PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Cupid
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Just want to make sure that you're aware-

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon . . .

That is whyI prefer my handmixer - it's lightweight, powerful, and I find it quicker and easier than the stand mixer, which has been sitting in the basement storage now for years.

With respect to your cake layers, be sure to tap down the pan on the countertop before placing it in the oven - the batter may not be level and that is why it rises so much in the center.

orbitz
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Is it okay to use stock in your steamer instead of water? Just a thought....

I don't see why not. If you have a plastic steamer container then I don't think it'll retain the odor of the broth whereas a bamboo steamer might though, but it won't damage it.

bobalina77
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Just want to make sure that you're aware-

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

Really? I haven't had that issue at all. I've used it 3 times now (made cookies from scratch last night.. yay!) and it's done an awesome job at mixing on it's own. Mind you I'm used to using my mom's old stand mixer where the beaters stay in one place and the bowl turns which is completely useless :lol:

From my experience, unless you're using an oven thermometer to measure the temperature of your oven, I would change baking times before turning the temperature setting up or down. If you're oven tends to run hot, start checking whatever you might be baking for done-ness 5-10 minutes before the minimum recommended baking time in the recipe. Check every 5 minutes, and maybe even less than that if it looks close, but not quite. I know it seems like a hassle, but I've definitely had things get overbaked when I'm not as careful with the time.

Filling halfway is fine. As long as you don't go more than 2/3 you should be okay from my experience.

Interesting your observation about cupcakes. I always get better results making cupcakes than when using round pans too! I haven't figured out why either!

Actually I found out with my cookies last night that my oven is WAY hotter than it should be. It was supposed to be set at 375 and bake for 12 mins and after about 5 mins the cookies were burned on the bottom, unevenly brown on top and pretty much raw in the middle :lol: I turned it down to 300 and baked them for 12 mins and they came out beautifully! I was pretty excited :lol:

I made a spice cake (from a box again) night before last and it turned out better than the first cake I made. So I'm getting better! I've figured out though that I'm just not a huge fan of cake in general.. unless it's like a mousse cake or something.

Rob
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think I posted this before:

ENGLISH TRIFLE
It is really just a trifle of this and a trifle of that so you can substitute any of the ingredients for something you like!
Ingredients:
• Pound cake (or lady fingers or angel food cake)
• Raspberry Jam (or any other jam – I don’t recommend marmalade)
• Can of peaches/pears (cut up) or fruit cocktail packed in juice (need something with juice or light syrup to soak into the cake)
• Fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries or other favorite fruit
• Optional: Medium Dry Sherry (Amontillado)
• Birds Custard (can use other brands or pudding, but this is traditional Brit stuff)
• Whipping Cream

Directions:
Cut cake into slices, spread with jam, and make “sandwiches” with 2 slices put together. Break up and fit cake sandwiches into bottom of trifle or other large glass bowl.
Cover cake with fruit, including juice from canned fruit. If desired, pour to 1 cup of sherry over the fruit.
Make Birds Custard according to label on package till it starts to thicken. A small trifle takes 1 recipe of custard. A large one can take 1 to 2 recipes.
Pour hot custard starting in center of bowl so that hot custard doesn’t crack the glass. As it cools a little pour out to sides so all fruit/cake is covered.
Let trifle cool, then let set in refrigerator overnight or as described on Birds package.
When ready to serve, top with whipped cream.

Options: You can make a chocolate trifle by using chocolate cake or chocolate custard and putting chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream.

FiveRinger
01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know who makes a good store-bought hummus? I've never had it, but for my resolution this year is to step outside of my comfort zone. And, anyone who knows me knows that for me to even consider tasting hummus is a big leap. I want to taste it, but I don't want to make an huge investment in something I may/may not like. Any suggestions?

emason
01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know who makes a good store-bought hummus? I've never had it, but for my resolution this year is to step outside of my comfort zone. And, anyone who knows me knows that for me to even consider tasting hummus is a big leap. I want to taste it, but I don't want to make an huge investment in something I may/may not like. Any suggestions?

The 2 most prevalent brands where I live (Queens, NY) are Tribe and Sabra. Those in the know tell me that the local Israeli community really favors Sabra and doesn't think much of Tribe. I've eaten both and prefer Sabra myself; I didn't like the aftertaste I got with Tribe.

Habs
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
I made the best supper last night... chicken parmesan meatballs with spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce. :swoon:

Rex
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
• Raspberry Jam (or any other jam – I don’t recommend marmalade)
It sounds great - I've always wanted to make a trifle. But why not marmalade?

My experience has been to go with a local or regional brand. I haven't seen a national brand anywhere. Does one exist?

bobalina77
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I made the best supper last night... chicken parmesan meatballs with spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce. :swoon:

Mmm.. sounds awesome! I love making spaghetti sauce and letting it slow cook all day.. so frickin tasty!

emason
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
My experience has been to go with a local or regional brand. I haven't seen a national brand anywhere. Does one exist?

I think the Sabra brand may be national, but I am not 100% sure.

Rob
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
It sounds great - I've always wanted to make a trifle. But why not marmalade?
The peel has a bitter taste that is really good on some things, but does not blend as well in the trifle - and the little stringy peel pieces start floating around. In the case of lime marmelade, it is a little too tart.

I haven't seen Sabra before, but I like Tribe. If there is a Trader Joe near you, I like the Roasted Garlic hummus there.

Jodi
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I grew up with a tradition of sherry trifle on Boxing Day. It was a don't-drive-after-second-helpings trifle :lol: We always had a jelly base - sponge fingers soaked in the alcohol (in later years we often had it with port instead, which I like even better) then put into the dish and jelly made up and poured over to set before the other layers are added. I've never liked trifle myself, all that cold slime :scream: but I still love sponge fingers in jelly.

bobalina77
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Boyfriend and I found this trifle at the grocery store that had chocolate cake, chocolate and vanilla pudding, whipped cream and cream puffs on top. Not a traditional trifle but to die for none the less :swoon:

Jenny
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I am attempting to make mayo from scratch for the first time later today. More to come ....

The Village Idiot
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I am scared of broiling/using my broiler. Any tips?

PS - Who knew that drawer under the oven wasn't a drawer, but a broiler? hm. ;)