me whole, I don't care!!

And they are in season and cheap right now! Eat up!

To add my "its so easy you can do this in your sleep wing recipe"

A bag of wing drumettes defrosted, place on large cookie sheet, sprinkle generously with Tony Chatrere's cajin seasoning, bake at 375 for 45 minutes and then flip wings sprinkle again with Tony Chatrere's cajin seasoning bake another 45 minutes or until crunchy!

Eat up! :)

skatemommy
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

I could live on avocados and scallops! Manna from heaven!