PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

neptune
12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I have a recipe somewhere called pesto cheescake.

Thanks, Cupid. You just jogged by memory--I probably would've never remembered this recipe otherwise. I made this ages ago, and thought it was really good. It originally appeared in Cooking Light, but doing a Google search didn't reveal much. It must have appeared in their magazine before 1995. Anyway, I don't know if the ingredients in the version below (which I found on a Web site) have been altered from the original, but it looks the same.

Savory Cheesecake

4 1/4 cup crushed onion-flavored Melba toast, divided
3 Tbsp. minced shallots
2 1/2 cups packed trimmed watercress
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 cups nonfat cottage cheese [note from me: I would personally use full-fat cheeses because they give so much more flavor]
3 oz. shredded provolone cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small can (8 3/4 oz) creamed corn
2 eggs

Coat the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of Melba toast crumbs; set aside.

Coat a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and place over medium high heat until hot. Add shallot, saute one minute. Add watercress and pepper, saute 2 minutes more.

In food processor, combine remaining Melba toast crumbs, and remaining ingredients. Process until smooth then add in watercress mixture and process until chopped. Press mixture into prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees for one hour and 15 minutes, or until almost set. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes. Chill at least 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Here's a similar version:

http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/recipes/article.aspx?rid=2156

Note the big difference in the amount of Melba toast used. I suspect the "4 1/4" in the recipe above is an error. It should probably be "1/4 cup." If I can ever locate the original, I'll edit this post.

skaternum
12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Nuts - depending on your diet, these can be great or not, but always filling and easy to pack or keep handy. There are tons of recipes out there for spicing them up as well, for variety.

I love nuts and regularly include the healthy ones as part of my diet, but I wouldn't really consider them filling and low calorie. They may be nutritious, but they're quite calorie heavy considering the quantity most people eat to feel full (or at least like you've eaten something). 11-12 almonds have over 100 calories. I don't even feel like I've eaten anything if I have 11 almonds.

Cupid
12-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Are you saying to leave the oven rack in the lowest position after the preheating, Cupid?

Yes. Place the rack on the lowest position available in the oven, then preheat the oven, and leave it on the lowest rack when baking.

Cupid
12-04-2009, 11:04 PM
18 servings

1 T. butter, room temp
1/4 c. fine dry breadcrumbs
1/2 c. plus 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

2 8-oz pkg cream cheese, room temp
1 c. ricotta cheese
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
3 large eggs
1/2 c. purchases pesto sauce
1/4 pine nuts

Fresh basil sprigs
Crackers

Preheat oven to 325F. Rub 1 T. butter over bottom and sides of a 9" diameter springform pan. Mix breadcrumbs with 2 T. grated Parm. Coat pan with crumb mixture.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, ricotta, remaining 1/2 c. Parm., salt and cayenne in large bowl until light. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Transfer half of mixture to medium bowl. Mix pesto into remaining half. Pour pesto mixture into prepared pan; smooth top. Carefully spoon plain mixture over; gently smooth top. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake cake until center no longer moves when pan is shaken, about 45 min. Transfer to rack and cool completely. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Run small, sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cheesecake, if necessary. Release pan sides from cheesecake. Transfer cheesecake to platter. Garnish with basil leaves. Surround with crackers and serve. (I like to use the Carr's plain wafer crackers.)

(Also, I cut it into diamonds on a diagonal right on the platter, so it stays attractive during presentation.)

I may try this again for office potluck Christmas lunch.

Glide2
12-05-2009, 02:19 AM
This blogger has some great high protein / low carb recipes

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link. I really like this site!

skatemommy
12-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the link. I really like this site!

Hi Glide, I orginally used her little quiche recipes, but so glad you like!

emason
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I personally use coconut oil for both baking and frying. It has a high smoke point when refined, so it doesn't burn easily. It's also very stable--you can leave it unrefrigerated for up to a couple of years and it won't go rancid. In the winter, you'll probably need to warm up the coconut oil a bit because it solidifies. Anyway, it has always worked great. The unrefined kinds have a nice smell too. Of course, if you want a totally neutral taste/smell, you can buy the refined kinds. There are a lot of varieties. Interesting suggestion - thanks. Also, thanks to others who replied.

Ajax
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I have developed a great loving for lacinato kale recently. :swoon:

I love lacinato kale too. Try it stir-fried with some shiitake mushrooms and roasted peanuts, with a drizzle of soy sauce on top. It's delicious!

neptune
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes. Place the rack on the lowest position available in the oven, then preheat the oven, and leave it on the lowest rack when baking.

Thanks, Cupid.

Interesting suggestion - thanks.

No problem, emason. Here's a link about using coconut oil for cooking:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/09/incorporating-coconut-oil-into-your-daily-life.html

Apparently, before the '80s, coconut oil was used extensively in the U.S. for baking, frying, and also making popcorn at movie theaters. It has been used by cultures all over the world for thousands of years, so it's obviously well-tested. :) You can also apply it to your hair or skin as a moisturizer.

Jenny
12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Bumping this thread up because the postman has just delivered a gift from hubby -
a KitchenAid Stand Mixer!!!!!!!!!!

I've always wanted one, of course, but not being much of a baker, it just didn't seem worth the investment and counterspace. But as we have been making pizza of late and other assorted baked goods, the world's greatest husband thought it was time and ordered one for me (after some consultation about colour - we went with red).

I'm so excited to make goodies for the holidays now :rollin:

bobalina77
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow.. happy early Christmas :swoon:

BigB08822
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Bumping this thread up because the postman has just delivered a gift from hubby -

I've always wanted one, of course, but not being much of a baker, it just didn't seem worth the investment and counterspace. But as we have been making pizza of late and other assorted baked goods, the world's greatest husband thought it was time and ordered one for me (after some consultation about colour - we went with red).

YAY! The one I got for my bf is red and we love it. He never uses it but I use it when I need to mix anything, even box cake, haha! It looks good just sitting on the counter.

Habs
12-15-2009, 09:11 PM

:cheer: :cheer:

Congratulations! Hubby and I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for a wedding gift (also red!) and I love it. I use it constantly and it is an absolute dream.

Enjoy it!

bobalina77
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Hmm.. my mom and boyfriend have been scheming behind my back over one of my Christmas presents and at one point I said something about the KA mixer and HE started telling ME about the different ones like he'd been looking into them or something. But I don't want to get my hopes up :lol:

Jenny
12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
YAY! The one I got for my bf is red and we love it. He never uses it but I use it when I need to mix anything, even box cake, haha! It looks good just sitting on the counter.

I know! First thing I did this morning was run down to the kitchen to look at it, and maybe caress it just a little ... I have the day off today, so I am plotting the first things I will make this afternoon. Will report in later!

We got the anniversary model, red with glass bowl: http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KSM158GBCA/