PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

maggylyn
12-31-2009, 08:44 PM
The cupcakes I made with the remaining batter (I only had one 9 inch pan and the mix makes 2 of those) were beautiful.. as was the frosting, but I have no idea what happened to the cake.

What kind of cake pans are you using? If they're thin or cheap, that might be your problem. ??

I live at high altitude and it's very handy to be able to blame everything on the altitude. :lol:

FiveRinger
12-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Okay, guys. I have a cooking challenge for you master chefs. I have an electric steamer, and I am determined to use it more. The problem is that food never tastes season--it always tastes really bland. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the food that comes out of the steamer tasty? I don't want to use excessive salt because that defeats the purpose of using it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

vesperholly
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Found this recipe on LiveJournal's poor skills community. It's yummy and really easy to make, and uses basic foodstuffs.

Puffy pancakes (or dutch baby or german pancakes)

2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (1 tbsp for pan, 1 tbsp for batter)
other ingredients to taste (cinnamon, vanilla)

Preheat oven to 400. Coat a 7" frying pan with 1 tbsp butter (melt in oven). Beat eggs together, then add rest of ingredients. Beat lightly until flour is in pea-sized clumps. Put batter into pan then cook until golden brown (~25 min). Batter will rise really high but deflates when out of oven.

I used melted frozen raspberries and a little bit of powdered sugar for topping.

My pictures:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2575/4233871983_13470f4935_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4233872333_5fbb95a055_o.jpg

sk8pics
01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
That looks really yummy!

And it reminds me that my cousin's husband made a fabulous breakfast last weekend for us: took some leftover baguettes and put slices in the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish, poured over eggs mixed with cream or milk or whatever you use to make scrambled eggs, added some leftover cut up ham, topped with cheese and more baguette slices. Baked around 40 minutes, I think at around 375 F or so.... I may try one of these tomorrow morning!

Jenny
01-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Okay, guys. I have a cooking challenge for you master chefs. I have an electric steamer, and I am determined to use it more. The problem is that food never tastes season--it always tastes really bland. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the food that comes out of the steamer tasty? I don't want to use excessive salt because that defeats the purpose of using it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've never used an electric steamer, but often use a metal basket over steaming water in a pot to do veggies. For more flavour, how about a few sprigs of fresh herbs on top to steam with the veggies? Rosemary and thyme should add a lot of flavour; parsley or celery leaves a bit more subtley.

Then after, butter is always good but if you don't want to do that, a toss with a bit of olive oil and some herbs and spices can make all the difference. For example, cumin works really well with carrots or cauliflower, and some hot chili flakes with broccoli can be quite nice too. Celery seeds or leaves are nice with green beans, along with some sauteed onions, and if you want to take it a step further, toast some chopped up almonds in a dry fry pan and toss in as well.

Let us know what you come up with!

My pictures:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2575/4233871983_13470f4935_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4233872333_5fbb95a055_o.jpg

Beautiful - thanks for sharing!

Last night, for our NY hangover dinner, I was defrosting the second half of turkey pot pie filling from Thanksgiving in November. We watched Jamie Oliver's Christmas special (had it on tape) and he had two great tips: first, strain the mixture to dry it a bit so it makes a more cohesive piece when cut later, but save the liquid and serve it as a gravy - yum!! The other idea was genius (as Jamie would say) - instead of forming the usual pastry crust on the edge of the baking dish, tuck it round the meat mixture so it forms a shallow dome. Worked *beautifully* with no pulling away from the edges and just the right amount of pastry.

We still have a bit more frozen turkey, so hubby wants me to do another one soon, with Jamie's sweet leeks, yum yum yum.

laurenjm
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Not a recipe but news about Crock Pots!

Its much healthier to cook meat and food in a crock pot than to bake, broil or roast!

So get those crock pots cookin! :)

bobalina77
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Really? Thats good to know.. I love using my crock pot! I just have a little one but I think we're gonna invest in a bigger one once we move. Boyfriend's already told my mom that we're planning on having some sunday dinners at our place so mom doesn't have to do the cooking all the time.. completely his idea with no prompting from me :lol:

So this might seem like a stupid question.. but being new to baking and all I need to know these things. I want to make peanutbutter chocolate chip cookies but every recipe says I have to cream the butter and sugar together. I know what that means (I'm not THAT baking dumb) but what speed should my mixer be on to do that? Need help from some experienced Kitchen Aid owners haha.

laurenjm
01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Really? Thats good to know.. I love using my crock pot! I just have a little one but I think we're gonna invest in a bigger one once we move. Boyfriend's already told my mom that we're planning on having some sunday dinners at our place so mom doesn't have to do the cooking all the time.. completely his idea with no prompting from me :lol:

So this might seem like a stupid question.. but being new to baking and all I need to know these things. I want to make peanutbutter chocolate chip cookies but every recipe says I have to cream the butter and sugar together. I know what that means (I'm not THAT baking dumb) but what speed should my mixer be on to do that? Need help from some experienced Kitchen Aid owners haha.

