PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skaternum
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
We're in the midst of a terrific cold snap here, so I've been craving comfort food. We had another couple over Saturday night for "Old School Saturday Night." I made country style steak with rice & gravy & green beans, and my friends brought an apple pie. It was sooooo comforting. Then we made a big pot of hot cocoa and played a no-tech board game. I felt like a satisfied 10 year old! Best of all -- leftovers tonight!

skatemommy
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Boyfriend and I found this trifle at the grocery store that had chocolate cake, chocolate and vanilla pudding, whipped cream and cream puffs on top. Not a traditional trifle but to die for none the less :swoon:

I found a recipe for trifle that uses Twinkies! I'll check back when I try it (it's a childhood thing, an excuse to eat a Twinkie :))

Cupid
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm making a potato/cauliflower/egg salad for dinner. Recipe is from Lidia Bastianich. She made it on TV the other day and it looked so delicious and comforting on a cold winter's night.

mysticchic
01-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm looking for some easy soup recipes? I like Crab bisque (sp), tomato, Mushroom, veggie soup. Any suggestions?
I have a great one for easy barley and ground beef to trade

BrokenAnkle
01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
I am making one right now - I'm not sure how it will turn out

Saute 3 oz of pancetta in a couple of table spoons of olive oil. Add 1 onion, chopped and one or two carrots, chopped. Cook about 8 minutes more, add 4 cloves minced garlic, saute one more minute. Add 5 cups chicken broth and 3 cans drained, rinsed cannelini beans, and 1 teasp thyme simmer 10 minutes. Blend with immersion blender and add salt, pepper and some grated parmesan.

We'll see but at least it is quick and easy! It's from the current Williams SOnoma catalogue, of all things!

JAF
01-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Definitely soup weather (single digits where I live in Western PA).
Tomorrow I'm making Lima Bean Soup because I have a ham bone calling my name. :lol:

I have no recipe for the soup, but it contains lima beans, three meats - ham, thick sliced bacon and lean country ribs, celery (removed when soup is done), shredded carrots (for sweetness), tons of sauté onions, a bit of brown sugar to taste, and of course salt and pepper all simmer in the aforementioned luscious ham broth.

Yes, a very hardy rich soup.

ETA - Forgot to add parsley and a couple of bay leaves.

Jenny
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I am attempting to make mayo from scratch for the first time later today. More to come ....

It worked! A bit more colour than your average jarred mayo thanks to the farm eggs, and not quite as thick when you mix it into a tuna or egg salad, but delicious and lasted quite nicely for close to a week. Bonus: my first opportunity to use the wire whip attachment of my new KA Stand Mixer. :)

I am scared of broiling/using my broiler. Any tips?

PS - Who knew that drawer under the oven wasn't a drawer, but a broiler? hm. ;)

:confused: My oven has a drawer that some might use for warming, but I use to store fry pans. For broiling, I put the oven rack to the highest notch and set the broil function, which essentially turns on only the top element in the oven. Some recommend leaving the oven door open, but I've never seen the point of that other than keeping an eye on what you are broiling, as it can often be quite fast.

We're in the midst of a terrific cold snap here, so I've been craving comfort food. We had another couple over Saturday night for "Old School Saturday Night." I made country style steak with rice & gravy & green beans, and my friends brought an apple pie. It was sooooo comforting. Then we made a big pot of hot cocoa and played a no-tech board game. I felt like a satisfied 10 year old! Best of all -- leftovers tonight!

Sounds lovely! On Sunday we roasted a chicken with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, and I made a quick corn/red pepper/green onion/cumin/thyme/hot pepper flakes medley, plus a simple salad with homemade buttermilk dressing, yum yum yum. Our old school board game was played while the chicken was roasting - we love Scrabble.

