PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

bobalina77
12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Soooo.. I need some good cookie and cake recipes to make with my new KITCHEN AID MIXER!!!!! It's so pretty! Cobalt Black.. which is good because since I don't own my own house black will go with everything no matter where we live. I guess my parents decided that since I've been wanting one for... oh.. three years now, that maybe I was serious about it :lol: I'm SO freaking excited to use it!!!

Jodi
12-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I made my first-ever vegetarian Christmas dinner yesterday :) I'm not vegetarian but two of five of us are so it seemed sensible just to go entirely veggie. I made this nut roast (http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2008/11/nut-roast-with-chestnuts.html), altering it just slightly by leaving out the cheese and adding in 50g of breadcrumbs and a tablespoon each of polenta and wheatgerm. It was sooooo good :swoon: I still have half the tin of chestnut puree left and I want to make another one!

My roast potatoes were also much enthused over :rollin: Oh, and I made a rather boozy tiramisu for pudding as well. Wheeee! I am completely and utterly exhausted today, like, falling over because my legs don't work exhausted :lol: but it was so much fun to be able to go all-out with the cooking :) (And baking for gifts before that!)

Jenny
12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
:lol:Yup, all that from one little chicken and when you only have $40 a week to spend on everything including food you "make it work!".

You are an inspiration - because in addition to saving money, you've accomplished two other worthy goals, and those are not wasting anything, and eating healthy portions.

Hubby and I have spent the last couple of years refining our diet to include as few processed and packaged foods as possible, and more healthy ingredients. Looking ahead, we are continuing on that path and trying to use food from its most original form, ie as little processing/packaging, chemicals, hands/distance, genetic modification as possible. It's like Michael Pollan says - instead of trying to figure out all the good things in a carrot and inject them into other foods, why not just eat the damn carrot?

In striving to eat better, at least we have one advantage that so many do not - we love to cook!

Jenny
12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Soooo.. I need some good cookie and cake recipes to make with my new KITCHEN AID MIXER!!!!! It's so pretty! Cobalt Black.. which is good because since I don't own my own house black will go with everything no matter where we live. I guess my parents decided that since I've been wanting one for... oh.. three years now, that maybe I was serious about it :lol: I'm SO freaking excited to use it!!!

Congratulations!!! Now maybe you don't need to be in a rush to get married, since you already have one of the big prizes ;)

Do share your cooking adventures, and of course we all want to know - what is your new baby's name??

Also wanted to share this with everyone - Avocado Deviled Eggs! http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/avocado-deviled-eggs

I made them Christmas Eve and served them without saying what the sekret ingredient was, and they were a smash hit. Easy to make, a little bit fancy and interesting, perfect party fare.

altai_rose
12-27-2009, 03:54 PM
My parents are throwing a New Years Eve party, and I'm in charge of making appetizers and desserts. I'm thinking of making bruschetta as appetizers and tiramisu and amaretti cookies as dessert. I've never made tiramisu before, but I'd love to try. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Christina
12-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Bobalina, the first thing I made with mine was the pizza dough. Make sure you have the temperature of the water correct, and I add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the recipe that came with the mixer.

Congrats! You have now doomed yourself to gain about 5 pounds from using your new baby!

bobalina77
12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Congratulations!!! Now maybe you don't need to be in a rush to get married, since you already have one of the big prizes ;)

Do share your cooking adventures, and of course we all want to know - what is your new baby's name??

I don't know what to name her.. I was thinking Nigella cause she's the only female chef I can think of who has dark hair.. but THEN I was thinking I shouldn't name her after a chef but maybe after Audrey Hepburn because of the whole little black dress phenomenon (and because I'm obsessed with her haha). So maybe Audrey? She is really pretty!

The other day I came home from work and I played with her.. just pulled the levers and took the bowl off and on. I haven't had a chance to use her yet though. It's boyfriend's birthday tomorrow and I think I'll make a cake, but not from scratch as I don't really have time and I'm not that brave yet :lol: I might attempt to make the icing from scratch though.. anyone have any good icing recipes?

immoimeme
12-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Here is a Mid-Winter Soup that I just made (up).

Fill your crock pot with about a cup of water. Put in the pot roast. Add a lil more water if you don't think that's enough.

Cook pot roast over night, or until it falls apart. Remove and "vet," putting the sort of fatty bits back in the water. Put the good parts in the frig for later eating.

Add the part of the coleslaw mix that is about to go over. Add the half container of pico de gallo that needs to be used up today. Pick over the mushrooms and cut up the ones that are about to go over, then add to pot.

Let the soup cook on Low all day. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches and apple slices.

bobalina77
12-30-2009, 04:19 PM
So I didn't make the cake last night.. I got sidetracked by a Wii :( I told my boyfriend that I was naming my KA Audrey and he thought it was cute haha. Then I told him I felt guilty that I didn't get his cake made because now Audrey probably thinks I love the Wii more than her. He said "Don't worry, you'll make it up to her.." haha.. I love that he plays along rather than just looking at me like I'm crazy :lol:

sk8pics
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
That's funny, bobalina77.

I am planning to make a chicken soup (with barley, lentils, carrots and tomatoes, yum!) tonight, tomorrow the potato cheese soup that I mentioned before, and then some tomato soup with black beans, and freeze single portions of all of these so I can get through the first couple of weeks of work in the new year. I also found some of the mixture I use to make chimichangas (ground turkey, fat-free refried beans, salsa, cheese) frozen and I'll get that out, too. Yum!

bobalina77
12-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Advice needed please!

So I made the cake last night.. the mixer is fricken amazing! Even my boyfriend was amazed! Love the fact that I don't have to spend the whole time it's mixing scraping the sides of the bowl.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't magically make me a good baker :lol: I made just a boxed mix cake and for some reason the top of it rose like crazy and the edges cooked faster than the middle did so they burned slightly. What's the deal? I know my oven is off a bit temperature wise so I adjusted that.. maybe not enough? Did I put too much in the pan? I only filled it half full. Boyfriend was very supportive and gave me a kiss and said "no.. it's perfect!" but it was far from perfect so I was like "you think anything I do is perfect.." and he was like.. "well.. yeah of course I do.." haha.

The cupcakes I made with the remaining batter (I only had one 9 inch pan and the mix makes 2 of those) were beautiful.. as was the frosting, but I have no idea what happened to the cake.

michiruwater
12-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Would it be terrible if I replaced castor sugar in a pavlova recipe with regular white sugar?... I've never made one. What is castor sugar?

skaternum
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
I made just a boxed mix cake and for some reason the top of it rose like crazy and the edges cooked faster than the middle did so they burned slightly. What's the deal?

What kind of cake pans are you using? If they're thin or cheap, that might be your problem. ??

BrokenAnkle
12-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Would it be terrible if I replaced castor sugar in a pavlova recipe with regular white sugar?... I've never made one. What is castor sugar?

Castor sugar is superfine sugar or baker's sugar. I would think your pavlova would be fine w/ regular sugar, but if you wanted to be safe, you could put your regular white sugar in a food process for a few seconds

http://www.ochef.com/580.htm

bobalina77
12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
What kind of cake pans are you using? If they're thin or cheap, that might be your problem. ??

I think they're Baker's Secret or something, I got it at the grocery store haha.. it seems nice enough. It's non stick and I followed the directions for non stick pans.

I can't even make a box mix cake.. how am I supposed to make one from scratch? :lol: