PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Japanfan
12-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Latest: We had dinner with friends at a new restaurant by one of our city's celebrity chefs, and had his signature Singapore Slaw among many other totally fabulous dishes. It's absolutely :swoon:, so we were trying to figure out all the ingredients. A quick search this morning turned it up on the FN site, and naturally it has 33 ingredients, several of which are not only difficult to find, but that I haven't even heard of! But I am determined to rise to this challenge, and am already planning a trip through the Asian markets to hunt it all down ...

I'm not sure if you refer to coleslaw when you say slaw.

An interesting and taste twist on carrot/cabbage coleslaw is to cut the mayo in half with peanut butter. I got this idea from a Cuban restaurant.

It's absolutely yummy and has a little zing. My SIL has experimented with this basic recipe by adding various chilies and using peanut sauces rather than peanut butter. I still think the peanut butter/mayo dressing is the basic, but you can try different things.

Jenny
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure if you refer to coleslaw when you say slaw.

An interesting and taste twist on carrot/cabbage coleslaw is to cut the mayo in half with peanut butter. I got this idea from a Cuban restaurant.

I think he calls it a slaw because of how it looks, not what's in it. There's no cabbage, but a lot of other veggies julienned and a creamy dressing, although with no mayo. There are sesame seeds and roasted peanuts though!

Your idea is interesting - becomes a bit of a Thai flavour, no? You could add some fresh cilantro on top, maybe a few hot chillies or green onions ...

*storing idea for next summer's BBQ season*

PS - made pizza dough with Betty last night - a dream!

mkats
12-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Calling all FSU bakers - I need your help!

We're currently still snowed in and I discovered a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix in the pantry and was going to make corn muffins today, but it turned out that we're out of those little paper liners. There's a recipe on the side of the box for cornbread, but it wants an 8" square pan for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. I don't have an 8" square pan either :shuffle: but I do have a bread pan that seems to be roughly 8 inches x 4 x 2. Is there a way I can adjust the cooking time to use this pan instead?

Thanks!

JAF
12-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Calling all FSU bakers - I need your help!

We're currently still snowed in and I discovered a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix in the pantry and was going to make corn muffins today, but it turned out that we're out of those little paper liners. There's a recipe on the side of the box for cornbread, but it wants an 8" square pan for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. I don't have an 8" square pan either :shuffle: but I do have a bread pan that seems to be roughly 8 inches x 4 x 2. Is there a way I can adjust the cooking time to use this pan instead?

Thanks!
Go for it what do you have to lose, just check on it several times after the 20 minute mark and check for doneness.

If you have one you could use a 9 inch relatively deep dish pie pan also

skatemommy
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
You could also use cooking spray in your muffin tin. I like them better this way, they are crisper than with the papers.

loopey
12-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Need Help!

I was helping a friend make Toll House Choc Chip Cookies. I thought she did everything by the directions, but they came out flat. No rising at all. What did we miss?

Cupid
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
My guess was that the butter was too soft.

loopey
12-23-2009, 08:31 PM
My guess was that the butter was too soft.
It was totally melted (liquid). I take it from your post that this was not good! Thx!

laurenjm
12-23-2009, 09:38 PM
With money very tight for DH and I have learned how to take one 3 1/2 pound chicken and make 5 meals from it!

1. Roast chicken w/gravy, veg and mashed taters.
2. Chicken soup w/crusty bread
3. Chicken salad sandwiches
4. Left over #1
5. Mexican rice dish

Yum!

mkats
12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Go for it what do you have to lose, just check on it several times after the 20 minute mark and check for doneness.

If you have one you could use a 9 inch relatively deep dish pie pan also

I ended up doing just this, baked for about 18 minutes and cranked back the temperature by 25 degrees. It came out beautifully :swoon: I also added about 1/2 cup milk instead of 1/3 and just a little butter to keep it moist, since the last time I made cornbread (all the way back in 6th grade for pioneer day) it was utterly disastrously dry and a horrible embarrassment.

Thanks too to skatemommy - I thought about that but then I realized we don't have cooking spray in this kitchen either. :slinkaway

Cupid
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
With money very tight for DH and I have learned how to take one 3 1/2 pound chicken and make 5 meals from it!

4. Left over #1
5. Mexican rice dish

Yum!

All that from one little chicken, you must eat like birds! :lol:

laurenjm
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
All that from one little chicken, you must eat like birds! :lol:

:lol:Yup, all that from one little chicken and when you only have $40 a week to spend on everything including food you "make it work!".

Lacey
12-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I had a great chicken, spinach, rice soup the other day, was much tastier than I thought it would be, had salt maybe?

skatemommy
12-24-2009, 11:29 PM
It was totally melted (liquid). I take it from your post that this was not good! Thx!

I'm not much of a baker but yes you are correct!

Japanfan
12-25-2009, 10:24 AM

4. Left over #1
5. Mexican rice dish

Yum!

Wow. One 3 1/2 pound chicken is pretty much one meal for the two of us. If I want lots of left-overs, I'll make two chickens.

You can stretch a meal a lot by making gravy and adding it to veggies and potatoes. That work for Mr. Japanfan but not me - I'm a true carnivore.

And if make a chicken soup I start with a whole chicken and usually use the slow cooker - then add dumplings or orzo, on occasion make avgolemono soup.

The soup is usually good for about six servings.