I'm looking for some easy soup recipes? I like Crab bisque (sp), tomato, Mushroom, veggie soup. Any suggestions?
I have a great one for easy barley and ground beef to trade

I've posted this one before, but it's worth repeating - it's from Martha Stewart, an easy as can be tomato soup that tastes creamy and delicious, but actually contains no cream or milk. I've been making it for a couple of years now.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=064bd13cc97a7110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCR D&backto=true

New question: can anyone share their tips for making old fashioned oatmeal? My beloved departed grandmother used to make it, and the closest I've been able to get is ordering room service in nice hotels if you can believe it. It was almost pudding-like in consistency, and my mother recalls that she used to add some cream of wheat to it for texture. Any thoughts on oats, quantity, cooking method would be most welcome.

skaternum
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
On Sunday we roasted a chicken with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, and I made a quick corn/red pepper/green onion/cumin/thyme/hot pepper flakes medley, plus a simple salad with homemade buttermilk dressing, yum yum yum. Our old school board game was played while the chicken was roasting - we love Scrabble.

Mmmm, that sounds great. Once I eat up all the leftover roast turkey in my freezer (guess what we had for Christmas dinner), I'll go buy a chicken. I think it's time to make my classic Sweet & Sour Turkey with Peaches. It's great for leftover turkey, because it doesn't seem so turkey-ish. :lol:

Jenny
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Our chicken saga: many moons ago, when we were still in our beefaroni/tacos/takeout stage, we attempted to roast a chicken for the first time, and it almost ended in divorce. Much consulting of cookbooks, many tests for doneness, lots of arguing, and a crappy chicken in the end. I swear we didn't attempt a whole chicken for at least ten years after that.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when two far more confident cooks tried it again - success, and without the assistance of divorce lawyers! Now it's a fairly regular Sunday dinner for us, because of course we then get about two more meals out of it the rest of the week.

Hubby takes charge now, and I'll share his trick: he rotates the bird a couple of times during roasting, so that it's cooked and crispy on all sides, and no googly icky meat on the bottom (we quite like dark meat, so this was always a waste in the past).

bobalina77
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
We made (and by we I mean boyfriend haha) a really good pork stir fry last night that had chinese cooking wine and sesame oil in it. Two ingredients we've never used. He was really excited because it was a recipe from an actual cook book that he bought on Sunday.. the first cook book he's ever bought haha.

Now I wasn't just standing around doing nothing.. I was baking cookies :) We're becoming so domesticated.. it's a little scary :lol:

The Village Idiot
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
:confused: My oven has a drawer that some might use for warming, but I use to store fry pans. For broiling, I put the oven rack to the highest notch and set the broil function, which essentially turns on only the top element in the oven. Some recommend leaving the oven door open, but I've never seen the point of that other than keeping an eye on what you are broiling, as it can often be quite fast. Hmmm, shows what I know. I had googled (yes, I am a broiling virgin) and someone had said the broiler was the drawer, and I had thought it was too so I went with that. I think broiling/setting things ablaze would be far less scary if it were in the actual oven. Stay tuned tonight if I don't wimp out.

Cruella
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Hmmm, shows what I know. I had googled (yes, I am a broiling virgin) and someone had said the broiler was the drawer, and I had thought it was too so I went with that. I think broiling/setting things ablaze would be far less scary if it were in the actual oven. Stay tuned tonight if I don't wimp out.

On some ovens -- particularly gas ones -- it is the drawer underneath. Which means it's a very bad place to store things! ;)

The Village Idiot
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok, so how to I figure out which is my broiler w/o setting my whole kitchen on fire?

Rex
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Cuban sandwiches....:inavoid:. I don't have a sandwich press, so I am using a brick wrapped up in aluminum foil, it seems to do the trick. Tonight will be the last night, as I am running out of French Bread and pickles.

Stefanie
01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
On some ovens -- particularly gas ones -- it is the drawer underneath. Which means it's a very bad place to store things! ;)

Our old Caloric range had that, and now our old Chambers range (same one as seen on the Rachael Ray show) has the broiler that pops up next to the burners.