Ha, I don't use a mixer at all I do everything by hand, so you don't have to have a fast speed on your mixer, just enough to blend and cream the ingredients!

bobalina77
01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Okay so just on low should work then? I'm so hopeless haha!

orbitz
01-03-2010, 01:22 AM
I have an electric steamer, and I am determined to use it more. The problem is that food never tastes season--it always tastes really bland. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the food that comes out of the steamer tasty? I don't want to use excessive salt because that defeats the purpose of using it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You'll have to season the food before and/or after steaming or season the water before turning on the steamer. There are a lot of salt-free or low-sodium alternatives to flavoring your food. For steamed vegetables, I always sprinkle them with a lemon & pepper salt substitute. For fish, you can try steaming them with scallions, ginger or pepper. You can also try sprinkling seafood seasoning like O-Bay into the water before steaming, or use a low-sodium soy sauce as a condiment for eating any of the steamed white fish.

orbitz
01-03-2010, 01:24 AM

If the butter has been at room temperature for a while and it's soft then yes, the lowest speed setting on the mixer should work just fine.

Prancer
01-03-2010, 02:32 AM

If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, you can use low for mixing almost anything. I would never use a higher setting for cake batter, no matter what the instructions on the recipe say. It's very easy to overmix cake batter.

If you have a KitchenAid hand mixer, then I wouldn't use it for cakes at all. I have one of each and that hand mixer is awesome for a lot of things, but not for cakes. It's extremely powerful for a hand mixer and overbeats cake batter something fierce. Even being aware that this is a problem hasn't helped. I always use my stand mixer for cake batter.

FiveRinger
01-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I've never used an electric steamer, but often use a metal basket over steaming water in a pot to do veggies. For more flavour, how about a few sprigs of fresh herbs on top to steam with the veggies? Rosemary and thyme should add a lot of flavour; parsley or celery leaves a bit more subtley.

Then after, butter is always good but if you don't want to do that, a toss with a bit of olive oil and some herbs and spices can make all the difference. For example, cumin works really well with carrots or cauliflower, and some hot chili flakes with broccoli can be quite nice too. Celery seeds or leaves are nice with green beans, along with some sauteed onions, and if you want to take it a step further, toast some chopped up almonds in a dry fry pan and toss in as well.

Let us know what you come up with!

I have never been what you call a gourmet chef, but I am definitely going to try your suggestions. I have never tried fresh herbs before, so that will new. I do not care for celery, but I do like rosemary and thyme, so I will start with those. And I absolutely love onions. And of course, I will let you know how it works out for me!

You'll have to season the food before and/or after steaming or season the water before turning on the steamer. There are a lot of salt-free or low-sodium alternatives to flavoring your food. For steamed vegetables, I always sprinkle them with a lemon & pepper salt substitute. For fish, you can try steaming them with scallions, ginger or pepper. You can also try sprinkling seafood seasoning like O-Bay into the water before steaming, or use a low-sodium soy sauce as a condiment for eating any of the steamed white fish.

I hadn't even thought of low-sodium alternatives for flavoring food, so again, it's something that I plan to research. I plan to experiment with all of your suggestions and tell you which ones I like best.

Is it okay to use stock in your steamer instead of water? Just a thought....

BrokenAnkle
01-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Arrgh! I just dropped my apple crumble, hot out of the oven. Broke my favorite casserole dish and I was looking forward to the apple crumble all day. On the bright side I could have scalded my feet when it fall, but the boiling hot mass just missed them.

asdf334
01-04-2010, 06:03 AM
So I made the cake last night.. the mixer is fricken amazing! Even my boyfriend was amazed! Love the fact that I don't have to spend the whole time it's mixing scraping the sides of the bowl.

Just want to make sure that you're aware-

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't magically make me a good baker :lol: I made just a boxed mix cake and for some reason the top of it rose like crazy and the edges cooked faster than the middle did so they burned slightly. What's the deal? I know my oven is off a bit temperature wise so I adjusted that.. maybe not enough? Did I put too much in the pan? I only filled it half full.

From my experience, unless you're using an oven thermometer to measure the temperature of your oven, I would change baking times before turning the temperature setting up or down. If you're oven tends to run hot, start checking whatever you might be baking for done-ness 5-10 minutes before the minimum recommended baking time in the recipe. Check every 5 minutes, and maybe even less than that if it looks close, but not quite. I know it seems like a hassle, but I've definitely had things get overbaked when I'm not as careful with the time.

Filling halfway is fine. As long as you don't go more than 2/3 you should be okay from my experience.

Interesting your observation about cupcakes. I always get better results making cupcakes than when using round pans too! I haven't figured out why either!